Dashcams!

Associate
As to placing it lower, be careful with that. Mine is on the passenger side, almost centre between the mirror and A-pillar as high as it can go. If I drop it too much (4cm into pink area), I am in danger of being convicted of Dangerous Driving.

It's fairly normal these days to drive around with satnav suction mounted to the windscreen in the middle of the pink area and you don't see anyone getting done for dangerous driving for that. Good to try and stay within the law but as long as it isn't in the red area or obviously blocking your view I doubt police would care tbh.

Soldato
Supersports.

Hurfdurf it's a Mini 0806 with the high bitrate firmware. And no, not really worried as it's mounted out of immediate eyeshot :p

Is the Mini series basically manufactured by anyone and everyone? As Amazon have multiple listings for different manufactures. And looking at the reviews on dashcamtalk they all have different manufacturer for each model, e.g.
https://dashcamtalk.com/mini-0806/

I was set on the Mini 0805, but I think I'd prefer a single manufacturer source.

Soldato
I bought an EPrance-branded 0805 from Amazon last June and it's been working fine since then. The only thing I've had to do is remove the little plastic plate from the base of the camera where it hooks into the GPS/charging base, and put a little bit of cardboard under the terminals so that they connect better with the base and it charges properly.

Transmission breaker
Don
Reinstalled my blackvue in my new BM.
blackvuebmw5.jpg

Ran cabling from the overhead light compartment. Was struggling to find an ignition live, everything was always live and never seemed to go off?!

Bit of googling eventually tells me that there is a 17 minute wait for "comfort mode" before the lives die...

Phew, tested it out and it seems to work fine :)

This was as short as I could get it and keep it neat.
blackvuebmw6.jpg

Might try and run the cable more direct later but was just running out of time to make it any neater.

It's not as neat as my old XF install, but it will do before my long drive tomorrow.

Old install:
blackvue5.jpg

blackvue4.jpg

I always try and get the cam as hidden from driver view as much as possible, and routing cables from down below/hanging screens just drives me nuts. It makes the interior look ugly and messy!

Last edited:
Caporegime
[TW]Fox;29352734 said:
Is that what Dashcamming is about? Going through the hassle of uploading videos of people not indicating to YouTube? :p

It's whatever you want it to be, much like GPS tracking for running or cycling on your bike. Pointless to some, interesting to others.

Transmission breaker
Don
[TW]Fox;29352734 said:
Is that what Dashcamming is about? Going through the hassle of uploading videos of people not indicating to YouTube? :p

Too many people upload the most mundane, every day stuff it's crazy!

The only footage I have ever uploaded has been to do with a either a claim from the council or insurance.

A cam is there for protection only in my view. Perhaps it might actually catch something genuinely unusual one day and only then will I go to the hassle of uploading a video for it :D

Soldato
[TW]Fox;29352734 said:

You almost make it sound like a hobby :) Fortunately it isn't a hobby to me. I rarely bother copying stuff off mine to be fair, but I needed to grab something else off the SD card earlier and ripped that one off while I was at it. Total time taken, about 2 minutes, if that.

Not that it needs to be justified to anyone, of course.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;29352734 said:

These people even get together and meet.

At least I understand what outsiders must think of OcUK meets.

Associate
You could look at the Möbius cameras, small enough for a bike cam for sure.

Oh and just to annoy Fox:
Youtube = F6deKCPHZV8

That's a tiny camera :D Good reviews though.

The SJ4000 HD Action Camera get's a lot of praise but it's an old one from what I can tell, Is it still worth purchase or is there anything that would blow it away in the same price range?

Or am I expecting too much :p

Back
Top Bottom