BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
Ok, that 330 price is actually including emergency service and for new customers. The renewal quotes should be the same as those for the X3.

Soldato
Thanks Fox, I have updated the figures in my post above to show both now excluding Emergency Service. 330i showing as more expensive than the X3, is this expected due to higher mileage and being older, or the convertible roof being a complex beast? Seems odd that the 330i annual price with £100 excess is cheaper than the X3 price for the same thing but they are both the same cost if paying monthly :confused:

Man of Honour
The difference is because the X3 price is a renewal price and the 330i price is a new policy price. Both the X3 and the 330i have the same warranty cost.

You can tell the 330i is a new customer price because £0 excess it not available - which isn't the case on renewals.

BMW price warranties in series and the X is a 3 for this purpose. So whether you have a 318i manual or an X3 35d or a 335i M Sport Cab the policy is the same price.

Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato
[TW]Fox;29378202 said:
Those are the new customer prices, they used to have a discount of around 15% for renewals. It seems from those prices that this has stopped...

Does this still happen? I paid an extra £60 this year over last year for a fully comprehensive policy (both years was £250 excess and including emergency service). Last year was a renewal on the original 3 years manufacturer warranty if that makes a difference.

Man of Honour
Read further down the thread, it transpires he was quoting the new price as he hadnt had the renewal through yet. It does still happen, his renewal quote is less than the new customer price for the X3 :)

Associate
Chaps, could I ask your opinion and advice....

A few weeks ago I had my car serviced at the BMW dealer and the NS headlight washer jet was repaired, however I noticed today as I walked past the car that the plastic covers were not 100% aligned, I was unable to pull/click them into place from fear of breaking something and I can't push from behind as its all covered.

Would these have been removed/disturbed to gain access and not fixed back into place, coming loose over time?

ns_plastic.jpg

Also on further inspection I noticed a split just on the inside corner of the bumper above the washer jet area.

ns_light.jpg

Can't say I've noticed this before at all either.

What do you guys think? Is this at all related or just something that wasn't right in the first place.

Apologies for the low light photos.

Would appreciate your comments. Thanks.

Soldato
M2 is my car of the moment. So much want.

Whilst the M2 looks great, I must admit I was thinking "What's the catch" - to which the last 5 minutes addressed this. I think all of those cost cutting exercises would just end up really, really annoying me.

A crooked seat to save on the cost of moving the steering? No ///M button? No independently adjustable steering/suspension/throttle? Basically all the same big parts as the M4? An engine which is just a very, very slightly fettled version of the M135i/235i engine and basically the same engine that was in a 2010 335i and completely identical to the one in the beloved X4 40i models? Great, your new M2 has the same engine in as your mates, mums new 4x4. The M2 is just a product of a BMW parts bin.

Now, I know there has to be cost cutting and I'm all for efficiencies where there is no hit, but I can't help but think that now BMW have introduced all of these new models that no one even asked for (I mean, who hasn't been waiting for the new 2 Series Grand and Active Tourer, or the X4 or the 3 series Grand Tourer?!), they're doing a VW and just sharing all of the parts - and that's one of the things that have always put me off VW's. You can buy about 15 different cars, all built on the same chassis and using the exact same parts.

To me, what you're left with is a car with little identity - which I guess is fine for all of the other models, but half of what makes the ///M cars special is that they are slightly bespoke. They have an engine ONLY featured in M models and most of the parts are specific to that model. I really don't like the "Let's see what's in the parts bin today!" way of doing things.

Obviously these "problems" are all in my head, and the end product is a car that is meant to be utterly fantastic to drive, but I just can't shake the feeling that it isn't as "special" as the other ///M cars or previous models.

Last edited:
Soldato
Whilst the M2 looks great, I must admit I was thinking "What's the catch" - to which the last 5 minutes addressed this. I think all of those cost cutting exercises would just end up really, really annoying me.

A crooked seat to save on the cost of moving the steering? No ///M button? No independently adjustable steering/suspension/throttle? Basically all the same big parts as the M4? An engine which is just a very, very slightly fettled version of the M135i/235i engine and basically the same engine that was in a 2010 335i? The M2 is just a product of a BMW parts bin.

Now, I know there has to be cost cutting and I'm all for efficiencies where there is no hit, but I can't help but think that now BMW have introduced all of these new models that no one even asked for (I mean, who hasn't been waiting for the new 2 Series Grand and Active Tourer, or the X4 or the 3 series Grand Tourer?!), they're doing a VW and just sharing all of the parts - and that's one of the things that have always put me off VW's. You can buy about 15 different cars, all built on the same chassis and using the exact same parts.

To me, what you're left with is a car with little identity - which I guess is fine for all of the other models, but half of what makes the ///M cars special is that they are slightly bespoke. They have an engine ONLY featured in M models and most of the parts are specific to that model. I really don't like the "Let's see what's in the parts bin today!" way of doing things.

Obviously these "problems" are all in my head, and the end product is a car that is meant to be utterly fantastic to drive, but I just can't shake the feeling that it isn't as "special" as the other ///M cars or previous models.

The 1M was a parts bin special as well though,
That's kind of what made it special.

Plus look at the values on that thing.

Soldato
The 1M was a parts bin special as well though,
That's kind of what made it special.

Plus look at the values on that thing.

Yeah it was, but the reasoning behind this was completely sound and I would have done the same thing. They were only going to build it in small numbers and didn't expect it to sell as well as it did. It was almost like a test into that part of the market - afterall, why would you spend £millions on developing a model which may completely flop? When it sold very well, that should have given BMW the confidence that they needed to build a BMW M2 with the same kind of attention to detail and bespoke...ness(?) they do with the other models.

Man of Honour
At the BMW dealer at the moment while they check if my car needs some warranty work, and there's a blue M2 in the showroom. Looks excellent!

Back
Top Bottom