Young Professionals, Friends and Social Media

Associate
Not sure where I'm going with any of this but does anyone experience an element of loneliness in London at a certain age?

I'm 30 and I changed job recently (been working quite hard in the first 6 months). I still live and work in London and most of my close friends have moved away and/or gone travelling.

Go find/start a hobby. I felt that my circle of London friends was dwindling slightly (mainly as people got partners and moved outside of the M25), and have met a whole new group of people that way.

Permabanned
Loneliness can come at any stage of your life. Location is immaterial.

Its normal.

Don't worry about it. Things pan out the way you want them to once you're aware.:)

I feel the same as OP. Since moving up north I've pretty much lost all my social habits. It's quite depressing because I'd love to do something but without the company there's a feeling of loneliness about it. And I'm only 28.

Associate
its all made worse by dwelling on it, as they say if you do what you always do, you get what you always got. Give yourself some goals in life and some focus. for example join a gym, start a hobby and get some focus...travel is awesome even if its on your own, get out and about and don't hang around in the house for long periods as this just brings you down mentally...from the positive will come positive things..and yes I know it can be difficult and you can drag yourself down at times...but having little goals to work towards and a sense of what you want is good for the mind.

Caporegime
As someone who has joined a young professional meet up, it's ****! I've done a lot of them now as many of the ages range from the early 20's right up to the late 30's ( Most are mid 20's ), but damn they are extremely clicky and prefer the ummm metrosexual way of life.

It's great if you want to go to social events such as festivals, comedy nights and anything a student would go to, or getting drunk after a night out, but if you're in your mid to late 30's forget it.

Associate
OP I have been feeling how you been feeling for a very long time. I am finding that I am using the site less and less each week.

Do we delete it or not? I am confused

Soldato
Not sure where I'm going with any of this but does anyone experience an element of loneliness in London at a certain age?

I'm 30 and I changed job recently (been working quite hard in the first 6 months). I still live and work in London and most of my close friends have moved away and/or gone travelling.

I dabble in Facebook and I hate to say it, most of my contacts have become distant memories and I generally don't get anything from using the site. I've generally become quite picky when it comes to making friends now (which I think is simply down to maturity), but I'm sure that's natural?

Where in London? Come for a pint tonight and I'l give you someone else to add to the ignore list :D

Back
Top Bottom