Corsa C 1.7DTI issue....

Caporegime
Well, I'm warming to my new beast, a Corsa C 1.7DTI, bought it cheap, it's an 02 plate with 147k on the clock, so far I've managed 470miles from 40litres (45litre tank iirc) and I'm liking its economy after my old e39 very much but,it seems to have a weird surge type issue, if you accelerate hard (as in just making progress rather than trying to rag the nuts off it) it feels as if I'm very slightly pulsing the throttle slightly, as in it feels as if I'm lifting off a tad and then reapplying throttle, which I'm not but that's how I'd describe it, it seems to run out of puff at around 90 (where I think it's supposed to be good for 100 or so eventually) , I'm running it on BP Ultimate (my thinking is it's probably got gunged up injectors and the tanks so small it makes little difference cost wise) it starts first turn of the key hot or cold and seems to throw out no soot / black smoke whatsoever which is a surprise....

Am I just expecting a bit too much from it? - I'm used to rather larger diesels with very progressive power delivery - it's gutless below 1500rpm but picks up very nicely until about 4K.....

Suggestions please (apart from bin it! :p) it's merely a cheap thing to hack around in but I'd like it running right, assuming it isn't!

Cheers.

Soldato
My friend had one of these many years ago it should be good for 120mph ! It seemed pretty nippy. I would probably give it a good service including fuel filter and see what it is like afterwards.

EDIT Just noticed the DTI bit ! his was the CDTI model. Still the DTI model has a top speed of 106 so I would have thought it should comfortably manage more than 90.

Last edited:
Soldato
Was going to say throttle body or something like that then remembered the diesel bit. Surely there is a throttle position sensor (or similar) which controls the mixture.

Soldato
Well, I'm warming to my new beast, a Corsa C 1.7DTI, bought it cheap, it's an 02 plate with 147k on the clock, so far I've managed 470miles from 40litres (45litre tank iirc) and I'm liking its economy after my old e39 very much but,it seems to have a weird surge type issue, if you accelerate hard (as in just making progress rather than trying to rag the nuts off it) it feels as if I'm very slightly pulsing the throttle slightly, as in it feels as if I'm lifting off a tad and then reapplying throttle, which I'm not but that's how I'd describe it, it seems to run out of puff at around 90 (where I think it's supposed to be good for 100 or so eventually) , I'm running it on BP Ultimate (my thinking is it's probably got gunged up injectors and the tanks so small it makes little difference cost wise) it starts first turn of the key hot or cold and seems to throw out no soot / black smoke whatsoever which is a surprise....

Am I just expecting a bit too much from it? - I'm used to rather larger diesels with very progressive power delivery - it's gutless below 1500rpm but picks up very nicely until about 4K.....

Suggestions please (apart from bin it! :p) it's merely a cheap thing to hack around in but I'd like it running right, assuming it isn't!

Cheers.

My Wife's DCi Micra had the same symptoms. I changed the fuel filter, cleaned the EGR then filled it with Vpower and it runs perfect now.

Caporegime
OP
It seemed a little better on the drive home this morning, I'll try a new fuel filter and see what changes, a mate has suggested I use Shell instead of BP ultimate in it, any truth in this?

Thanks for the replies. :)

Soldato
I'd probably whack a bottle of injector clearner like redex or whatever though it as it'll have more immediate effect than the posh fuels. As said change the fuel filter as they can get quite manky and definitely clean the EGR as if its never been done it could be almost completely blocked up with soot.

Soldato
My Corsa B did this quite violently when I first got it, after a tank of very spirited driving with half a bottle of Redex in it has noticeably improved. It's now more of a slight head nod than whiplash inducing :p

Soldato
It seemed a little better on the drive home this morning, I'll try a new fuel filter and see what changes, a mate has suggested I use Shell instead of BP ultimate in it, any truth in this?

Yes - Shell Vpower has detergents in it. I had an EML light on in my old, now sold Peugeot 307 within a couple of miles of filling up with it the light went out.

