Network and CPL

Associate
Hello everybody,

So here is the situation that I'm confronted with....

On the ground floor I have:

ADSL cable goes to router
Ethernet cable from router to CPL.

2nd floor:

Ethernet cable from CPL to my PC.
------------------------------------------------------

I work as a 3d artist and I need to connect multiple PCs between each other on the 2nd floor and transfer data between them. The thing is somebody told me that if i use a switch, the data will do this:

PC1 to switch > through CPL 2nd floor > CPL ground floor > router > CPL ground floor > CPL 2nd floor > switch > PC2

What I want is that on the 2nd floor the PCs can communicate directly with each other without going to the CPL and the router down stairs.

So what does an amateur network guy like me do? Do i have to put another router on the second floor meaning:

router ground floor > CPL fround floor > CPL 2nd floor > router 2 > to PC1...PC2...PC3...etc

Hope this is clear....I hope somebody can inlighten me

Cheers

Don
If you're transferring data between them. Ditch the powerlines and run cat5e cable to each workstation. connect them all to a gigabit switch.

If you don't do this, your transfer speeds will be a joke.

edit.
If you get a switch and connect all the pc's up to this, with one powerline connector going into it, then they will have good speed between everything on the switch.

edit2
You only want one router. Never use two. A gigabit switch is what you need to add. How many machines so you want connected?
If it's more than 4 devices, get an 8 port gigabit switch as a minimum.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok so it was completely incorrect when he said that the PC couldnt transfer between each other without a router.

Regards

EDIT: Yes but dont forget that the switch will be on second floor with all the PCs (4 for now) and that the router is on the ground floor connect via CPL with second

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok so it was completely incorrect when he said that the PC couldnt transfer between each other without a router.

Regards

EDIT: Yes but dont forget that the switch will be on second floor with all the PCs (4 for now) and that the router is on the ground floor connect via CPL with second

Pretty much yep.

Networking equipment will try to make the shortest connections possible. If you get a switch and plug all the second floor PCs into it and do a transfer between them, the switch will just move packets directly from one PC to the other.

You then have one cable from the switch to the powerline so the machines can get a route to the internet. Only internet traffic will go that way.

I think CPL = French version of PLC (power-line communication). They like adjectives at the end. ;)

Associate
OP
Pretty much yep.

Networking equipment will try to make the shortest connections possible. If you get a switch and plug all the second floor PCs into it and do a transfer between them, the switch will just move packets directly from one PC to the other.

You then have one cable from the switch to the powerline so the machines can get a route to the internet. Only internet traffic will go that way.

I think CPL = French version of PLC (power-line communication). They like adjectives at the end. ;)

Yes I'm french :)

Ok great, then I'll buy a gigabyte switch. Thank you for the quick replies....I've always enjoyed speaking on OC forums

Regards

Soldato
If one or both of them has a 100 Mbit ethernet interface (also known as Fast Ethernet or usually 100BASE-TX) then you'll get about 80-100 Mbps (10-12 MBps) transfer.

If they both have gigabit ethernet interfaces (usually 1000BASE-T) then you'll usually get about 900 Mbps (120 MBps) throughput. If one of the drives on either end is slower than that then that will be your bottleneck.

If you're using Windows look for the network adapter in device manager, it should say something like gigabit (GbE) or fast-ethernet.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If one or both of them has a 100 Mbit ethernet interface (also known as Fast Ethernet or usually 100BASE-TX) then you'll get about 80-100 Mbps (10-12 MBps) transfer.

If they both have gigabit ethernet interfaces (usually 1000BASE-T) then you'll usually get about 900 Mbps (120 MBps) throughput. If one of the drives on either end is slower than that then that will be your bottleneck.

If you're using Windows look for the network adapter in device manager, it should say something like gigabit (GbE) or fast-ethernet.

Yes it says Gigabyte for both.

Transferring at 80MBps

I guess I won't be getting any higher then this as they are directly connected. So this will be the reference once I receive the Switch. Should roughly be the same i suppose

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom