Raspberry Pi 3 as a media player.

Associate
Hi Folks,

I'm looking at getting a new pi3 and using it as a media player. I'd like to set it up with a usb hdd and chuck it behind the tv and control it with my iphone.

Is this possible? How would I do it?

Cheers

:cool:

Associate
Been using my Pi2 as an HTPC since it came out. Streams everthing fine whether from my server or from the internet. I use OSMC and its been great.

Pi3 runs a bit hotter I hear, shouldn't be an issue for a HTPC though.

Associate
Pi3 or even 2 is overkill for the job, a B+ is enough, maybe even a zero.
I use a B+ running MOODE through the network to a NAS, B+ has a DAC fitted with RCA ports so cabled up to a T amp...........
Easy access to 1GB plus of tracks and control by phone, tablet, laptop etc.
Could stream it as well but happy with hardwire for now.
I have watch HD video running well on my zero so see no issues setting up a media player with this either.
The audio set up is just here as an example, not a recommend.

Soldato
I thought about that, getting it, put android on it & have a mini pc for my TV... Download any app.. but no Playstation Vue for android :( kind of makes me mad.. They have it for Fire TV (smaller app. store!!!), anyway Dish Network is a bunch of greedy jerks, $79 for amarica's top 120 & DVR. it is the lowest package also!!!

Last edited:
Soldato
Just moved from Openelec to OSMC on the pi2, very happy so far. Have had Openelec running on the pi1B -> pi2, but needed the expandability of OSMC.

On a whole I'd say OSMC is a more substantial release (given its Debian back-end), but Openelec is a good start.

I use Yatse on Android to control all my Kodi based installations.

Soldato
I use my Pi2 as a Plex media server and connect to it from Plex apps on PS4/Roku/Android/iPad.

Works well for the most part although it's somewhat underpowered for the job so transcoding doesn't work. Direct streaming of videos and serving of music etc works great though.

Don
I thought about that, getting it, put android on it & have a mini pc for my TV... Download any app.. but no Playstation Vue for android :( kind of makes me mad.. They have it for Fire TV (smaller app. store!!!), anyway Dish Network is a bunch of greedy jerks, $79 for amarica's top 120 & DVR. it is the lowest package also!!!

There is no Android for Pi.

edit, well there is, but it's a bit of a bodge

Soldato
OSMC is very good but I'm actually looking to move away from the Raspberry pi for this and move to over to the Amazon Fire TV.

Having used Kodi on a Fire TV over the weekend it is far far quicker and just seems to do the job better, particularly considering everything else it does out of the box. It does require side loading but is easy enough it seems.

You're limited to FAT32 on external drives after latest firmware but you could easily run USB drive attached to router or NAS, as network storage.

I've had a Pi since release and have had a 2 and just recently a 3 – I wouldn’t be without one (particularly for RetroPi) but given the additional features of the Fire TV it is absolutely worth considering for this purpose.

To answer your original question - yes the Pi3 will do the job very well and I can highly recommend the app 'Yatse'. I've never had any issue with streaming from network (full raw bluray rips etc).

Last edited:
Associate
Just ordered a Pi3 for a plex client. i use an android box for KODI and the pi for plex. Was going to get a NUC but it be a waste for what id want it for

Soldato
I have the original Pi with OpenElec still, streams everything perfectly from my server, so a Pi 3 is only going to be better.

Judging by some screenshots, OSMC is just a branch of OpenElec/Kodi or whatever the main project is/was called?

Soldato
Still using a Pi B+ with openelec and default skin. Had considered a Pi 2, but other than a little menu slowdown, it's great. That doesn't really bother me too much as I generally navigate using the library synced to the Yatse app, which is fantastic. Haven't tried the new official remote app for Kodi yet. Might do just to see how it compares to Yatse. The last official remote for XBMC, I thought was a bit rubbish.

Soldato
Still using a Pi B+ with openelec and default skin. Had considered a Pi 2, but other than a little menu slowdown, it's great. That doesn't really bother me too much as I generally navigate using the library synced to the Yatse app, which is fantastic. Haven't tried the new official remote app for Kodi yet. Might do just to see how it compares to Yatse. The last official remote for XBMC, I thought was a bit rubbish.

I've overclocked my B+ and the menus are SO much better. Give it a go, there are tutorials about :)

Associate
I use an original Pi which is overclocked to 1GHz and put copper heatsinks on all the hot areas. Helps to have an infrared thermometer if going this route - especially if fitting into a small, sleek case.

Back
Top Bottom