Caporegime
OP
It had a bottle of redex with its first tank (in my ownership) which seems to have made no difference, I'll try Shell next as I'm not impressed BP Ultimate has gone up from £1.18ppl to £1.25ppl at my local garage, robbing gits!

What's the best way to clean the EGR? (Tbh I'm surprised it's got one!)

Associate
The 1.7 is a pretty indestructible engine. Sounds like it just needs some serviceable items changing and a good Italian tune up, should make it as 'good' as new.

Soldato
Personally I'd stick to BP when it comes to diesels, but you're right they're usually rather more expensive. BP are the only company (afaik) that uses hydrotreated vegetable oil instead of biodiesel (methyl esters) in their diesel. Long story short, it's way better for your engine, the oil and the DPF.

BP said:
Hydrotreated vegetable oils (HVO) do not have the detrimental effects of ester-type biodiesel fuels, like increased NOx emissions, deposit formation, storage stability problems, more rapid aging of engine oil or po or cold properties. HVOs are straight chain paraffinic hydrocarbons that are free of aromatics, oxygen and sulfur and have high cetane numbers.

Associate

I doubt very much fuel type will make a difference with the fault you're describing, if you want to make sure everything is clean and i mean clean clean, not meh clean with additives, put some proper biodiesel in it (not veggie oil).

The Y17DT isn't a bad engine (Isuzu) and pretty simple, could be a dodgy boost solenoid cutting the boost under load, my brothers old Astra van did something similar so i hooked up a boost gauge and noticed it drop off, stuck a spare manual controller on it and it sorted it out.

You might be best asking on a Vauxhall forum, the MK4 Astra has the same engine, the older combo the same but without an intercooler and different map.

You can pick up an Opcom (Vauxhall's Tech2) clone tool off eBay for less than £20 that you connect to a laptop and read fault codes, read live data, program options and new keys etc.

But yeah, an Italian tune up couldn't hurt along with a fuel filter change.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks again, I'll invest in a code reader.

Its had a few "Italian tune ups" since I've owned it but tbh its making no difference at all, I'm still surprised by its apparent complete lack of smoke under load, got it upto 95 this morning (on my private airfield) took sodding ages though but progress over the same distance from the other day when it wouldn't pass 90....

Any recommendations for a good Vauxhall forum please?

Another thing, I've tried Googling the EGR for a 1.7 DTI (Y17DT engine) and I'm only finding results for the CDTI which isn't what I have, are we sure mine has one?

Associate
It's the same engine as fitted to the mk4 Astra so should have an EGR, right hand side of the engine at the front there should be a silver pipe with two bolts on the join, that's the inlet.

You can bypass them on these with a 2p piece on the inlet side ;)

Generally if the EGR is coked up it will bog down on power and you should notice excess smoke but if you're not having the smoke it might not be the EGR, they do run better with it blanked off regardless, they do also respond well to a remap, most places can boost the power to circa 100bhp and it completely transformed the performance of the Astra especially on the motorway, fuel consumption was roughly the same when driven sensibly.

Edit:
MZEGR6501.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
It's the same engine as fitted to the mk4 Astra so should have an EGR, right hand side of the engine at the front there should be a silver pipe with two bolts on the join, that's the inlet.

You can bypass them on these with a 2p piece on the inlet side ;)

Generally if the EGR is coked up it will bog down on power and you should notice excess smoke but if you're not having the smoke it might not be the EGR, they do run better with it blanked off regardless, they do also respond well to a remap, most places can boost the power to circa 100bhp and it completely transformed the performance of the Astra especially on the motorway, fuel consumption was roughly the same when driven sensibly.

Edit:
http://galeria.123.opole.pl/images/2013/10/13/MZEGR6501.jpg[/ig][/QUOTE]

I'm lying in bed reading this so won't check just now but basically your saying if it's got this bit fitted, bank it off with a 2p or whatever and see what happens? :)

Back
Top Bottom