Panama Papers

Soldato
Iceland PM resigned. If he did nothing wrong, why bolt of the doors so quickly (however his case differs from the rest as it sounds like conflict of interest was at play)?

It might have something to do with the 'per capita' largest ever demonstration being held against him yesterday.

Soldato
That is illegal...

Yeah I'm not sure of anywhere that's 10 actually, 13 I know is spain I think. Unless it's changed.

Either way at 13 it's dodgy if you are some 40 year old dude.

I was just using it as an example of how you could sit and say it's legal, but lets face it you are still sketchy...

Soldato
Yeah I'm not sure of anywhere that's 10 actually, 13 I know is spain I think. Unless it's changed.

Either way at 13 it's dodgy if you are some 40 year old dude.

I was just using it as an example of how you could sit and say it's legal, but lets face it you are still sketchy...

UK law is worldwide to prevent UK citizens going abroad to get their jolly off with a minor. It doesn't matter if it's legal in the country you're in at the time.

Same goes for bribery.

Soldato
i am amazed by some fellas who defend the right to evade laws and tax systems because simply some people can afford to. Why the defending?

Its mind boggling, while we are ripped apart from taxation in order to sustain our societies some others can literally walk away and laugh at us just like Cameron who replied its a private matter!

i mean, wtf? private matter? i guess i can write down this the next time i am asked to fill my tax return...

Also, this is not capitalism...

Soldato
i am amazed by some fellas who defend the right to evade laws and tax systems because simply some people can afford to. Why the defending?

Its mind boggling, while we are ripped apart from taxation in order to sustain our societies some others can literally walk away and laugh at us just like Cameron who replied its a private matter!

i mean, wtf? private matter? i guess i can write down this the next time i am asked to fill my tax return...

Also, this is not capitalism...

10426763_876752359101770_5974381759851843767_n.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
lol

If Corbyn mucks this up there really is no hope. Attacking Tories in the wake of a tax dodging scandal is like shooting fish in a barrel...

Yeah, sigh, the Tory backbench has done more opposition as of late, due to the the referendum split and related shenans. Which is farcical in a parliamentary democracy, which does need an official opposition!

Given the easy, open-goal situations Jezza's been getting, it should be:
"I'll take your clothZes, yer bOOts and yer Boris Bike!"

And not:
"I'll be back."

Associate

Because by avoiding tax you are not evading the law. How many times does this need to be said?

How about some actual case law?

James Avon Clyde, Lord Clyde KC DL presiding in Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services v Inland Revenue [1929] 14 Tax Case 754
No man in the country is under the smallest obligation, moral or other, so to arrange his legal relations to his business or property as to enable the Inland Revenue to put the largest possible shovel in his stores. The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue

Thomas James Chesshyre Tomlin, Baron Tomlin PC presiding in IRC v. Duke of Westminster (1936)
Every man is entitled if he can to arrange his affairs so that the tax attaching under the appropriate Acts is less than it otherwise would be. If he succeeds in ordering them so as to secure that result, then, however unappreciative the Commissioners of Inland Revenue or his fellow taxpayers may be of his ingenuity, he cannot be compelled to pay an increased tax

The law has to apply equally and fairly regardless of status, wealth, pauper or fat cat banker, otherwise there is nothing to stop the State dipping its fingers into anyone's wallet any time it likes.

Caporegime
Because by avoiding tax you are not evading the law. How many times does this need to be said?

And in return how many times does it need to be said "We know it's legal, it's still not right." ?

This analogy says it best (yoinked from someone on reddit):

I open a shop. I sell pasties. I decide to run a campaign in the local free paper that says "Bring this coupon to Jestar's Pasties and get a free pasty!"
Most people bring their coupon and get a free pasty.
However some schmuck decided to run around and pick up as many copies of the paper as they can. He walks into my pasty shop with over one thousand coupons.
Now, the letter of the law (aka, the coupon/advert) says he is entitled to a free pasty for every coupon he provides.
Does it make him any less of a codpiece? No. That's obviously not in the spirit of the advert.

Associate
Absolutely nothing illegal has taken place. It is up to Governments to legislate - in so far as they may. One could contend that there is a moral issue in not providing tax to the same painful extent as the working masses who have less possibility to "Save". Many people prefer to control their own outgoings rather than leave it to an incompetent bureaucrats/politicians to blatantly waste - UK's overseas aid is a wonderful example of waste. It was Leona Helmsley who put it so succinctly "Taxes are for the little people" -proportionately!

Permabanned
OP
Absolutely nothing illegal has taken place. It is up to Governments to legislate - in so far as they may. One could contend that there is a moral issue in not providing tax to the same painful extent as the working masses who have less possibility to "Save". Many people prefer to control their own outgoings rather than leave it to an incompetent bureaucrats/politicians to blatantly waste - UK's overseas aid is a wonderful example of waste. It was Leona Helmsley who put it so succinctly "Taxes are for the little people" -proportionately!

Yet experts disagree with you.

Associate
And in return how many times does it need to be said "We know it's legal, it's still not right." ?

This analogy says it best (yoinked from someone on reddit):

I open a shop. I sell pasties. I decide to run a campaign in the local free paper that says "Bring this coupon to Jestar's Pasties and get a free pasty!"
Most people bring their coupon and get a free pasty.
However some schmuck decided to run around and pick up as many copies of the paper as they can. He walks into my pasty shop with over one thousand coupons.
Now, the letter of the law (aka, the coupon/advert) says he is entitled to a free pasty for every coupon he provides.
Does it make him any less of a codpiece? No. That's obviously not in the spirit of the advert.

Which is why you word the coupon so that fat boy can't do that! Clearly the person who posted that on reddit doesn't really understand contract law. If you were to refuse the reward then the greedy one would well within his rights to sue, and you would likly lose, see Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball Company [1892]

Back
Top Bottom