Falkland Islands lie in Argentinian waters, UN commission rules

Soldato
The residents voted 99.9% to remain British, so nothing is going to happen. They will probably dip the 0.1% guy in freezing cold water but that's about it.

Associate
Doesn't this mean, that in fact Argentina lies within the Falklands terratorial waters?

I do find it absurd that Argentina complains about our colonialism, while ignoring that they are as a country are an ex spanish colony that displaced the existing local population.

Soldato
As has already been said self determination is as close to absolute as you can get. Who holds what is a major issue of contention. The length of time is also a factor with regard to land claims imo.

For example the UN would not rule that that rather large island near both Japan and Russia should be returned to its rightful owner of Japan or even that the Canaries be returned to Morocco given their proximity? There are hundreds of islands or land areas with issues.

Either way Argentina once had a valid claim but now they do not. Their actions were wrong and the consequences have been worse for them.

Commissario
Is this one of those UN committees that is made up of those that want to be in it? (IE Argentina's buddies).

IIRC when the referendum was held there were a load of observers from the UN and Argentina's neighbours who all agreed it was held properly and legitimately, so Argentina can't even argue that the residents want Argentina to gain control of the islands.

The article might as well read "Argentina economy crashing once again".

I'm fairly sure that you'll find absolutely no Argentinian government sanctioned statistics that showed anything other than everything is fine and rosy.

Anyone (in Argentina) who argues differently deserves to be in Jail according to the Argentinian government .

Soldato
I think the thread title/article title and text is highly misleading. I don't think this decision means what people are assuming.

Look at this PDF/the graphics within it,

https://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/ibru/south_atlantic_maritime_claims.pdf

Basically when you have a bit of land, your exclusive economic zone (EEZ) extends 200nm around that (although say two countries are separated by 200nm, the bit between those two countries will be split 50/50), then if you have a continental shelf your exclusive economic zone can extend that far if it's further than 200nm). All that's happening is that Argentina have claimed they should have a larger EEZ, but that doesn't mean the Falklands are magically in Argentine waters/the Falklands magically don't have an EEZ... I'd guess it means the Falklands' EEZ could well be smaller than we thought (ooer!) but it wouldn't be a grand conspiracy, it'd just be based on geology :p.

So where would that leave South Georgia and South Sandwich (mmm) Islands?

Soldato
I'm fairly sure that you'll find absolutely no Argentinian government sanctioned statistics that showed anything other than everything is fine and rosy.

Anyone (in Argentina) who argues differently deserves to be in Jail according to the Argentinian government .

Under the new regime that is changing rapidly, a lot of harm was done to the civil service (in general but to national statistics especially) under de Kirchner and so it will take time to complete but it is already well underway

Back
Top Bottom