Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Specialized Comp stems have a shim that can adjust the angle at the steerer, keeping the stem body rock solid.
I've read about this on many of Specialized's range (as I've read up a lot on the Roubaix/Diverge). I think it's just a pair of spacers which are angled the one side to give slight angle when rotated. It's an amazing idea and I'm quite surprised no other brands do something so simple?!
Does anyone have any suggestions for the cheapest rear wheel with Shimano 11 speed support? A friend of mine wants one for his turbo. I'm looking around but haven't found anything cheaper than ~£55 so far.
Facebook buy/sell groups, look for local pickup of old wheels and you might even find one for free. Just looking at mine for 'Herefordshire' and I can see a guy selling a pair of 'Shimano' wheels for £20. No idea what model but that's a fairly normal thing I see on several of them. Worth asking around local CC pages too.
I should have sprung for a KMC chain. I know what'll be going on when this one wears out.
<snip>
So anyway, the next job is cables and then - joy - indexing and finally bar tape.
KMC come with QL's? The last one I had didn't...

Also is indexing that much of a pain?! I actually quite like doing mine, feeling of accomplishment when it's silky smooth and takes me less than 10 mins to change cable & index! Crisp shifting ftw! :D
Was fearing something like this! Really can't be bothered to have to strip everything down and then wait two months for someone to actually do anything :|
I wonder what your options are if you tried to pursue them for a refund of the frame cost instead and then go elsewhere? It's all the 'dangers' of using one of the online etailers - they save costs by having very few usually inexperienced staff. Painful :(

Totally unrelated and after some advice... I've come across a guy selling a set of wheels... The front is an alloy Roval AL35 and the rear is a carbon Roval SL45. I've got him down to £180 including postage which seems an absolute steal! He's said they've less than 3000 miles on them and the rims/hubs as have been used for racing. I'm going to investigate costs on the hubs (thinking to fully strip them), as to me it sounds an amazing deal even if I need to replace a rim. I'm going to use them as a bit of a 'build' set by totally disassembling them, going over the rims with a fine eye (will replace if I notice anything) and rebuilding them. Fully expecting to replace a couple of spokes too.If the hubs are the ones I've read about on the SL45 they're good quality and easily worth £150 second hand alone.

Last edited:
Associate
Need some help please!

After a new GPS, I was pretty much decided on the 520 due to it being able to support maps but now I've read that it doesn't have much memory so you can't really store many (can't find a definitive answer on how much is 'many'). But now I've seen the Wahoo Elemnt and I'm torn between the two!

Anyone have any experience with either/both?

I've been looking at Garmin's as can get one for 50% off with my new work health insurance and then also they'll pay £100 towards it, so I'm getting a 520 for £20, so cant complain!

With regards to mapping dcrainmaker has it covered: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html#part-ii-edge-520-specific-instructions
The edge 520 has upto 98mb of space left for maps roughly left but best to keep it to about 75MB so you have space for activties and courses. I did a test and followed the guide as above to download the maps for the whole of the inner m25 london and all the areas in surrey/kent/herts/berkshire etc I ride in and it came to 75MB. So more than enough covers my areas I ride in plus it took me a couple of mins to generate the map files so would be happy updating it in future for any different areas I ride in.

So I sold the edge 520 to myself as it is the latest garmin cycle computer ignoring the edge 1000 which is huge and expensive! It is small, a significant upgrade on my edge 500, mapping and best of all only £20 for me!

Soldato
Managed to get out for a ride last night thinking it would still be kinda warm despite the grey clouds. How wrong was I - insane headwinds and my toes wanted to drop off after 5 mins. Nonetheless I was quite happy with the stats considering I didn't try to push it too much... 18.8mph for 45.2 miles with a nice 60 minute split of 19.47mph.

I've been looking at Garmin's as can get one for 50% off with my new work health insurance and then also they'll pay £100 towards it, so I'm getting a 520 for £20, so cant complain!
How? That's great. Which health insurance?

Soldato
Yeah what health insurance? I wonder if mine has anything like that, probably doesn't or they'd have mentioned it.

I'm with Bupa. In fact only recently signed up for it as I figured if I had another bike accident and happened to require physio etc it's going to be a lot easier through them than NHS.

