PC Gamer Just Ordered A PS4 - Games Recommendations ?

Soldato
Is MGSV fun to play in ~1hr stints though? Thinking about getting it now it's cheap. I don't have the time or patience for Bloodborne.

Yes, there are loads of small missions that can take less that an hour it just depends how you tackle them. I like to snipe people with Quiet and then run in and zip them out! The Wormhole Fulton is quality :D

Associate
Everyone keeps on saying the Last of Us, but it's by no means a perfect game (someone needs to be real here). Buy it if you want great story, but the gameplay isn't anything amazing. It's like Bioshock Infinite in that regard. Story that gets you, but gameplay that might get you... mad. Keyword is 'might'.

I'd recommend the Uncharted Collection (I've been wanting to buy it since it released) and the upcoming Uncharted 4 looks ever better. Those games are kinda like modern day Tomb Raider, but with much better story across multiple games. The mechanics might be iffy in the earlier games, but it's probably the best value for money PS4 title: 3 games in one.

Bloodborne is a killer app if one likes the Dark Souls type games, though it's not exactly the same as Dark Souls (otherwise it would have been called Dark Souls 2.5 or something). It's got a lot of interesting lore to boot too, a lot of that creepy Lovecraftian-type stuff.

Infamous Second Son (and I think there was another one) is a good action game exclusive to PS4. Muck around with superpowers and have fun.

If you like games like the Telltale games, you might like Heavy Rain Remastered. IMO, it's much like the Last of Us, but with less 'traditional' gameplay. Awesome story (it must be seen by all!), meh gameplay. It's like playing a movie. As for plot: it can be some pretty grim stuff, in the good kind of way.

Similar to that recommendation is Until Dawn. A highly acclaimed game of 2016, it's a horror game with those similar exploration/QTE elements and has a suprisingly charming story. It's great to play with friends, you can argue over timed decisions and if characters get killed. I watch the Scary Game Squad play this one and it was hilarious XD

Drive Club is the racing game, if you like that sort of stuff. It's a very good looking arcadey racer and great for multiplayer (the online sort, no split-screen).

If you didn't play Journey on PS3, it's the must-own indie title on the sytem (and also highly acclaimed, many people's GoTY when it first released). I won't spoil it, but it's short but sweet and there's a lot of feelings and meaning behind it. Probably the deepest game on this list.

If you like grindy MMO gameplay mixed with FPS (like the Division), then Destiny wil be right up your alley. Though it's best to find friends to play it with. I'd steer clear of it personally, mainly due to the way they are selling that game (DLC is literally required for the best experience). As many people say, year 1 was terrible, but year 2 got better. But then one long time Destiny player had this to say.

If you even consider the Order 1886... this.

I won't recommend many multi-platform/non-exclusive titles, since OP mentioned they are a PC gamer and are thus likely to have already played them, but Rocket League is a good shout, since it has cross-play you can play with your buddies on PC. Some games with abysmal PC ports like Arkham Knight have their best version on PS4.

Game to look out for in the future include Horizon Zero Dawn and No Man's Sky, but wait till they release.

Soldato
TLOU : The gameplay is 'good' but it's the storytelling, score and voice acting that makes it great. Either way it's one of the shining examples of the medium and you should play it.

Soldato
I'm mainly a PC gamer myself. Bloodbourne is probably the highlight, its a huge timesink. The last of us, Uncharted collection and God of war 3 are great examples of why PC gamers should own a console if possible :) Those are fun and fairly light weight games.

I'll probably get panned for this, but if you have mates to play it with, Destiny is worth a punt. I wouldn't bother for single player though.

Soldato
i simply cannot put into words how fantastic The Last Of Us is.. i must have played it through 4 or 5 times now. nothing story, or gameplay wise has compared for me since. :(

starts off a tad slow... but picks up pace very quickly. one of the finest games of all time. on any platform.

edit: as for the uncharted collection, which i also have.. (and i have the originals) hasn't aged very well, at all. played the first game for a few hours. the puzzles were "meh" the bullet sponge enemies felt like they came as a constant wave until you reached a certain point on the map, also not helped by the fact the ak47 felt and sounded about as powerful as a peashooter. i cant bring myself to start the 2nd or 3rd, because i dont want it ruining my memory of what was a fantastic set of games. years ago.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just played through TLoU and it is perfect. Mahius is talking nonsense as the gameplay and everything else about it is also perfect. :)

That he then went on to praise games with QTEs says it all really.

Heavy Rain's story is a bit rubbish, I liked Beyond: Two Souls more. Better written, better acting and better gameplay.

Associate
Everyone keeps on saying the Last of Us, but it's by no means a perfect game (someone needs to be real here). Buy it if you want great story, but the gameplay isn't anything amazing. It's like Bioshock Infinite in that regard. Story that gets you, but gameplay that might get you... mad. Keyword is 'might'.

About sums up my view of it. Storytelling is excellent (and I have no interest in the zombie circle jerk of the past few years) and the game is intense.

The enemies becoming ethereal halfway through a combo with hand weapons is one of the most annoying things I have encountered on any game, let alone one so revered.

The artificial stupidity of the enemies will have laughing at times.

Soldato
The gameplay is 'good'. Not stellar, but definitely quite solid. So long as you're playing the 60fps PS4 version and not the sub-30fps PS3 version.

Turn off Listening Mode and play on Hard, though. This is where the game really shines. Listening Mode makes a lot of encounters much less tense. And the biggest contribution playing on Hard over Normal makes is *FAR* less drops and loot. It really feels a lot like a proper survival horror game in terms of the tension and scarcity of ammo and supplies. This makes it so you cant rely on just shooting your way through encounters but have to get inventive and mix things up. Ensures your experience will not at all be one-dimensional.

Why aren't they being listed here then
He's saying that for PS4 in general, there's lots of great games. But for people with capable PC's, it only leaves the exclusives, which aren't quite as numerous as before.

Which I'd agree with, being in the same boat. That said, the list is growing and The Last of Us and Bloodborne are already must-plays.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom