Domain Name Question

Associate
Hi all, I would like some advice. I am looking to change my current gaming website and change it's name to something more obvious. I was looking at a new domain name and I was wondering the following:

How would I go about changing my current domain name over to a new one I want to buy? probably a stupid question, but I can't find a definitive answer out there.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Anthony

Associate
You don't.

You buy your new one and point it at the same IP address (yes you can have multiple domains pointing to the same IP) and let your old one expire.

Permabanned
By pointing the new domain to the main public_html folder of your domain and updating DNS to point to the same server.

Soldato
By pointing the new domain to the main public_html folder of your domain and updating DNS to point to the same server.

This. but the folder isnt necessarily called "public_html". Depends on your host.

Also, you may need to update the website. Wordpress, for example, has some references to the domain name stored in the database so these need to be changed (there's plugins that can do it for you)

Associate
Also some hosting solutions will not allow you access unless accessed via the domains they know about, this is the case for some shared or cloud hosting solutions like Azure where many public sites have the same IP but it is then routed using the accessed domain.

This can often be solved by adding your new domain to some setting in the hosts control panel, they may then check you are the actual registrar of that domain, either by comparing their known records or contacting the registrar.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice all. To be honest it is not ranked on Google and this is why I want to change the domain to something more related to gaming. I did notiice when I was looking around at redirects and seen the options in Cpanel. I use Vidahost and wordpress, so would have to look into the plugins to change references.

Thanks again all.

Back
Top Bottom