BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
I'm not sure if the injector mixing thing was only an issue for the N54 or if it was the N53 too. I think it was for both as my mum's car has the N53 and a couple of the injectors needed changing as part of a "quality enhancement " but they couldn't just replace these two and had to do all six.

I haven't really looked at E9x stuff for a while so it's all from memory, but the £120 injectors BMW sold were not compatible with the newer £220 ones.

Again I'd recommend checking all part numbers etc. What ones did you get from ECP? I'd be careful you haven't received some of the older design injectors especially if they were £120 as this is almost exactly what the old injector pricing was.

What part numbers have you got? Were they BMW branded ones you got from ECP?

Edit: also IIRC, the N53 had an injector "recall" (not a proper recall, but were replaced FOC on a customer complaint basis). Might be worth exploring. Maybe it's already been done? What part numbers have you got on the injectors currently in the car? If they're a later design post 2009 when the car was built, this may be already been done.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah the N54 is the N53 but just with a turbo bolted on from what i have gathered.

I have already been onto BMW about it and they say there is no recall or enhancements for injectors on my car. It got recalled in 2012 for all new coilpacks.

The injectors i have bought match up with the existing injectors:

ngsH9GW.jpg

That is the exact injector that BMW tried selling me for £221. So i think it must be the newest version? BMW catalogue is also showing the same parts number.

Only thing i can see different on the injectors is that after the part number on the injector it'll have 2 extra digits like _07 and _11. Not too sure if this has anything to do with anything? Going to pull off the cover again in a minute and have another look at them all now ive spotted this.

Thanks for helping :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah, you might of just helped me to crack it.

The existing injectors are all the same part numbers except for the last 2 added numbers. existing _07 and the new ones i have put in are _11

Guessing this means the injectors are a newer build? Don't suppose you have any idea on this?

Will ring BMW now and see if i can get any info out of them about this.

Permabanned
Injectors with index 10 and lower have a different calibration and construction than injectors with index 11 and higher. Due to this difference, the injectors with index 10 and lower and injectors with index 11 and higher cannot be mixed in the same engine.
The index number can be found on the head of the injector after the BMW part number. Example: 13 53 8 616 079-11. "11" is the index number

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
I fitted CSC6s to my car today - completely transformed the ride and the noise levels are vastly down from the Bridgestone RE050As that were on there before.

Easily the best £600 I have ever spent on any car ever.

Soldato
Injectors with index 10 and lower have a different calibration and construction than injectors with index 11 and higher. Due to this difference, the injectors with index 10 and lower and injectors with index 11 and higher cannot be mixed in the same engine.
The index number can be found on the head of the injector after the BMW part number. Example: 13 53 8 616 079-11. "11" is the index number

Oh wow, nice one! Where have you found that information?

Thanks

Soldato
Ah nice one! Thanks for finding that.

Looks like i will have to change the lot then.

Just hope it sorts it as ill be proper kicking my self if the problem is still there after throwing 6 new injectors in. Hope it hasn't damaged the 2 new injectors having them in there as i did take the car for a drive last night, thinking maybe the injectors needed a few miles on them to bed them in.

Will report back tomorrow if my car is still on the drive or gone off a cliff :p

Soldato
Yeah the N54 is the N53 but just with a turbo bolted on from what i have gathered.

The N53 is more advanced and was more of a next gen engine at the time. The N54 uses the older M54 as a base with various bits modified on it. The N55 was the next gen version of the N54.

I have already been onto BMW about it and they say there is no recall or enhancements for injectors on my car. It got recalled in 2012 for all new coilpacks.

The injectors i have bought match up with the existing injectors:

ngsH9GW.jpg

That is the exact injector that BMW tried selling me for £221. So i think it must be the newest version? BMW catalogue is also showing the same parts number.

Only thing i can see different on the injectors is that after the part number on the injector it'll have 2 extra digits like _07 and _11. Not too sure if this has anything to do with anything? Going to pull off the cover again in a minute and have another look at them all now ive spotted this.

Thanks for helping :)

No probs. As teenwolf has already mentioned this relates to the index mark. Hopefully this'll fix it. Strictly speaking the index mark 11 injectors only need to be on the same bank as each other but I think most people have all 6 replaced (but under warranty rather than paying £120 per injector). If you're able to do it yourself it might be worth doing one bank with the new injectors and 1 bank with the old ones and see what happens.

If this fixes it, mine will be a pint :D ;)

Last edited:
Man of Honour

It's actually a completely different engine - it's even a different capacity. As Gaygle points out the N54 is actually M54 based (The 3 litre six from the E39/E46) but with a new direct injection system, turbocharging etc.

Whereas the N53 is in theory a more modern engine - it's a magnesium alloy block and also has Valvetronic which the N54 doesn't.

This is why the N53 is significantly more efficient than the N54 - more efficient than simply the lack of a turbo would suggest it ought to be.

Soldato
Talking of injectors, I had all 6 of mine replaced under warranty last week. Car was in for something else, they ended up keeping it overnight and when the tech started it in the morning, he noticed a 'slight misfire'. Given the original issue was a warranty one, it was effectively free.

I did ask them why they replaced all 6 on a single misfire (which would imply 1 faulty injector?). Service guy said something about the fact that you can't just replace one, as they all have to be 'in sync'. I'm assuming he was talking about the fact that you can't mix/match newer and older injectors?

Soldato
[TW]Fox;29315947 said:
It's actually a completely different engine - it's even a different capacity. As Gaygle points out the N54 is actually M54 based (The 3 litre six from the E39/E46) but with a new direct injection system, turbocharging etc.

Whereas the N53 is in theory a more modern engine - it's a magnesium alloy block and also has Valvetronic which the N54 doesn't.

This is why the N53 is significantly more efficient than the N54 - more efficient than simply the lack of a turbo would suggest it ought to be.

I didn't think that the N53 had valvetronic as there wasn't space in the cylinder head due to the direct injection system.

Soldato
I didn't think that the N53 had valvetronic as there wasn't space in the cylinder head due to the direct injection system.

The N52 did, the N53/N54 didn't as D.I. was favoured in combination with the traditional double VANOS. The N55 finally included both D.I. and Valvetronic (which replaced the double VANOS system).

BTW no one is going to judge you if you decide to screenshot your post, frame it and mount it on the wall, as it is one of the only times in 14 years I've seen someone correct Fox on useless BMW technical knowledge.

Last edited:
Soldato
Talking of injectors, I had all 6 of mine replaced under warranty last week. Car was in for something else, they ended up keeping it overnight and when the tech started it in the morning, he noticed a 'slight misfire'. Given the original issue was a warranty one, it was effectively free.

I did ask them why they replaced all 6 on a single misfire (which would imply 1 faulty injector?). Service guy said something about the fact that you can't just replace one, as they all have to be 'in sync'. I'm assuming he was talking about the fact that you can't mix/match newer and older injectors?

When N53 and N54 engined cars are going into BMW for work, the injectors are being looked at and replaced. Contrary to what BMW told Rybo about his not having any quality enhancements, they cannot tell this from the VIN number alone and the injectors need to individually be scanned. That said, I'm sure they will know the VIN numbers of the cars that have the *possibility* of having the faulty injectors. A few years ago, they would scan all 6 and maybe one or two were found to be from the faulty batch, so would just replace them, but now with the introduction of the later index 11 injectors, it now often becomes necessary to replace them all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom