Starting swimming, any advice?

Caporegime
The trouble is I don't really have time to organize lessons. I spoke to the Universities head swim coach a few months back and he said he might be able to help me out in the summer when there is no race training but I should also be a better swimmer before I see him anyway.

I've been using some online resources and they helped a lot, e.g. breath out while my head is down. I think i'm just really inefficient and try to go to fast

Soldato
After doing drills for most of my sessions recently, I decided to go for a straight distance target tonight. I haven't really done a "long" swim for ages as I just haven't had the motivation due to being **** and slow.

Tonight I managed 2000m wearing my wetsuit shorts in 46mins and I managed to not get hypoxia too.

Still really slow and still requiring my buoyancy shorts but it felt good to actually complete a distance without giving up in exhaustion.

Caporegime
The problem is I can't even do half that distance without the buoyancy shorts. I just sink and get tired :(

You are swimming way faster than i am!

Not that I know F all about swimming but it is problem a symptom of some other issue, e.g. if you head goes high then your hips will rotate down to compensate. I also read that the kick is more important to keep your head-high than the actually propulsion it generates (and for a Tri you want to minimize leg movement so the kick is mostly to help body position I think).

Of course all of that could be completely wrong. i've just been watching loads of youtube videos. It also seems much easier in theory than in practice, i cam jotted down a load of tips and pointers but i don't seem to be making any of the obvious mistakes they point out - I surely am though.

Soldato
So I've read through the thread and I get the impression it's not really a novice/beginner thread what with all the triathlon chat and xmiles per week chat. As with lots of gyms and fitness things it can be intimidating. Even reading this thread makes me kind of dread trying to find a pool. It's actually kinda serious thread.

So I thought I would chime in as a *real* novice.
I'm overweight, hairy, don't own fancy neoprene or gear and don't have a lot of money or motivation to make this my main hobby. Naturally going out to a public place wearing very little is not my idea of fun.

But, I had an injury 6 months ago and am now in a position where I am able to start doing exercise and where it'll really help me progress. I'm not going to be able to swim 20,000,000 lengths in 52min3secs like some. I'm going to be that guy who is holding up the pros and wheezing at the side. In fact I'm wondering whether I'll be able to swim more than 5 minutes bearing in mind my now ultra low fitness level and the pain it may cause. But haters gonna hate. I want to try going.

So I'm going to spend a tenner to gain entry to my local place to try because I want to speed up my recovery.

My stats:
Age 28
Height 6'5"
Weight 110kg
Motivation 0
Back hair 5

Gear:
Not particularly well used green swimming shorts with velcro back pocket and fully working drawstrings.

Diet:
Aside from regular restaurant visits and loving cheese, healthy and abundant portions.
I'm not really looking to diet or lose loads of weight or go back to myfitnesspal or anything like that as it made me miserable in the past. I'm starting swimming to get moving and do some exercise.

So I'm sharing this I guess it's because there may be other lurkers like me who've read this thread and quickly abandoned the idea of swimming or exercising in public places such as gyms. Some will think it's nonsense that others find their exercise routines/attitudes/gear intimidating, but it can be.

I'm off to try. Could be as crap as I'm imagining it to be but I'm gonna go for it!

Soldato
Voltar, I'm older and heavier than you, possibly have more back hair too... good on you, give it a go and don't let anybody or anything put you off, yes, you'll struggle initially, I certainly did but it'll build with surprising quickness :)

Soldato
Voltar, I'm older and heavier than you, possibly have more back hair too... good on you, give it a go and don't let anybody or anything put you off, yes, you'll struggle initially, I certainly did but it'll build with surprising quickness :)

Thanks mate. I went to the pool all ready to show the world my back rug.

Turns out the pool was closed for children's swimming lessons. Had a tour and got a timetable so will be back again soon. Reassuringly for me there's a bit where I can do some hydrotherapy type exercises without ruining people's swimming so I'm happy about that. I'll try some lengths, stretching and then a bit in the hot tub when I go. If I enjoy it, happy days. If I don't, I tried.

