Recommend me a DECENT laptop-tablet!

Associate
Having a hard time trying to find a proper decent specced laptop/tablet.

I need something with the performance of a relatively decent laptop but as just a screen/tablet form factor. All of the ones I've seen are **** though, only 2gb memory and only have tiny mmc cards with no option to upgrade.

I need at least 6 gb ram and a couple hundred gb SSD. Processor isn't AS important as I won't be doing particuly heavy cpu based work on it, but will need to be able to handle multiple media applications and internet based stuff. (so decent ram and HD space is a MUST).
Also it needs to have USB ports, 2 minimum but 3 or more is ideal.

Basically, I do a lot of agricultural work where I am away for long periods and live in a caravan for several months at a time so having something I can stick a load of TV series, films, music etc on is a must.
Also something with a smallish/portable size/form factor would be handy as I want to be able to mount it in my tractor/combine so I can load up music, tv/videos or internet whilst I'm going up and down fields all day (don't worry, its all GPS guided so I'm not gonna crash or anything... Farming is boring as F*ck!).
Also, I do a lot of vlogs and stuff and was thinking it'd be cool to do live streams and stuff - rig up a couple of cameras and I can live vlog whilst working - something I've wanted to try out. I have a contract 4G dongle that gives me unlimited data allowance and I get decent speeds so it's perfectly doable.

is there any options then for a decent screen/tablet style laptop which isn't too big, has a decent hard-drive and memory and has USB slots?
Also, can you get 12v cigarette chargers for such devices? If not no worries, I can rig up an inverter.

thanks.

Soldato
I've just bought an Asus 100HA. It runs perfectly fast with a 12 hour battery, and I've added a 128gb micro SD and a 128gb tiny usb drive. It also charges using a standard micro usb charger (2a).

Nothing you've mentioned above wouldn't work on this, and you'd have saved almost £1000.

Associate
OP
I've just bought an Asus 100HA. It runs perfectly fast with a 12 hour battery, and I've added a 128gb micro SD and a 128gb tiny usb drive. It also charges using a standard micro usb charger (2a).

Nothing you've mentioned above wouldn't work on this, and you'd have saved almost £1000.

USB input limitations tho...

I Need to be able to plug in a usb internet dongle, webcam/s and also be handy if I have an extra one spare for a usb drive/hdd

Soldato
I just bought an HP Spectre X360 directly from HP for around £750. 2-in-1, so the screen rotates all the way around.

i5 6200u
8Gb RAM
256Gb SSD
3xUSB 3.0
Full size HDMI
Mini Displayport

Soldato
USB input limitations tho...

I Need to be able to plug in a usb internet dongle, webcam/s and also be handy if I have an extra one spare for a usb drive/hdd
It's got 3 USB ports. A USB c - which you'd want to plug the drive into and a USB 2 for the 4g on the keyboard. It's got a full hd camera built into it facing you for webcam. Or you could plug into the moicro USB if you wanted even higher quality.

Associate
OP
It's got 3 USB ports. A USB c - which you'd want to plug the drive into and a USB 2 for the 4g on the keyboard. It's got a full hd camera built into it facing you for webcam. Or you could plug into the moicro USB if you wanted even higher quality.

thing is the keyboard will be useless to me, i just want a screen to mount up on to the windscreen in my tractor/combine/sprayer etc and work it via touch-screen.

Unless the keyboard is wireless?

Back
Top Bottom