Struggling to make the next move / career change!

Man of Honour
Hi All,

I am hoping some of you fantastic people will be able to give me a little advice on what to do with my "career" so far!

I have been working for "the" biggest software company since I graduated in 2013, as an Infrastructure/Cloud Service consultant. It has been a mixed experience that looks like this:

- Hired into Developer Role
- Trained
- Forced to move to different technology (outside of my expertise)
- Terrible manager, made worse by my inexperience
- 18 months of poor performance reviews, being shouted at, grilled and berated
- New Manager
- Excellent Reviews and feedback since
- Great response from customers etc. since.

Now the problem is, due to my shaky start and internal politics my upward progress is almost completely blocked - so I want to get out and get on!

The problem is, I am not sure where I want my career to lead - and don't know a great deal about what else I could consider. I think I want to go back to Development/Dev Ops - but my lack of recent experience seems to be a problem when looking for jobs.

I guess what I am hoping for is someone to help me understand how to think my way through my next move (as this is only my first "real" job) and also get an idea of the kind of roles that exist.

I do know
- Would rather not continue with consultancy
- A more technical position
- Less travel (500-1000 miles a week sucks!)

Sorry for the confused post!

Ps. An Anonymous LinkedIn dump for anyone interested -> https://onedrive.live.com/redir?page=view&resid=E085E42EDDE6B074!943672&authkey=!AMGt7rcvKUxDiXA

Last edited:

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Could you move into a different area of the company?

Away from the consulting/current people if it's that big a place if you wanted to still stay there but do something different?

Your 'anonymous' linked in dump does give away who the company is!

Last edited:
Associate
+1 for a sideways move.

Or, jump ship? Market is looking relatively good right now for dev roles in the south east, although I'm a Java guy predominantly.

Also it's not impossible to find out who you are based on the content of the LinkedIn profile and putting 2+2 together.

Associate
I'd probably look for an internal vacancy in addition to searching the wider job market. You're probably more likely to be offered a position internally, but then it'd be courtesy to tell your manager you're thinking of leaving for another role which you might not want to do.

Man of Honour
OP
I am currently looking for a sideways move internally, but sadly a lot of our technical jobs are no longer in the UK.

I figured it wouldn't be hard - a quick google of the OneDrive token and the first line of my "bio" gives me away - just didn't want it to be obvious to a search crawler :)

I will reply properly when I am not half alseep !

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
For me the giveaway was the search replace I'm assuming you did on the company name, as it also replaced some obvious words in the technologies list ;)

Back
Top Bottom