*** Sky Q Thread ***

Associate
I couldnt see an option to replace what we have which is 3 had boxes all in separate use with multi room on 2 of them. One of the multirooms has bt sport which of course doesn't get mirrored and only works on that box. So how does this work on sky q - does it only work on the master sky q box and not the minis. But tbh it seems for me I would need 2 sky q boxes and 1 mini - is this even possible and no doubt the cost would be scary as they are used by separate people so sky q doesn't have enough recording ability to cope.

Caporegime
I dont want sky Q silver..I thought they were going to release 2 versions

bog standard sky Q which is just a replacement for the sky+hd box and sky Q silver which came with the additional mini box?

surely thats why its called sky Q silver as its better than the base package..otherwise why not just call it sky Q?? why add silver to it if its not giving you more??!!

as an exisitng sky customer it seems i cant just get sqy Q, the website only gives me the option for sky q silver!? if I dont log into the website or tell it I am not an exisitng custome I can get the 44 pound base package, but as an existing customer it wont let me choose anything but silver

You can get 'SkyQ' with one Mini box but you won't get UHD on anything but the Silver box.

Soldato
Folks, not sure if this has been asked but would appreciate any insights into this.

Currently got Sky HD + 2 Multiscreens.

Contemplating moving to Q.... however....

1. For Sky Q to work in the home and to be able to watch it on multiple Sky Q mini players around the house, must these be connected the home network wirelessly? (Since my understanding is that the Satellite cables coming from the LNB only go to the main Sky Q Silver box?

2. Must the broadband connection be taken out with Sky? Or can I use my VM connection?

3. The hot spot facility in the house to propagate a signal all around the house, must this be with Sky Broadband connection?

4. Are you able to watch on all 3 boxes at the same time? SInce I heard that it maybe only possible to watch on 2 boxes.

5. Still cant get my head around recording a program on one box but able to watch it on another box in the house, is my understanding correct that you can view recorded content on one box from another box?

Soldato
I couldnt see an option to replace what we have which is 3 had boxes all in separate use with multi room on 2 of them. One of the multirooms has bt sport which of course doesn't get mirrored and only works on that box. So how does this work on sky q - does it only work on the master sky q box and not the minis. But tbh it seems for me I would need 2 sky q boxes and 1 mini - is this even possible and no doubt the cost would be scary as they are used by separate people so sky q doesn't have enough recording ability to cope.

•How many Sky Q boxes can I have? •Customers can have a maximum of one Sky Q or Sky Q Silver Box per Sky account.

•How many Sky Q mini’s can I have? •Customers can have a maximum of four Sky Q Mini boxes. The Sky Q Silver box will support viewing on up to 5 screens at a time: Main screen, two Sky Q Mini boxes and two tablets using the Sky Q App.

•How can I continue watching 3rd party subscriptions?
•Subscriptions to 3rd Party channels will automatically work as normal on the main Sky Q box. Even if you are sent a replacement card as part of your Sky Q setup, subscriptions to 3rd Party channels from your main viewing location will automatically transfer over to the new card. More info on third party channels is available here.

•I want to watch programs on more than one TV, which package is best for me?
• •Both Sky Q Bundles includes viewing on your main Sky Q/Sky Q Silver box as well as at least one tablet via the Sky Q App. If you wish to include Sky Q Mini boxes, the best option is a Sky Q Silver box with the Sky Q Silver Bundle.

All the above info can be found here:

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Sky-Q-FAQ/td-p/2425557

Caporegime
Folks, not sure if this has been asked but would appreciate any insights into this.

Currently got Sky HD + 2 Multiscreens.

Contemplating moving to Q.... however....

1. For Sky Q to work in the home and to be able to watch it on multiple Sky Q mini players around the house, must these be connected the home network wirelessly? (Since my understanding is that the Satellite cables coming from the LNB only go to the main Sky Q Silver box? Correct, although Powerline functionality is coming soon

2. Must the broadband connection be taken out with Sky? Or can I use my VM connection? You are free to continue with Virgin

3. The hot spot facility in the house to propagate a signal all around the house, must this be with Sky Broadband connection? Correct, the Wi-Fi Hotspot functionality only works with the SkyQ Hub, not with any other provider

4. Are you able to watch on all 3 boxes at the same time? SInce I heard that it maybe only possible to watch on 2 boxes. With SkyQ you can watch on the main box and one other Sky Q mini box as well as on a tablet. In order to watch on three TV's simultaneously you need to take the SkyQ Silver bundle and order another Mini box.

5. Still cant get my head around recording a program on one box but able to watch it on another box in the house, is my understanding correct that you can view recorded content on one box from another box? All recordings are stored on the SkyQ/SkyQ Silver box as this is the only one which is connected to the dish. You can view all recordings, even simultaneously on all three boxes if you so desire. The Mini boxes contain no Hard Disk at all, they stream it all from the main box.

Answered.

Man of Honour
Ours is coming on the 18th. Still no new card but Sky said they only send them out five days before installation.

I've been told to expect it in around a week.

Actually worked out cheaper for me to go with SkyQ Silver than upgrade to a 2tb SkyHD box. Especially with the extra £99 off email they sent me. Plus now we've got multiroom back with the Q Mini box.

Permabanned
So you can only watch TV concurrently on 3 screens with the Silver and Mini boxes? thats disappointing, I need to be able to watch on 4 screens concurrently and I was really interested in this :(

Soldato
So you can only watch TV concurrently on 3 screens with the Silver and Mini boxes? thats disappointing, I need to be able to watch on 4 screens concurrently and I was really interested in this :(

...and none of those have aerials to at least offer Freeview as an alternative?

Caporegime

Three TV screens but you can watch on Sky Go or the SkyQ app on a tablet?

Caporegime
So what's the quality like on the Mini box, over WiFi?

If I move to the house I'm buying I've got a bit of an issue getting cables to where I want to put the TV in the lounge. Getting cables to the bedroom would be easy though. So I was wondering if I could put the Q in the bedroom and have a Mini in the lounge. But I'd only be interested if the Mini was flawless and as good as using a main box.

Last edited:
Caporegime
So what's the quality like on the Mini box, over WiFi?

If I move to the house I'm buying I've got a bit of an issue getting cables to where I want to put the TV in the lounge. Getting cables to the bedroom would be easy though. So I was wondering if I could put the Q in the bedroom and have a Mini in the lounge. But I'd only be interested if the Mini was flawless and as good as using a main box.

No discernible difference to what I watched on my previous +HD box.

UtHW5Hr.jpg

Back
Top Bottom