Fishing - Anybody doing any ?

Soldato
Does anyone do any fishing in or around London?

Whenever I've been recently it's been a real trek and was hoping to find some a little closer to home. Preferably fly fishing but open to whatever...

Soldato
Does anyone do any fishing in or around London?

Whenever I've been recently it's been a real trek and was hoping to find some a little closer to home. Preferably fly fishing but open to whatever...

Few flyfishing places out near Dorking in surrey, then there's Bewell Bridge reservoir down in Kent.

Soldato
The weather wasn't great and the fish weren't really biting but I had a great time. There were eleven people fishing and in total we got nine dogfish, a couple of small dab, and lots of mini-crabs. In a four hour trip :(

Still here is my dogfish:

dogfish_zps28revkrv.png

Both my nephew and I lost biggish flatfish at the surface. Everybody else kept their catch but I put mine back :cool:

Nice :) Always admire doggies.. little blighters have a go at everything :D (had one on my trip out ... it was munching on a large mackerel bait out just in case of any early ray species) but let go of the bait on the surface :D

Doggies, Smoothhounds and Tope always give a good fight. If you want something to knock your socks off hire a rod and go wrecking :) or even conger.. (conger rip your arms out of the sockets :eek:)

A lot of the boats use decent dependable gear but with that it always feels like you're not about to loose the fish :/ The lighter you go the more "omg gonna loose it" feeling you get.

Flattish or ray? (did it feel like you were pulling a kite in? = ray). Flatties are good fun and on the right gear will give a good fight.

On my year list this year are:
* ling
* big conger - one that will give my 50lb rod a proper battle (so that means big).
* more rays
* smooth hound and tope

I'd like to get some bass and others but let's start with 4 on the list hehe :D

Soldato
this time next year week Rodney ;)
although i think the Smooth Hound wont be about till mid May

Ahh may be interested in a trip down :D Seems I should have the final green light on the offer next week.. so I think a trip down will be in order, then possibly a boat and some mackerel feathering off the wall too..

Soldato
Few flyfishing places out near Dorking in surrey, then there's Bewell Bridge reservoir down in Kent.

A question I had for you all is can you just turn up by the sea and start casting or do you all get angling licences? I've not been sea or salt water fishing in over a decade :(

Soldato

A question I had for you all is can you just turn up by the sea and start casting or do you all get angling licences? I've not been sea or salt water fishing in over a decade :(

Actually there's a large carp place (including fishing supplies) - Apollo Angling Centre. (Marsh Farm, Station Ln, Enton, Godalming GU8 5AE) they're just up the road (taxi drive perhaps) form Milford station.

Have a look on google maps.

Soldato
Nice :) Always admire doggies.. little blighters have a go at everything :D

Flattish or ray? (did it feel like you were pulling a kite in? = ray). Flatties are good fun and on the right gear will give a good fight.

On my year list this year are:
* ling
* big conger - one that will give my 50lb rod a proper battle (so that means big).
* more rays
* smooth hound and tope

I'd like to get some bass and others but let's start with 4 on the list hehe :D

Dogfish are so bendy and strong. It wrapped itself around my arm like a snake. It wouldn't let me get the hook out until I had a stern word with it face to face. The lost fish were probably **** or flounder. Not very big or exciting. My nephew got a tiny baby whiting too.

Ling is really tasty. There are squillions of smooth hound and tope in Morecambe Bay during the summer. Going to try and do an eight-hour trip in the summer. The skupper said he goes further out to better spots and the fishing is immeasurably better.

In the meantime my brother and his lad have challenged me and the missus to a carp challenge in their neck of the woods, the West Yorkshire Pennines. Probably an effort to avenge their loss at sea :D

Last edited:
Associate
People moan about doggies, there good fun on super light (Spinning robs)

This year my fishing targets are

Spotted Ray and Blonde to complete the set of the 5 main species
Turbot

I'd like to get my Ray and Conger Sea Angler mission badges as well, I've caught qualifying fish in the past but not claimed the badge. Any one else collect these?

Managed my 2015 targets double figure Cod & Blue Shark :)

Man of Honour

sea fishing is free, so no licence is required,
but some places may charge to fish like pier's and harbour walls

Man of Honour
Dogfish are so bendy and strong. It wrapped itself around my arm like a snake. It wouldn't let me get the hook out until I had a stern word with it face to face

they will take skin off as they are like sandpaper,
bend the tail round to its head and you can hold it safely in one hand leaving the other hand free to get the hook out

Soldato
Mwahaha .. job offer green lighted by exec board so that means when I sign (assuming the additional checks of working in finance pass) I have a job :D

SO... Cainer ... looks like it's a bit rainy next week.. but will keep my eye on the weather.

Soldato
People moan about doggies, there good fun on super light (Spinning robs)
This year my fishing targets are
Spotted Ray and Blonde to complete the set of the 5 main species
Turbot
I'd like to get my Ray and Conger Sea Angler mission badges as well, I've caught qualifying fish in the past but not claimed the badge. Any one else collect these?
Managed my 2015 targets double figure Cod & Blue Shark :)

Not the SA badges but I keep a record of what I've caught. So far the conger was caught on my 50lb rod, and completely over gunned. The 20lb/20-30lb rod would have been find with it.

I've caught a small spotted ray - the thing was about the size of my hand lol so not more like pulling weed in than a fish.

Blue Shark is on the list.. and I have the gear that could cope (although a more stout reel may be on the books). However maybe next year when I can travel to a location that has a good reputation for them.

Soldato

As cainer has said.. you could even use your normal carp gear initially.

There's quite a shift in terms of boat-based gear, now there's more fashion to use lighter gear as most of the fish are smaller than they used to be.

Associate
Not the SA badges but I keep a record of what I've caught. So far the conger was caught on my 50lb rod, and completely over gunned. The 20lb/20-30lb rod would have been find with it.

I've caught a small spotted ray - the thing was about the size of my hand lol so not more like pulling weed in than a fish.

Blue Shark is on the list.. and I have the gear that could cope (although a more stout reel may be on the books). However maybe next year when I can travel to a location that has a good reputation for them.

I got my Blue from Looe, last July. We had two days and caught 3 blues, one each which was handy. 60,75 and 125lbs lots of waiting around, then the reels starts clicking and its all action. I think Pembrokeshire/Milford Haven is probably better and you've got more change of a Porgy turning up there!

I had a 40lbs Conger on a 20lbs rod, 15lbs braid on a Diawa BG20, they fight hard, not much I could do with it until it got a bit tired.

You'd be ok with 30lbs class gear for a Blue Shark, you'll want 50-80lbs mono, so need quiet a chunky reel. We had the skippers gear which was really heavy, and made me feel that the shark wasn't that powerful. I've seen videos of people using fly gear to catch them.

Last edited:
Soldato
@ NickK 28lb Blonde ray caught at Selsey :o
in his FB post he mentioned groynes, so he must have fished either the East beach or the Point, we fished the West beach last time.

Yeah, there's groynes all the way around almost to the west beach by looking at google.

However he's at night too.. so that's likely to be a point.

Back
Top Bottom