• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI 390 Thermal Paste causing Heat Issues. Replaced

Permabanned
My Sapphire nitro 390 which is running at 1100/1700 (1040/1500 stock) barely see's the low 70's!

I've always thought MSI to be good quality aswell! Maybe good components but bad quality control.

That sounds about right my TFIV 290x Gaming was a 94 degree card, I did a paste change but it did not help much. It remained in the 90's even with a 80-90% fan speed and no overclock.

Soldato
Sapphire seem to be consistently good, I moved from Sapphire to MSI for a few cards but I'm now back with Sapphire and glad of it.

I must admit my 5830 was sitting at 92C and my 390 normally sits around 60C ish and that's on stock settings so vast improvement over my last card lol

Last edited:
Associate
i think i have hight temps

you know sometimes my 980ti hits 80c on full load, the 2nd ti sits at around 60c, do you think i should apply better quality thermal paste?

also how easy is it to open up the card. clean out the old paste and apply new and a better quality paste?

I suppose the downside is voiding the warranty, so if a genuine fault occurred id have no warranty right?

Associate
As we speak mines at 60degress. So maybe its something i should be doing also with my 390 msi.

Really poor this is, but nothing really surprising into days world.

Associate
I have just replaced the thermal paste on my card after reading this thread.
As per pics below, same issue, way too much paste. Temps going into the 90's playing The Witcher 3 and fans spinning at 100%.
Replaced with just a little line of Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and fired up The Witcher 3.
Max temps 75'C, max fan speed 59%. The best thing about it is the reduction in noise from the fans. Highly recommend anyone with this card to do the same.

Soldato
I have just replaced the thermal paste on my card after reading this thread.
As per pics below, same issue, way too much paste. Temps going into the 90's playing The Witcher 3 and fans spinning at 100%.
Replaced with just a little line of Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and fired up The Witcher 3.
Max temps 75'C, max fan speed 59%. The best thing about it is the reduction in noise from the fans. Highly recommend anyone with this card to do the same.

What make was your GPU? MSI as well?

i have the sapphire Nitro 390 and i think the max temp i have had was 74c

Associate
I thought that I was a noob at pasting chips until this thread. Pretty terrible that it actually arrived like that, surely the temperatures would have been realised during testing before packaging.

At the very least I know Gigabyte do some sort of gauntlet testing before approving the card.

Associate
Did anyone find out if replacing the thermal paste will void warranty with MSI?

answer my own question: (contacted MSI)

"Replacing the thermal paste and breaking the seal in the process will not void warranty, as long as there is no physical damage to the card

Thank you and best regards

MSI

Mainboard and VGA Customer Service"

So replaced the thermal paste on my 390x and my max temps are now 74 degrees.

Last edited:
Associate
How did you contact them Rensin? I asked them via their website support ages ago and they said no although I'm not sure they understood what I was asking them.
A year after that I got fed up and replaced it anyway and then wished I had done it soon due to the difference it made.

Associate
How did you contact them Rensin? I asked them via their website support ages ago and they said no although I'm not sure they understood what I was asking them.
A year after that I got fed up and replaced it anyway and then wished I had done it soon due to the difference it made.

Just opened up a support ticket and got a reply this afternoon.

Was my first time dismantling a graphics card and tbf it was much easier than it looked.

thanks Randall for the heads up.

Back
Top Bottom