ELI5 - Setting up an old router as a WAP

Associate
Hi guys,

So I'm trying, and failing, to set up an old Belkin N+ router as a wireless access point on my BT Home Hub. So far it's gone like this:

BT Home Hub IP is 192.168.1.254
Set Home HUB DCHP range to 192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.252
Reset Belkin Router to factory
Connect to Belkin over wifi via 192.168.2.1
Disable DCHP on Belkin
Set Belkin IP to 192.168.1.253

This is as far as I can get. As soon as i assign the new IP address I obviously drop connection to the Belkin router - I can no longer connect either through the BT wifi or through the Belkin wifi which is still showing. I'm sure it is something really simple but it has me stumped - do I need to connect through a wired connection and if so how do I apply the BT SSID?

The routers are connected via ethernet cable (Not WAN ports)

Thanks

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'd definitely be using a wired connection to configure the Belkin.

You just need to get back onto the Belkin and configure the WiFi network to match the one on the BT HH.

No reason that this shouldn't work.

Soldato
Greetings redditor.

Do you want the Belkin to replace the AP in the Home Hub, or are you trying to set it up as a wireless repeater?

If the former, use a cable and turn off the wifi in the home hub first.

If the latter, first of all be warned that it often won't work the way you want it to (many people think they can "boost" their wifi strength using one, which is not the case, you should set up a repeater on the edge of the current wifi range to extend the wifi to places where the hub can't reach at all). That said, the factory firmware might not be able to do it. I'd personally put dd-wrt on it if possible and follow this guide. Other firmwares are available.

Associate
OP
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the fast replies (as always!) - I have managed to change the SSID and all seems to be running fine internet access wise. Strangely there is no request for a password when connecting via the Belkin Router?

Using as a wireless repeater to extend the range of wifi in the building.

Soldato
That's probably expected as the connecting device doesn't know if it's connecting to the Belkin or the HH, all it knows is the SSID matches so it uses the saved password. Still would double check it's encrypted.

Soldato
Make sure the wireless channels on both the BT Hub and Belkin are set on different channels as well, so they don't conflict with each other (eg BT on 1, Belkin on 6).

When both devices uses the same SSID and security type/password, the connecting device will not see a difference between the two.

Associate
From what you have posted the IP address you are connecting to on the belkin is outside the range. You have said its 192.168.2.1 that is where your going wrong.

All you have to do is set it up as you have turn dhcp off on the belkin have the same ssid and password on both and have the channels at least 5 apart. If you need static addresses use the 192.168.1 range.

Soldato
Post #4, it's a repeater.

Opening post:

The routers are connected via ethernet cable (Not WAN ports)

--------

From what you have posted the IP address you are connecting to on the belkin is outside the range. You have said its 192.168.2.1 that is where your going wrong.

All you have to do is set it up as you have turn dhcp off on the belkin have the same ssid and password on both and have the channels at least 5 apart. If you need static addresses use the 192.168.1 range.

His last step is setting the IP to 192.168.1.253 so it's in the same range as the BT Hub, as stated in OP :p.

Back
Top Bottom