Changed my domain, now a stupid question

Associate
Hi all, I just contacted Vidahost and they added my new domain name as an alias so that it mirrors my existing one. I know the DNS propagation has to take place and the new domain points to my existing site.

I will set up an redirect but my question is when I click a link on my site, it reverts back to the old domain name in the address bar. I was told in my last post that I need to run a plug-in to allow me to update my Wordpress site with the new domain information.

So just want to confirm that I need to change the databases, etc in wordpress so that the links update to the new domain or will this update once the DNS propagation happens?

Sorry for the dumb question and thanks in advance for any advice.

Associate
Are you looking for your new domain to become the primary domain for the website? Will you continue to renew the old domain or is this part of a temporary switch over?

The reason why links on your site revert to the old domain is because that one is still set in the WordPress configuration (so it generates links relative to that domain). If you want to change it, see the "WordPress Address" and "Site Address" values in the "General" settings page.

Depending on exactly what it is you want to do, you will likely need to do some additional configuration so that your "old" domain redirects to the primary domain.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your reply. I want it to become my primary domain as I still got 2 years left on my old one and I am looking to use it for another site later in the year.

I will look into that, but at the moment I am restoring from a updraftplus back up as using a plugin called Go Live URL to update the wordpress install references and it killed my site and instead of giving it co.uk, it give it a .co.co for some bizarre reason, so I could not access my WP Admin or the site. Lucky I do regular backups of the site as I removed wordpress in cpanel and reinstalled it and am now restoring from my back up.

Thanks again for the reply

Permabanned
The base way it to change the old domain to new one in the wp database itself. Also check the wp-config for host name and other details to be updated.

Associate
There are settings (in General) admin to change domain

For the future have a look at Duplicator handles the backup / domain change in one

Back
Top Bottom