Now that I've got a timetable to avoid time wasting like today I'll plan it properly and head back.

Caporegime
Voltar- some of us a complete novices as well. i just picked it up a few months ago (although i technically new the basic of swimming before) and barely go once a week, just trying to cover some laps without drowning mainly. With a running injury i've been in the pool twice a week recently and i am slowly getting more confident in breathing during front crawl etc.

Do you have any background in swimming, e.g. lessons back at school and the odd foray in hotel pool now and then I If not you probably want to get lessons form the get go.

Soldato
Voltar- some of us a complete novices as well. i just picked it up a few months ago (although i technically new the basic of swimming before) and barely go once a week, just trying to cover some laps without drowning mainly. With a running injury i've been in the pool twice a week recently and i am slowly getting more confident in breathing during front crawl etc.

Do you have any background in swimming, e.g. lessons back at school and the odd foray in hotel pool now and then I If not you probably want to get lessons form the get go.

Glad to hear it you're making progress :)

I used to swim when I was younger so hoping that it'll be like riding a bike. The pool is fairly shallow at least lol

Soldato
Don't be disheartened when you've swam a length and feel like it'd have been easier climbing Everest! It's going to be tough but tough is good. And don't worry, nobody is watching what you're doing so just do what you can. If you do decide to stick with it, you'll slowly get better and will see benefits, i guarantee it!

Caporegime
Don't be disheartened when you've swam a length and feel like it'd have been easier climbing Everest! It's going to be tough but tough is good. And don't worry, nobody is watching what you're doing so just do what you can. If you do decide to stick with it, you'll slowly get better and will see benefits, i guarantee it!

Can't repeat this enough. i did a 3:27 marathon and felt in great cardio shape. Jumped in the pool and could barely do 1 lap without thinking I've just run a 10K race! I still end up clinging to the poolside every few laps LOL.

What I found though was that you can build of the endurance quite quickly, it really didn't take long to get to 60 and then 90x 25 yard lengths. But getting more comfortable and faster at it is much much slower.

I also found that there are loads of small tips and techniques that make things easier that you just don't realize. For example i really struggled with the breathing but someone said to breath out continuously when the head is underwater, so when you lift your head again you are already to breathe in. The difference was black and white.

Last edited:
Soldato
So I went. It was actually pretty good :)

Someone mentioned no one cares about what other people are doing and I just told myself that and it really helped. Had a good rehab and swim session. I wasn't the fattest person there but was the hairiest.

Pro tips-
Some flip flops/sandals would be a good investment. Slippers prob not the best lol a dressing gown would be a good thing to bring too which I think I'll do next time.
Goggles for just up and down lane swimming may be a good item to buy too.

Try to relax. It'll help with everything- I was surprised I didn't have many issues from my injury and I reckon it was because I was trying hard to relax.

I'll keep sharing as I hope it might be helpful :)

I think I can commit to £5 per week to go once a week too.

Caporegime
Googles are really important, they really help you relax when your head is under water. Plus if you wear contacts they might pop out so goggles are a must.

Soldato
I foolishly decided to go for a wetsuit swim at my local outdoor lido last night.

The water temp was 10-12C apparently, which is far too cold to be enjoyable even in a wetsuit! I gave up after 350m when it felt like I was getting hypothermia.:o

Soldato
I foolishly decided to go for a wetsuit swim at my local outdoor lido last night.

The water temp was 10-12C apparently, which is far too cold to be enjoyable even in a wetsuit! I gave up after 350m when it felt like I was getting hypothermia.:o

That sounds rather cold! Good on you for getting that far tbh.

Thinking of my next trip already- there's a hot tub by the pool which I look forward to relaxing in again post exercise.

Does it particularly matter what goggles one wears?

Soldato
Caporegime
Nope.
I get water in my ears but it drains out soon enough. If you get your ears blocked and start getting ear infections then you probably want ear plugs.

Back
Top Bottom