Trip to Italy, any advice?

Soldato
It's the other halfs 21st this year and im thinking of holidays. I've always wanted to go to Italy and although she's been before it was just for an architects trip for a few days she really loves the idea of going back.

I'm pretty sure the hire car age is only 18 in Italy need to find some decent companies to look up prices etc but if not public transport is do able. Thinking of heading there in the first week of September, I know most cities in Italy are just long weekends/couple of night trips so I want to go for 10-14 days and do a few of them heading down the country.

Where would you guys recommend? Obviously with Italy being such a beautiful country there is so many possibilities for going around it. Who's been where and why would you recommend most?

So far I'm liking the sound of Venice to Florence to Rome maybe down Naples or squeezing elsewhere in in between. Also have no idea on the cost of eating out there etc but We are both massive lovers of Italian food so it'll most likely be eating in quiet little local restaurants and maybe one or two fine dinings whilst there.

So long story short is who's been, where do you go, what did you do and has anyone travelled Italy for a holiday?

Soldato
OP
Guard your pockets. Many a pickpocket about in Italy.

Really that surprised me. I'm hoping it's not too affected by the whole immigration crisis going on across Europe at the moment. Need to do some proper research but only made a list of possible destinations tonight and trip around Italy is top for us.

Soldato
Really that surprised me. I'm hoping it's not too affected by the whole immigration crisis going on across Europe at the moment. Need to do some proper research but only made a list of possible destinations tonight and trip around Italy is top for us.

Nah, it's more to do with large cities. You get the same pickpocketing issue in Paris, Barcelona, Madrid, London etc. Just have to take sensible precautions.

Soldato
OP
Nah, it's more to do with large cities. You get the same pickpocketing issue in Paris, Barcelona, Madrid, London etc. Just have to take sensible precautions.

Yeah I wouldn't have thought it would be different to any large city tbh. I'm not wanna to walk around waving my phone or wallet anyway and I have a habit of pretty much always having a thumb in each pocket when walking around town.

Soldato
Yeah I wouldn't have thought it would be different to any large city tbh. I'm not wanna to walk around waving my phone or wallet anyway and I have a habit of pretty much always having a thumb in each pocket when walking around town.

Yep, the art of the defensive tourist crab walk is an ancient one!

Try to fit in some islands too. Depending on your exact itinerary, Ischia might be doable, and it has both a historical part and a more modern bit. Decent food + thermal springs, if that's your thing. Can take a ferry from Naples, I believe.

Associate
In Rome in October there was an immigrant on every street corner shoving selfie sticks into my face. Buy one asap so you can just wave it at them instead of saying no 5000 times a day.

As for the actual city itself we walked almost everywhere. We discovered stuff on the way to/from the attraction we were walking to every single day. When we were tired however, the underground system is only 1.5e to use so it's very cheap/convenient. Amazing city! When you're in the vatican you can pay to go to the top. It's a massive climb (500 steps iirc) but you can see a stunning view from the top which makes it worthwhile :)

Soldato
+1 for Siena. It's basically Florence but without so many tourists.

I think your route is pretty good. Just be aware that Italian drivers are crazy and Roman drivers are particularly crazy. I hope that you're a confident driver.

Soldato
We're off to Garda in May, Only hire a car from one of the big companies (AVIS etc), i wish i had heeded this advice before i purchased car hire through SicilyByCar, apparently they will take money from your card months after hiring a car from them with no explanation and they will find the tiniest window chip and charge you for it. I've taken the fully comp insurance option though and i've taken precautions to make sure i'm not shafted when i go there, i'll also be taking a full 4k video of the inside and outside of the car when i pick it up just to be safe.

Soldato
If you go to Rome then I suggest heading to Santopadre for dinner. Very traditional Roman cuisine but with no set menu, the staff will ask what sort of thing you're wanting and make suggestions. Excellent good and well priced.

It's about a 15-20 minute walk from Termini train station.

Soldato
OP
In Rome in October there was an immigrant on every street corner shoving selfie sticks into my face. Buy one asap so you can just wave it at them instead of saying no 5000 times a day.

As for the actual city itself we walked almost everywhere. We discovered stuff on the way to/from the attraction we were walking to every single day. When we were tired however, the underground system is only 1.5e to use so it's very cheap/convenient. Amazing city! When you're in the vatican you can pay to go to the top. It's a massive climb (500 steps iirc) but you can see a stunning view from the top which makes it worthwhile :)

I'll keep that in mind then. Not that I'd want a selfie stick but worth it to have to avoid interaction. I wouldn't have thought they would have come that far down Italy but obviously I was wrong.

+1 for Siena. It's basically Florence but without so many tourists.

I think your route is pretty good. Just be aware that Italian drivers are crazy and Roman drivers are particularly crazy. I hope that you're a confident driver.

I think every other country in Europe is full of crazy drivers except England, here they are all just idiots. Sienna will be added then. Might go there instead of Florence.

I've never driven in another country but I am a pretty confident driver, any idea how long it'll take between locations? Or any recommendations for a hire car?

Soldato
OP
[FnG]magnolia;29350613 said:
But don't go to Naples itself, it's dreadful.

Sorrento is less dreadful and is actually quite charming once you get over the fact that it's filled with UK tourists, just like you.

Yeah doing some looking around this morning I've seen a lot of people say Naples isn't great. Quite like the sound of Pompeii tbh.

The whole uk tourist thing doesn't bother me as long as they are either the chavvy kind or loud lad groups.

Caporegime
Pompeii is a great visit and there are loads of places there set up to take you around. I probably wouldn't stay there though as there are better, closer places to stay in Rome.

I liked Sorrento a lot but it is kind of Blackpool Italy. This may or may not work for you.

Man of Honour
'The hire car age' is a company by company thing not a country by country thing.

Some firms will rent to under 21's but you will need to pay an often considerable underage driver fee on top.

Soldato
[FnG]magnolia;29350652 said:
I liked Sorrento a lot but it is kind of Blackpool Italy. This may or may not work for you.

Blackpool Italy? Blackpool is a tacky northern **** hole, Sorrento is beautiful with lemon tree lined avenues. There maybe lots of Brits there, but it's hardly the sort that go to southern Spain. :confused:

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;29350659 said:
'The hire car age' is a company by company thing not a country by country thing.

Some firms will rent to under 21's but you will need to pay an often considerable underage driver fee on top.

Hire cars are the first thing I looked at, although they aren't cheap they aren't too bad o guess for the time and amount of travelling I'm looking at. I can make it cheaper by her being the driver but she won't want to drive around a foreign country. Looks like it'll be a golf or fiat 500.

Caporegime
Blackpool Italy? Blackpool is a tacky northern **** hole, Sorrento is beautiful with lemon tree lined avenues. There maybe lots of Brits there, but it's hardly the sort that go to southern Spain. :confused:

I don't disagree that Sorrento is a beautiful place to visit but it's geared up to deal with tourists for whatever that matters.

Soldato
[FnG]magnolia;29350613 said:
But don't go to Naples itself, it's dreadful.

Disagree, I loved Naples, the food is the best in the world and the locals gave me no problems at all, in fact were very friendly, treated me like a bro :cool:

Back
Top Bottom