BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Right, I need a cable and software for my E46 and my wife's E39. I used to use BM Technic and DIS, but no longer have a 32 bit machine and I CBA to go through all the rigmarole of failing to get it to work (if it can even be made to work). I have no real inclination of faffing about and would like something that gives me lots of diagnostic options/capability with minimal fuss in terms of install (and operation if possible).

What's out there that's worth bothering with and at what cost?

Cheers!

ADT

ADT

Associate
Thought it might be better to post here.

So my windscreen washer jets have recently become weaker and weaker over the past couple of weeks and now I get nothing from them at all. No noise from the motor either (if it even makes noise?). My headlight washers work fine though.

Any tips guys? Got my mot next week as well :angry:

Car is an e46 330ci convertible 2004.

Soldato
Well, if it's anything like my Z4 (which was built from an E46 parts bin), there are two pumps for the washers - one is for the windscreen and the other is for the headlights. The fact that one works and one doesn't would suggest the windscreen one is on the blink. You could always try plugging the cable for one into the other and vice versa - this would show you whether it's the pump or something else before you go buying parts.

Sam

Sam

Soldato
Signed the paperwork for my M2 last week, went for:

Long Beach Blue
DCT
Heated Seats & Steering Wheel
Sun Protection Package
Harmon Kardon
Folding Mirrors

Delivery set for end of June :)

Soldato
Right, I need a cable and software for my E46 and my wife's E39. I used to use BM Technic and DIS, but no longer have a 32 bit machine and I CBA to go through all the rigmarole of failing to get it to work (if it can even be made to work). I have no real inclination of faffing about and would like something that gives me lots of diagnostic options/capability with minimal fuss in terms of install (and operation if possible).

What's out there that's worth bothering with and at what cost?

Cheers!

CableShack make some excellent one click install software which works on my 64bit Windows 10 laptop without issue. You should also buy their cable whilst your at it. All in all, I think it comes out at about £35.

Thought it might be better to post here.

So my windscreen washer jets have recently become weaker and weaker over the past couple of weeks and now I get nothing from them at all. No noise from the motor either (if it even makes noise?). My headlight washers work fine though.

Any tips guys? Got my mot next week as well :angry:

Car is an e46 330ci convertible 2004.

The washer bottle has a filter in them where each motor sits into it. Worth taking the bottle out and giving it a clean to remove gunk from the filter. Check the pump whilst you're there and blast out any gunk. If that doesn't work a new washer pump is around £5. Could try checking the fuses first though?

ADT

ADT

Associate
Well, if it's anything like my Z4 (which was built from an E46 parts bin), there are two pumps for the washers - one is for the windscreen and the other is for the headlights. The fact that one works and one doesn't would suggest the windscreen one is on the blink. You could always try plugging the cable for one into the other and vice versa - this would show you whether it's the pump or something else before you go buying parts.

The washer bottle has a filter in them where each motor sits into it. Worth taking the bottle out and giving it a clean to remove gunk from the filter. Check the pump whilst you're there and blast out any gunk. If that doesn't work a new washer pump is around £5. Could try checking the fuses first though?

Thanks guys, I'll have a look at the fuses first then I'll go ahead and remove the tank as it looks simple going by this DIY:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=891184

Soldato
I've been given a monthly car allowance at work and now need to go and buy something to replace my current wreck of a car....

I commute 14k miles per year (2.5 hours per day) so want it to be a comfortable experience.

Not had a car allowance before but looks like I have 3 options if I only want to use my car allowance and nothing else:

1) Approved used car on a 3-4 year PCP deal (£16k-£17k car) - Low deposit £1500 with monthly payments around £250pm - Hand the car back.
2) Lease - something like a Seat Leon FR TDI or Skoda Octavia VRS TDi.
3) Bank loan - Can borrow around £11,000 over 5 years to use up my car allowance. Buy something less expensive..

Not normally one for finance but it seems I could get something like this 520d on a PCP dea. : http://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/5-Series/...5601373-3497003.aspx?srcmdc=se_na_re_#finance

How reliable are these? I owned a coule of E46 in the past and they were great.

Last edited:
Soldato
Picked up the F20 M135i yesterday. The weather was poor and the roads were mostly congested so didn't really get chance the stretch her legs but initial impressions are very good.

It's not really all that different inside to the F30 I had for a week a few months back, it feels very premium for a hatchback.

Stock dealer photos of my car;

VTWHCYah.jpg.png

K3AE1k6h.jpg.png

I arrived at the dealer and it had been in for an MoT two days prior, which it had failed on account of the tyres, so they've changed them for brand new Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

No complaints...

J3gtnk0h.jpg.png

KKtlToFh.jpg.png

t1MUSnSh.jpg.png

More pictures to follow when I can take it out somewhere more scenic and indeed given her a decent clean over.

There's not a great deal to say about the car other than it seems more comfortable than my E46 and it's a tiny bit quicker too :D

Soldato
F20 M135's are amazing, especially in that blue.

Thanks! It had to be blue, I almost bought a black one but very much glad it fell through.

I know they're popular and estoril seems to be the colour of choice but they just don't tickle my junk.

That's fair, they aren't for everyone. I'm certainly not completely sold on all of the angles, from some it doesn't look pretty at all. I much prefer the 5dr to the 3dr version mind. Coming from an E46 which is a timeless design IMO, it's going to take some adjusting.

But for ~£20k with RWD, a 0-62 less than 5s, warranty, 30mpg, relative comfort and all the toys you could want, I'm not sure there's anything else on my list right now.

Caporegime
Thanks! It had to be blue, I almost bought a black one but very much glad it fell through.

That's fair, they aren't for everyone. I'm certainly not completely sold on all of the angles, from some it doesn't look pretty at all. I much prefer the 5dr to the 3dr version mind. Coming from an E46 which is a timeless design IMO, it's going to take some adjusting.

But for ~£20k with RWD, a 0-62 less than 5s, warranty, 30mpg, relative comfort and all the toys you could want, I'm not sure there's anything else on my list right now.

Agreed! The e46 is still my favourite shape, particularly the facelift.
You're right though that the price to performance mark is fantastic, shame they're just a little fugly!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Do the 1 series models not come with the newer and much much much better+nicer steering wheel? The massive airbag centre just looks gawdy on what is otherwise a sport trim level :)D) model. Barge steering wheels are for barges :p

Soldato
The new wheel is fitted on LCI M135i's, and a few interim 2014 cars got it too. It is much nicer than the original wheel which, among other things, obscures the black panel display.

This.

The new steering wheel is vastly improved, I did enjoy it in the 3 series but unfortunately I'd have had to buy a car a year newer to take advantage of it in the M135i.

It looks bigger than it actually is in the bigger, it certainly doesn't feel like a barge in the flesh ;)

Soldato
A massive thanks to everyone who helped, especially Teenwolf and Gaygle. Deffo owe you both one.

Last night i swapped around the injectors and coded them and the car started up beautifully. Wasn't going to get excited until i started it up again today and took it for a drive, again it started up like it should and drove flawlessly.

Got my money back for the 4 injectors aswell. Happy days!

Thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom