What to use to fill gap above back door?

Soldato
I have a small gap about my back door which I have been ignoring for a while now but it's about time I sorted it out but I'm not sure what to use to fill it.

This is the gap (there's normally trim on the outside but I removed it so I could get a picture of the gap):
20160319_112903_zpslkjgpbdz.jpg

It's not a huge gap but lets in quite a draft.

Any thoughts on what would be the best way to fill it? I had though maybe expanding foam but It's such a small area it would be a bit of a waste as I don't have any other jobs that need it at the moment. Are the any other options?

Ideally it needs to be something with a bit of flex as there is a bit of movement in the door frame, would decorators caulk do the job?

Soldato
Foam is great, but if exposed to light it will eventually turn a horrible orange colour and start to degrade. Foaming the gap and then cutting the foam flush and sticking a trim over would be the ideal solution.

If you cant find any PVC trim, you could get a piece of timber trim and paint it white and then stick this into place to cover the gap and seal it up with a fine silicone seal. You dont actually have to fill the void with foam if you stick a trim on the inside, leaving a cavity will be fine, or you could even recycle a bit of polystyrene packaging and stuff that in there before putting the trim over.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Foam is great, but if exposed to light it will eventually turn a horrible orange colour and start to degrade. Foaming the gap and then cutting the foam flush and sticking a trim over would be the ideal solution.

Sounds like the perfect way to do it! :)

If you cant find any PVC trim, you could get a piece of timber trim and paint it white and then stick this into place to cover the gap and seal it up with a fine silicone seal. You dont actually have to fill the void with foam if you stick a trim on the inside, leaving a cavity will be fine, or you could even recycle a bit of polystyrene packaging and stuff that in there before putting the trim over.

Hmmm, I think I have some polystyrene wosits somewhere I could use those...

Fill the gap with some expanding foam as suggested above then stick on a piece of this with some silicone.
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-PVCu-White-Cloaking-Profile-45x2500mm/p/162621

I think I have some of that spare somewhere. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Soudal Flexifoam is made for this, wont expand too much and remains slightly flexible so the slight frame movement with the door slamming wont crack it and it should remain airtight. Like has been said, either finish with mastic or trim, or even air tight adhesive tape and then trim for belts and braces.

Soldato
I recommend covering as much door as possible with bin bags and sticky tape
That expanding foam is a bugger to clean off if/when it drips/expands :)

White spirit/solvent cleaner will clean it up if you get to it before it dries.

Not at all, if you know how to use it properly. Wd40 or any spray type oil based lube will clean it off any surface.

Back
Top Bottom