Fast DDR3 in a slower motherboard

Soldato
I just wanted to check that there won't be any problems running DDR3 2400Mhz in my AMD motherboard which according to the specs only supports up to 1866Mhz?

I'm guessing that the motherboard will just clock the memory down to 1866Mhz and everything should be fine?

Thanks for replies ;)

Soldato
OP
Thanks.

I suspected that the result of the memory being "underclocked" might be that the timings would be better.

Anyway, I went ahead and got hold of some 2400Mhz memory. My thought was that it will have more potential for future upgrades than slower memory and work out better value in the longer term.

Permabanned
I just wanted to check that there won't be any problems running DDR3 2400Mhz in my AMD motherboard which according to the specs only supports up to 1866Mhz?
I'm guessing that the motherboard will just clock the memory down to 1866Mhz and everything should be fine?
Thanks for replies ;)

thats right, are you buying new ram?

My thought was that it will have more potential for future upgrades than slower memory and work out better value in the longer term.

Anything 1600Mhz+ show little to no improvement in tests and in real world shows zero improvement.
the rule with ram is buy what cheap at the time of buying

Last edited:
Soldato
Another issue is DDR4 is already replacing DDR3 on newer systems. Intel has already pretty much adopted DDR4, and AMD's upcoming Zen should support DDR4 as well. Not much point in investing into an expensive DDR3 kit.

Soldato
OP
thats right, are you buying new ram?

I did end up getting new memory, but only because I managed to come across some barely any more expensive than the kind of prices second hand RAM is going for.

Back
Top Bottom