Air Compressor

Soldato
So after sorting through a lot of bits n bobs and tiring myself out dusting old stuff out, I'm eyeing up an air compressor.

Narrowed it down to these two (unless someone knows of better):

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/sc24h-24-litre-high-flow-air-compressor-tool-kit

and

https://www.parkerbrand.co.uk/24-li...2-5-hp-1-5-kw-230v-115-psi-with-tool-kit.html

To me they both look identical, apart from the placement of the gauges and the sticker logo on the side and the fact that the accessories are different colours.

One is £103.19 and one is £89.99 both with free delivery and both with 2 year warranties.

Am I missing something or are they identical?

Thanks,

Andy

Soldato
Those are oil less so it's more a high pitched whiny noise, an oil belt driven air compressor will be a lot quieter.

The only thing you might struggle with is spraying the fences as that can use a lot if air so a bigger tank would be beneficial. Depends how hig the fence is and if you don't mind stopping for the tank to recharge.

If you want cheap and cheerful keep on eye on aldi (or is it lidl?). They often have basic ones on offer.

Soldato
OP
Those are oil less so it's more a high pitched whiny noise, an oil belt driven air compressor will be a lot quieter.

The only thing you might struggle with is spraying the fences as that can use a lot if air so a bigger tank would be beneficial. Depends how hig the fence is and if you don't mind stopping for the tank to recharge.

If you want cheap and cheerful keep on eye on aldi (or is it lidl?). They often have basic ones on offer.

Just spoke to them on the phone and it says that you need to change the oil after 10 hours for a full flush and then keep it topped up so that means it should be quieter?

Andy

The ones you link will be a generic Chinese made one branded by anyone that sells it. They are laud when the motor kicks in. We have a similar one in the showroom for the bikes/vans. When it kicks in you have to talk very loudly to be heard.

Last edited:

Pho

Pho

Soldato
For what it's worth I called into SGS Engineering a couple of months ago to pick-up some new gas boot struts for my car - they make them there and then, and £35 for two was better than the £200 EACH Renault wanted :eek:.

Anyway, the sales people were very nice and helpful and they seemed like a very nice company. They have a little showroom with lots of cool looking gadgets in :D

Soldato
OP
The ones you link will be a generic Chinese made one branded by anyone that sells it. They are load when the motor kicks in. We have a similar one in the showroom for the bikes/vans. When it kicks in you have to talk very loudly to be heard.

SGS manufacturer them in the UK. See the guy above me mention this too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/24L-Air-Com...TF8&qid=1459263641&sr=8-3&keywords=compressor

same one but slightly cheaper.

Will keep an eye on this thread as looking to get a compressor for home aswell

want one for sand blasting and painting small items upto the size of a bike frame and alloy wheels

Saw that but with the kit it works out the same (the air gun etc...)

For what it's worth I called into SGS Engineering a couple of months ago to pick-up some new gas boot struts for my car - they make them there and then, and £35 for two was better than the £200 EACH Renault wanted :eek:.

Anyway, the sales people were very nice and helpful and they seemed like a very nice company. They have a little showroom with lots of cool looking gadgets in :D

Thanks for that, I placed an order and you've given me confidence in making the right choice, will be here tomorrow :)

Associate
Looks good for the money! I'll be interested in a review too :)

I'm expecting Chinese though, 90% of them in that size/price bracket will be.

(If I remember tomorrow I'll find out which factory. ;)

Soldato
OP
Would the sort of size in the OP be alright for air impact wrenches and similar things?

They recommend 50l for impact wrenches.

Looks good for the money! I'll be interested in a review too :)

I'm expecting Chinese though, 90% of them in that size/price bracket will be.

(If I remember tomorrow I'll find out which factory. ;)

They are British made. Or at least told me that on the phone.

Soldato
I have the richmond one in the first post. I have 3 compressors now (cheap local buys). A tiny electric contraption for airbrushing, the richmond compressor in the OP, and a more expensive clarke 100L. I use the richmond more than either of the others tbh. For blowing out pc cases/dust blasting, airbrushing (using a more accurate regulator), for spraying degreaser/engine cleaner, tyre pumping etc. I've sprayed a car wing with it too. It's not as strong as the clarke compressor, but it's half the capacity and about 1/4 of the cost.. It's capable of spraying 2 pack paint if you're patient. Shouldn't have a problem spraying a fence.

The paint gun that comes with it is useless for anything other than laying on primer, but you'd expect that with a bundled bit. Otherwise no complaints.

Soldato
I have a 50L Clarke compressor (Hunter I think) for general car stuff and wish I had gone for a 100L (didn't have the space). I've found that the air hammer, impact socket wrench and air gun take a lot of air.

It's also damn loud. I'll give you a tip - make sure you turn it off when your finished. It automatically kicks in when the air it's stored gets low, which at 2am is not amusing!

Soldato
It's also damn loud. I'll give you a tip - make sure you turn it off when your finished. It automatically kicks in when the air it's stored gets low, which at 2am is not amusing!

You should really be emptying and draining the tank after use. It's unlikely but compressor tanks can blow, no need to put them under stress when not in use.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom