Apple's March 21st 2016 event

Caporegime
Are you still going to get one if they bump the price up by £100?

Forgive me I don't follow the rumours, is that the rumour? I was just expecting a new air 3 or something similar. If it is more expensive then yes imagine I will live with it. They last me years, we still have a iPad 1 and it seems I have had the 3 forever and my wife a 4.

Caporegime
I'm finding it harder to justify Apple stuff, not sure if this is a result of the exchange rate or just Apple getting complacent. £65 for a very average mouse? £79 for a wireless keyboard? £160 to go from 8GB RAM in a Mac mini to 16GB? Do one.

Caporegime
OP
Forgive me I don't follow the rumours, is that the rumour? I was just expecting a new air 3 or something similar. If it is more expensive then yes imagine I will live with it. They last me years, we still have a iPad 1 and it seems I have had the 3 forever and my wife a 4.

I'm just guessing. But if the new iPad is a smaller iPad Pro then if they price it at £399, as is the current iPad Air 2, then it will be a £280 price difference just to go from 9.7" to 12.9" or whatever the big screen size is. I think it would be more realistic for Apple to introduce it at £499 which reduces the gap to £180 then.

Soldato
The one thing I'd really like them to release is an update to the Cinema Display.

My credit card is itching to buy a 5k iMac with 5k ACD… one can dream.

Soldato
Oh come on! that's just tweaking around the edges, the odd speed bump, does my bum look big now with my new rear covering.

In reality it's changed little in overall design. The poor old Mini is a travesty from what it once was, again sealed to make upgrades very difficult for the consumer.

If you want to keep trotting out the Apple mantra then fine. However, some of us are capable of independent thought and can see that Apple are taking the consumer for a very expensive ride at present.

They need some good new products and not simply rely on old designs and the iPhone in order for them to keep making huge profits.

I don't buy into Apples stuff anymore, the last thing I bought was a few months ago, which was an i7 2012 Mac Mini (the fast one). I've just sold that though to build a Pc which will be more than twice as fast. I'm disillusioned by Apple and have been for years. I see no point in their current product trend with the exception of the top spec iMac which is a very nice machine.

What do you suggest they do with the iMac other than a poxy fusion drive as standard?

Soldato
The iMac is very useful for those in a design environment, they are quick (arguably perform better than the Mac Pro in certain tasks due to 4.0GHz clock speed on the top spec), have a very good screen and don't take up much space.

The new Mac Pro is built and designed for those using Apple apps. It's optimised for FCP and Logic, and whilst it's good for other stuff, it's just not worth the money. We still run 2012 Mac Pros at our office. They are showing their age but we're looking at doing an upgrade to dual X5960s, PCI storage and USB 3 cards. Then there's always the option of using a Cubix expander.

Soldato
Releasing a Mac mini that is good... That's what I hope for.

Quad core desktop skylake, and the same footprint. Don't give an option of a mechanical drive, and give it a decent amount of ram, without charging a fortune.

That would be very un-Apple though. Current Intel NUC has it beaten.

Associate
Releasing a Mac mini that is good... That's what I hope for.

Quad core desktop skylake, and the same footprint. Don't give an option of a mechanical drive, and give it a decent amount of ram, without charging a fortune.

That would be very un-Apple though. Current Intel NUC has it beaten.

...that is user upgradable. Dreading the day when I need to fork over a significant amount for a 16Gb/250-500Gb SSD when my late 2012 starts to get slow :|

Suspended
The iMac is very useful for those in a design environment, they are quick (arguably perform better than the Mac Pro in certain tasks due to 4.0GHz clock speed on the top spec), have a very good screen and don't take up much space.

The new Mac Pro is built and designed for those using Apple apps. It's optimised for FCP and Logic, and whilst it's good for other stuff, it's just not worth the money. We still run 2012 Mac Pros at our office. They are showing their age but we're looking at doing an upgrade to dual X5960s, PCI storage and USB 3 cards. Then there's always the option of using a Cubix expander.

But could you not have a better experience for less cash outlay with a Windows PC? Windows apps are just as good as the Apple platform for design these days and a good monitor takes up no more room than an iMac.

Soldato
I'm hoping to replace my old iPad 2 this month with the pro mini or whatever it's going to be called. I'm hoping £500 gets me a 64gb version. If so I'm sold. If not I'll try and pick up a cheap iPad Air 2 .

Caporegime
Feek I have to say I think removing my entire post for mentioning one word is a slight over reaction. The only forum-specific rules (https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17980915) on the matter are quite clear that the issue is distributing information on the how part of creating such a system.

The post basically said "an upgradeable desktop Mac will never be a thing, people have been asking for it for ages. If you want a Mac you upgrade yourself then the only way to get that is with a [thing that is apparently not allowed to be uttered]"

I am familiar with the rule, hence why I didn't throw in a link to a how-to or anything like that. I don't think the post you deleted broke the rules any more than the thread linked above.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If the rules are not to even mention said thing then can you please amend the rules thread to make that clear?

Back
Top Bottom