Dell S2716DG - Dells first G-sync

Soldato
Can someone with this monitor please give me your thoughts on it? Especially in regards to picture quality.. Will be used as a gaming monitor primarily

Thanks.

I think for a TN it's good. But having owned several IPS displays i do miss the quality of those but it's certainly among the top TNs i've seen as long as you calibrate it a little cause out the box it is very washed out and dull. Luckily it does not take much to correct that.

Soldato
I think for a TN it's good. But having owned several IPS displays i do miss the quality of those but it's certainly among the top TNs i've seen as long as you calibrate it a little cause out the box it is very washed out and dull. Luckily it does not take much to correct that.

Amy guides on how to calibrate this model? I've used the profile on my previous post but the colours are still washed

Associate

Thanks man. That's the contemplation I'm having, this Dell model or the u2515H due to it being IPS. I'm not sure about response times etc compared to what I'm used to.

I'm currently using an old Samsung p2270 TN which boasts a 2ms response time on the bezel, but I'm presuming this is grey to grey time and not the input lag that I should be looking at? Unfortunately because it's that old all reviews seem to have disappeared for it now to find out if the u2515h would be worse than what I'm used to.

Also I'm only using a Gtx 780 so thought the g-sync function of the s2716dg would help when making the jump to 1440p in keeping smooth frames? Or am I missing the point of g-sync??

In a pickle!

Soldato
Thanks man. That's the contemplation I'm having, this Dell model or the u2515H due to it being IPS. I'm not sure about response times etc compared to what I'm used to.

I'm currently using an old Samsung p2270 TN which boasts a 2ms response time on the bezel, but I'm presuming this is grey to grey time and not the input lag that I should be looking at? Unfortunately because it's that old all reviews seem to have disappeared for it now to find out if the u2515h would be worse than what I'm used to.

Also I'm only using a Gtx 780 so thought the g-sync function of the s2716dg would help when making the jump to 1440p in keeping smooth frames? Or am I missing the point of g-sync??

In a pickle!

Now many will argue with me about this but my opinion is that low fps gsync gaming is horrible just as it is horrible without gsync but for different reasons. Dont expect 30fps gsync to feel like 60fps vsync'd. It's much worse. Low fps cannot feel like more and even though gsync is supposed to use frame doubling below 30-32 market it has no positive effect what so ever.

Also it makes me feel that people complaining about freesync monitors usually having a lower cap of 40-45 completely misses the point since you dont want to be gaming any lower than that anyway but that's a rant for another day :)

If it were me with a 780, and i have owned one, i would most likely stick with 1080p unless im was willing to sacrifice eye candy and considering the 780 i had was an overclocking monster it had some issues powering 2560x1440 in certain titles like the witcher, even 2560x1080 gave it grief but that is ofcourse in select few titles, if you can overlook that you should be fine and variable refresh rate technologi will certainly give you a better experience.

Associate
Now many will argue with me about this but my opinion is that low fps gsync gaming is horrible just as it is horrible without gsync but for different reasons. Dont expect 30fps gsync to feel like 60fps vsync'd. It's much worse. Low fps cannot feel like more and even though gsync is supposed to use frame doubling below 30-32 market it has no positive effect what so ever.

Also it makes me feel that people complaining about freesync monitors usually having a lower cap of 40-45 completely misses the point since you dont want to be gaming any lower than that anyway but that's a rant for another day :)

If it were me with a 780, and i have owned one, i would most likely stick with 1080p unless im was willing to sacrifice eye candy and considering the 780 i had was an overclocking monster it had some issues powering 2560x1440 in certain titles like the witcher, even 2560x1080 gave it grief but that is ofcourse in select few titles, if you can overlook that you should be fine and variable refresh rate technologi will certainly give you a better experience.

Thanks man, I should have noted that I will be upgrading the 780. Just waiting for Pascal to grab one of those or pickup a nicely priced second hand 980ti.

So I take it you're still firmly in the S2716DG over the U2515H camp then? If it was IPS it would be perfect.

Soldato
Thanks man, I should have noted that I will be upgrading the 780. Just waiting for Pascal to grab one of those or pickup a nicely priced second hand 980ti.

So I take it you're still firmly in the S2716DG over the U2515H camp then? If it was IPS it would be perfect.

Well i can only speak for the Dell S2716DG as i have no experience with the other. I will however say im ready to ditch this Dell i have for an IPS/VA 75hz-100hz ultrawide the second i get the chance and the money.. so that will be in 4 years time with the current outrageous pricing. But for the time being it does a good enough job and colours are not horrible in anyway like my old Sammy TN D950 120hz was (overly blueish and harsh on the eyes)

Permabanned
Just installed this profile but I don't see a difference? This is what I have in my profiles list:

2RzqoPH.png

I've also adjusted the settings in the monitors OSD to the same as those in the settings text file.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29158814&postcount=917

If you have followed TFT centrals guide on how to install and it still doesn't make a difference then you've not done something right or haven't noticed the change. Restart your PC and you should notice Windows adjusting to the calibrated profile after a few seconds.

If the profile still looks washed then maybe try PCM2's or TFT Central's profiles. It would be good if a moderator could include all these in the OP as I appreciate that updated profiles from members are scattered throughout the thread thus making things hard to find.

Permabanned
I see Windows adjust it on boot up but the colours are still washed. I'll try another profile.

There are mine posted in the link above.

TFT Central
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm

PC Monitor.info
https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/dell-s2716dg/

Yellows on Overclock.net
http://www.overclock.net/t/1577511/...r-the-dell-s2716dg-monitor/1570#post_24781436

(Hover over the tooltip to see his settings)

If neither of the above look good to you then you need to invest in a colorimeter which will give you the best results for your panel.

Soldato
I'm not sure if this is a fault or not, but my monitor has developed a bit of a problem.

When I turn on the monitor I get a solid screen of red, then green followed by blue then it seems to work normally. Also if i leave my PC on desktop for a while (seems like about 15 mins) the same thing happens, the screen flashes red, green, blue continuously until I move the mouse at which point it stops and the desktop comes back up and everything is back to normal

I have done a complete reinstall of the latest drivers and done a factory reset on the monitor via the OSD, but neither has resolved the issue. Has anyone got any ideas on how to solve it?

Soldato
I'm not sure if this is a fault or not, but my monitor has developed a bit of a problem.

When I turn on the monitor I get a solid screen of red, then green followed by blue then it seems to work normally. Also if i leave my PC on desktop for a while (seems like about 15 mins) the same thing happens, the screen flashes red, green, blue continuously until I move the mouse at which point it stops and the desktop comes back up and everything is back to normal

I have done a complete reinstall of the latest drivers and done a factory reset on the monitor via the OSD, but neither has resolved the issue. Has anyone got any ideas on how to solve it?

Its sounds like some kind service mode that they use at the factory is kicking in to me.. does it still happen with the monitor in deep sleep mode disabled ?

Just found this and it seems it might be related to the deep sleep mode try disabling it and report back.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19676955

Last edited:
Associate
Still no further on in my decision on this monitor or the u2515h.

I want Dell for customer service/warranty purposes.

Unfortunately I just missed out on one of these on the MM for £320 but have just seen they can be now had for £390 brand new. Albeit from a competitor. Can't see OCUK matching that?

Soldato
Associate
Just got one for £369 google was my friend. Only 1 left in stock now though.

Brand new?

I'll have a look thanks, cheapest I've found is 390 from a big OCUK competitor but its 400 through them on their popular bidding website account.

EDIT: Just seen where you got it from, dunno if I trust that website, looks very unprofessional ??

Back
Top Bottom