new server, building it myself

Soldato
hi

i have purchased some older pc componenets, core i3 intel, and was going to buy a nas drive. i purchased a micro case so i thought i'd build a server.

i am going to use it for back up - not stuff i would cry if i lost - but movies, games etc. i also want to use it to stream and if so, do some remote control from my mobile at work. at home, i'll use plex and utorrent.

whats the best os to use with this? i am not experienced with linux but could learn. i will attach it to my router or ustairs on the hub which is attached to homeplugs.

Soldato
I use Ubuntu server edition.
Plex server, transmission for torrents plus a few other things I need (mfi, unifi and unifi video)

Most stiff you can Google for a walk through but you learn as you go.

Soldato
Ubuntu LTS would be my go-to for a home server. Huge repositories out of the box, recent kernel versions on release for broad hardware support, five year support cycle. The use of systemd in 16.04 is icing on the cake really, serves as a great overall introduction to the current state of the Linux world.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you've got a spare Windows licence then there's no harm in using it especially if you're already familiar with it. Linux is great but it does have a learning curve and if things go skew whiff then you may have issues tracking down the problem.

Soldato
Or this. For a home server there isn't all that much difference aside from smaller repositories, shorter support cycle, and older kernel and package versions. Unlikely to make a world of difference either way.

esxi and vm everything? until you find something you are happy with.
You could do this. I'd pick KVM every time, though on a Windows desktop this would mean that you'd need to get VNC access to use virt-manager if you want a GUI (or run a Linux VM for the purpose).

Back
Top Bottom