Soldato
[...]
I wonder what your options are if you tried to pursue them for a refund of the frame cost instead and then go elsewhere? It's all the 'dangers' of using one of the online etailers - they save costs by having very few usually inexperienced staff. Painful :(
[...]

They do have a store (maybe two?) in Sheffield, which is around 40-50 minutes from me on the train (no car!), so at least they're not purely online.

Oh well, let's see what happens!

Soldato
Managed to get out for a ride last night thinking it would still be kinda warm despite the grey clouds. How wrong was I - insane headwinds and my toes wanted to drop off after 5 mins. Nonetheless I was quite happy with the stats considering I didn't try to push it too much... 18.8mph for 45.2 miles with a nice 60 minute split of 19.47mph.

Same when I went to ride home, wasn't as warm as I thought it'd be, still had knee warmers on luckily wasn't foolish enough to attempt without them.

Associate

With regards to mapping dcrainmaker has it covered: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html#part-ii-edge-520-specific-instructions
The edge 520 has upto 98mb of space left for maps roughly left but best to keep it to about 75MB so you have space for activties and courses. I did a test and followed the guide as above to download the maps for the whole of the inner m25 london and all the areas in surrey/kent/herts/berkshire etc I ride in and it came to 75MB. So more than enough covers my areas I ride in plus it took me a couple of mins to generate the map files so would be happy updating it in future for any different areas I ride in.

So I sold the edge 520 to myself as it is the latest garmin cycle computer ignoring the edge 1000 which is huge and expensive! It is small, a significant upgrade on my edge 500, mapping and best of all only £20 for me!

I couldn't get on with the 520 took it out for it's maiden voyage Sunday for 37 miles. I knew the route but wanted to test the navigation. I couldn't for the life of me get it to alert for a turn if I was on the stat screen. i.e. It would flick to the map screen when a turn was due. I'm not sure if it does that anyway!

I replaced the maps it came with to the openstreetmaps, which was a dead easy process and they do look very nice on the screen but I think coming from the 800 I really miss the turn by turn navigation.

A chap on youtube VeloGPS demonstrates how each device works while riding around.

I've ended up replacing it with the 1000 which hopefully will turn up at the weekend!

Soldato
How do people actually set up proper turn by turn navigation on the 810 etc? I tend to find it rarely notifies me of a turn although that could be useful sometimes. I normally export the TCX from Strava.

Associate
How? That's great. Which health insurance?

Yeah what health insurance? I wonder if mine has anything like that, probably doesn't or they'd have mentioned it.

Vitality Halth insurance: http://www.pruhealth.co.uk/vitality/partners/garmin/

Seems really good so far, but you get points for being active and having free health tests and then the points take you to different tiers which gives you different levels of discounts i.e. flights, eurostar, cinema tickets and also I get £30 cashback a quarter for not smoking and having the saliva test to prove this. Points are given for uploading rides/runs from my garmin and it giving 10 points for a 30 min run for example! Only downside is you can only get a max of 40 active points a week which I'm maxing in my quest for the platinum tier!

Soldato
How do people actually set up proper turn by turn navigation on the 810 etc? I tend to find it rarely notifies me of a turn although that could be useful sometimes. I normally export the TCX from Strava.

Export as GPX from a Strava ride or RidewithGPS.

Put the file onto the Garmin by dropping it in the 'NewFiles' folder when connected to your PC.

Turn on Garmin and look for it in the 'Courses' menu.

Select the course, select spanner icon, set 'Turn Guidance' to on, 'Virtual Partner' to off.

Press GO

????

Profit!

You have to do this for each route you put on the Garmin which is the annoying bit.

Soldato
I couldn't get on with the 520 took it out for it's maiden voyage Sunday for 37 miles. I knew the route but wanted to test the navigation. I couldn't for the life of me get it to alert for a turn if I was on the stat screen. i.e. It would flick to the map screen when a turn was due. I'm not sure if it does that anyway!

I replaced the maps it came with to the openstreetmaps, which was a dead easy process and they do look very nice on the screen but I think coming from the 800 I really miss the turn by turn navigation.

A chap on youtube VeloGPS demonstrates how each device works while riding around.

I've ended up replacing it with the 1000 which hopefully will turn up at the weekend!

any pointers on the openstreetmaps process?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom