First custom Overclockers PC

Associate
5820k has 6 cores (12 threads)
6700k has 4 cores (8 threads)

So for editing, rendering etc the 5820k is faster because of its 50% greater multi-threaded abilities. There are more advantages as games generally will only utilise 4 cores at maximum. So you can use those spare 2 cores for other software while gaming at the same time. Such as I am running a virus scan and playing bf4 at the same time. DX12 should also allow utilisation of all cores but will be a while before it comes into full effect. Some games do like the extra cores.

In terms of gaming clock for clock. There is negligable difference in perfomance between the two.

Both are also very closely priced and both overclock well.

This ^^^^^ :)

Associate
OP
5820k has 6 cores (12 threads)
6700k has 4 cores (8 threads)

So for editing, rendering etc the 5820k is faster because of its 50% greater multi-threaded abilities. There are more advantages as games generally will only utilise 4 cores at maximum. So you can use those spare 2 cores for other software while gaming at the same time. Such as I am running a virus scan and playing bf4 at the same time. DX12 should also allow utilisation of all cores but will be a while before it comes into full effect. Some games do like the extra cores.

In terms of gaming clock for clock. There is negligable difference in perfomance between the two.

Both are also very closely priced and both overclock well.

Thank you for your fantastic advice! You would have sold me on the 5820k, except... Doesn't that mean I would have to change my motherboard? :(

Soldato
Thank you for your fantastic advice! You would have sold me on the 5820k, except... Doesn't that mean I would have to change my motherboard? :(

Yes you would need to swap to an X99 board. Also change the Ram to a Quad channel kit.

If you want the same colour board then the MSI Gaming 7 is the same sort of price.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £365.47
(includes shipping: £10.50)

Associate
OP
Yes you would need to swap to an X99 board. Also change the Ram to a Quad channel kit.

If you want the same colour board then the MSI Gaming 7 is the same sort of price.

If changing the CPU means changing a huge amount of my build now, post-purchase, I'd honestly rather not go down that route. I also wouldn't want a quad channel kit just yet as I plan on updating the 2x8GB to a 4x8GB 32GB in the future, likely when I upgrade to Pascal.

Also I really, really wanted the Maximus VIII Hero. I saw it at launch and I just... Wanted it. All this time. For reasons I'm not even sure of myself anymore. :p

Soldato
If changing the CPU means changing a huge amount of my build now, post-purchase, I'd honestly rather not go down that route. I also wouldn't want a quad channel kit just yet as I plan on updating the 2x8GB to a 4x8GB 32GB in the future, likely when I upgrade to Pascal.

Also I really, really wanted the Maximus VIII Hero. I saw it at launch and I just... Wanted it. All this time. For reasons I'm not even sure of myself anymore. :p

There is nothing wrong with sticking with a Skylake build, and if you like that Asus Skylake board then stick with it.

The quad ram kit was just for the X99 board as that platform has a quad channel memory controller. For Skylake then stay with the 2 x 8GB Kit.

Associate
OP
There is nothing wrong with sticking with a Skylake build, and if you like that Asus Skylake board then stick with it.

The quad ram kit was just for the X99 board as that platform has a quad channel memory controller. For Skylake then stay with the 2 x 8GB Kit.

Thanks! The people on this forum are so nice and so helpful. I do want to stick to a Skylake build. I've asked OcUK to swap the Titan X to a 980Ti, upgrade the boot PCI-e SSD to 256GB, add a second 1TB EVO SSD for RAID0 config, and swap the Vengeance RAM for Dominator Platinum. That last one is purely for aesthetic reasons. :p

And of course, I want to swap the stock fans for purple LED fans so my build looks more like this. :D

Soldato
Thanks! The people on this forum are so nice and so helpful. I do want to stick to a Skylake build. I've asked OcUK to swap the Titan X to a 980Ti, upgrade the boot PCI-e SSD to 256GB, add a second 1TB EVO SSD for RAID0 config, and swap the Vengeance RAM for Dominator Platinum. That last one is purely for aesthetic reasons. :p

And of course, I want to swap the stock fans for purple LED fans so my build looks more like this. :D

You are welcome.

The pci-e ssd won't really give you much extra performance for things like boot times or gaming. There is no harm in keeping it in there though if you don't want to change the spec again.

I personally would have put the 1TB 850 evo as the boot/main drive and then gone with a 1TB Western Digital Blue Hard drive for mass storage.

If you are sticking with the Samsung SM951 256GB then check that it is the NVMe version and not the ACHI one.

Soldato
Yeah nothing wrong with the skylake build. Just to say the X99 does have 8 RAM slots so you could upgrade to 32gb with 8x4gb sticks.

If you like the Viii hero you will probably like the RVE x99.

But if your set on skylake a 6700k will still be perfect.Enjoy the build :). Put some pictures up when you have got it all finished.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Based on everybody's feedback, I made the following changes to my build pre-delivery:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Skylake) Processor (£299.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (£89.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha Intel Z170 Motherboard (£235.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black (£109.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Storage: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 PCI-e NVMe Solid State Drive (£109.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Storage: 2 x Samsung 1.0TB 850 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA Solid State Drives in RAID0 (£499.90 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980Ti Matrix 6144MB GDDR5 Graphics Card (£649.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case: In-Win 805 Aluminium Midi-Tower Case - Gold (£129.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
LEDs: Alchemy 2.0 Magnetic Connect 15 LED-Strip 60cm - Purple (£14.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Fans: 5 x Corsair Air Series 1500RPM LED Purple Quiet Edition fans (£44.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair RM Series RMi 850 '80+ Gold' 850W Modular Power Supply (£129.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) (purchased)
Monitor: Acer Predator X34 34" 3440x1440 IPS 100Hz G-SYNC Super-Wide Curved LED Monitor (£869.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Chroma Wired Gaming Keyboard (purchased)
Mouse: Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum Wireless Gaming Mouse (purchased)
Headphones: HyperX Cloud II Gaming Headset - Gunmetal (purchased)

Total: £3,633 (roughly. I used the Overclockers config. :rolleyes:)

Last edited:
Associate
I went with a 6700K build only this week. Didn't see the advantages of a 5820K build for gaming. My OS drive is a new MX200 500GB, again don't think the advantages of M.2 speedwise is worth the cost and potential throttling due to heat..

Soldato
Not necessarily what I'd go for with that budget (indeed I didn't - that SSD price is astronomical but I have no such requirements), but differing requirements and all that. It'll undoubtedly be a very nice system.

Soldato
I went with a 6700K build only this week. Didn't see the advantages of a 5820K build for gaming. My OS drive is a new MX200 500GB, again don't think the advantages of M.2 speedwise is worth the cost and potential throttling due to heat..

The 950 Pro range doesn't thermal throttle at all. Though as you said for normal every day use (gaming, browsing, light work apps) they make absolutely no difference speed wise to SATA SSD's.

My desktop 6700K system runs a 850 EVO. I recently bought an Asus ROG Skylake laptop, which came with an SM951 nvme 256GB SSD, cannot tell the difference in my usage at all.

Nice to have the M.2 slot ready to go for when they come down in price and capacities go up though, etc :)

Back
Top Bottom