Can I activate a fresh Windows 10 install using a Windows 7 Retail key?

Caporegime
Hi all

I'm running the Windows 10 free upgrade on my S775 PC. I've just purchased a new Z97 system and SSD, and want to do a fresh Windows 10 install.

I was going to follow this process:

1. Install retail Windows 7
2. Upgrade to Windows 10 using the offer
3. Re-format and install fresh Windows 10

However can I skip steps 1 & 2 and just install from a Windows 10 ISO on a bootable USB stick, then use my Windows 7 key to activate it?

It seems silly to force people to waste time going through the whole above rigmarole when there's a valid Win7 key that will allow Win10 anyway.

I've Googled but cannot find a definitive answer.

Cheers guys.

Last edited:
Associate
No you can't. Once the system has been upgraded to 10 from 7 and has been registered as such by Microsoft you can then do a fresh install of 10 in the future on that system, skip entering a key and MS will recognize the PC as having a valid win 10 license based on the hardware.

Soldato
Afresh as in literally from a formatted hard drive? Are you certain that isn't only for when you upgrade from 7?

That would be amazing if so.

latest ISO allows you to activate windows using a windows 7 or 8.1 key and doesn't require you to upgrade from a previous OS first like it used to be so a empty or blank HDD\SSD should work fine

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom