Starting swimming, any advice?

Soldato
I foolishly decided to go for a wetsuit swim at my local outdoor lido last night.

The water temp was 10-12C apparently, which is far too cold to be enjoyable even in a wetsuit! I gave up after 350m when it felt like I was getting hypothermia.:o

I'm in the harbour next Sunday to mark the start of our open water season. It's likely 10 degrees up here too, though we don't wear wetsuits :eek:

Soldato
I'm in the harbour next Sunday to mark the start of our open water season. It's likely 10 degrees up here too, though we don't wear wetsuits :eek:

How?!

I was shivering so hard it was messing up my breathing and my muscles didn't feel like working properly. The warmth generated from actually swimming was not enough even with a swim suit under my wetsuit and two swim caps on. Maybe if I had neoprene cap, gloves and socks it might have been slightly more bearable!

I guess my low BF and large surface area to volume makes retaining heat difficult.:p

Soldato
So I went twice last week and went yesterday.

I'm actually.... Enjoying it! No one knows who I am there, no one I know goes there and I have the space to do the rehab work I need to do and I am building up my fitness with some lengths. The hot tub they have is also very nice as well.

What can I say? I'm glad I read this thread and that it motivated me to start swimming.

I upgraded my gear with some goggles and flip flops which definitely make a nice difference.

The only downside is that I think I've got swimmer's ear :(

Think I had better look into ear plugs or something similar. Anyone got any tips?

Man of Honour
Hey Voltar

I suffer and always have from ear infections / swimmers ear.

I got some plugs from the jungle (macks ear plugs)... had first set for a good 5 months, still fine, no infections. I lick them before putting in (yeah sound gross), but that helps them go in, and I believe the saliva has antibacterial properties (my own theory)

Another motivation, get a Garmin Swim Watch... no more counting lengths, and you can looks at your stats daily to see your improvements. (trying to get under 2min per 100m average...best is 2:05 at moment)

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1123076373

I'm still aiming for 100 lengths min per day 5 days a week... (except when dam pool closes or I get ill), with my current weight that's 800 * 5 cals burnt a week :)

You soon get to know the regulars at your pool though.. there is 3 of us at our pool there at 06:30 every morning. We have a healthy competition... and the chat in the queue waiting to get in keeps us competitive (arguing over who is going to tow the others along)... tons of fun!!!

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey Voltar

I suffer and always have from ear infections / swimmers ear.

I got some plugs from the jungle (macks ear plugs)... had first set for a good 5 months, still fine, no infections. I lick them before putting in (yeah sound gross), but that helps them go in, and I believe the saliva has antibacterial properties (my own theory)

Another motivation, get a Garmin Swim Watch... no more counting lengths, and you can looks at your stats daily to see your improvements. (trying to get under 2min per 100m average...best is 2:05 at moment)

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1123076373

I'm still aiming for 100 lengths min per day 5 days a week... (except when dam pool closes or I get ill), with my current weight that's 800 * 5 cals burnt a week :)

You soon get to know the regulars at your pool though.. there is 3 of us at our pool there at 06:30 every morning. We have a healthy competition... and the chat in the queue waiting to get in keeps us competitive (arguing over who is going to tow the others along)... tons of fun!!!

Cool thanks. Do you use the silicon putty plugs? I'm fed up of earache already so will invest.

I put my goggles in the tumble dryer so they're not in the best shape sadly... Oh well.

Good stuff doing so many lengths and going every day! I'm just gonna keep on twice per week for now and I'm happy with that :)

Man of Honour
Didn't realize they do some many different types... these are the ones I got. I removed the silly cord thing though (just pull it out).

amk-013_1z.jpg

Maybe look into some Aquasphere goggles... they seem to be the best, though mine still have to be emptied of water twice during swim, must have weird shaped face :)

Caporegime
hi.any tips on swimming front crawl faster without using too much energy?

i see a few old aged men swimming so casually yet going pretty fast.?

I wish i knew, but there are loads of videos on youtube. seems like there is rarely 1 or 2 major things that you need to watch out for but dozens of very small changes that together help.

Some thigns I have been trying:
  1. Look 90* down to the bottom of pool, I was looking more like 45*
  2. Have hands enter thumb down instead of flat
  3. flutter you kicks at higher speed to maintain hip height
  4. don't raise your head when breathing, rotating it so you mouth come just above water line, you should be looking to side and not up at all.
  5. fingers open and relaxed, not a closed cup-shape
  6. Elbows high when entering the water, and throughout the stroke

But TBH, I haven't seen big changes. I started swimming and soon got up to 90 lengths in 1Hr 11 minutes. After a few months that came down to about 1H5, mostly by doing more frontcrawl and less breaststroke and shorter breaks. I was determined to get under 1HR so did a ton of research and tried practicing the above tips. A few months later I broke 1HR just, but then like today I was back at 1Hr 3 minutes. However, I kind of feel I'm swimming better even if I'm not any faster.

Caporegime
I have a question about the front crawl arm stroke, the "catch". I have just been swimming with a fairly smooth consistent pull from front too back. I saw a video that confused me talking about the catch, and showed that the first part of the stroke is mostly just rotating you forearm at the elbow so it points directly under you. At that point you can develop all you power and push hard.

I didn't really get it but then the last few times in the pool as I got tired I would occasionally notice that at the position with my hands under me I could kind of catch the water and push it backwards.It seemed to develop more power. But whenever I tried to work on it I could no longer do the same movement.

Is there really something specific I should be doing with my arm here? Should I be trying to maximize that feeling of catching water, or just ignore it and go for a smooth consistent stroke?

Caporegime
This is a known cause of shoulder impingement injuries, your hand should be flat as it enters the water according to swimsmooth: http://www.swimsmooth.com/injury.php

Interesting, i think there is some conflicting information out there. i specifically started rotating my hand more to avoid shoulder injuries.:confused:

I guess that is the downside of the internet, lots of people posting videos with different techniques and opinions.

Since it seems a contested issues i'll just go with what is natural, hand flat seems easier.

Associate
I've also read that thumb first is a 'bad thing', as is hands crossing-over the center line at entry to the water. Another reference I've found is http://www.nismat.org/patients/injury-prevention/training-tips/swimmer-s-shoulder. My shoulders have been complaining a bit for the last few months so I've backed off the swimming, so this is something of personal interest :(

Usual disclaimer applies regarding me possibly not knowing what I'm talking about here, but the 'catch' is about getting ready for the pull. I think the theory is that if you too much power during the catch you'll be pushing down on the water, lifting your front half up, making your legs sink and the extra drag is counterproductive.

Soldato
I wish i knew, but there are loads of videos on youtube. seems like there is rarely 1 or 2 major things that you need to watch out for but dozens of very small changes that together help.

Some thigns I have been trying:
  1. Look 90* down to the bottom of pool, I was looking more like 45*
  2. Have hands enter thumb down instead of flat
  3. flutter you kicks at higher speed to maintain hip height
  4. don't raise your head when breathing, rotating it so you mouth come just above water line, you should be looking to side and not up at all.
  5. fingers open and relaxed, not a closed cup-shape
  6. Elbows high when entering the water, and throughout the stroke

But TBH, I haven't seen big changes. I started swimming and soon got up to 90 lengths in 1Hr 11 minutes. After a few months that came down to about 1H5, mostly by doing more frontcrawl and less breaststroke and shorter breaks. I was determined to get under 1HR so did a ton of research and tried practicing the above tips. A few months later I broke 1HR just, but then like today I was back at 1Hr 3 minutes. However, I kind of feel I'm swimming better even if I'm not any faster.

great tips. i tried these and i seem to be a tiny bit faster.

i need to time myself really.

Anyone recommend a good watch for swimming and timing yourself?

Caporegime
I recently got the Garmin swim but it seems very inaccurate, given random lengths all over the place. Might return it TBH.

Caporegime
I've also read that thumb first is a 'bad thing', as is hands crossing-over the center line at entry to the water. Another reference I've found is http://www.nismat.org/patients/injury-prevention/training-tips/swimmer-s-shoulder. My shoulders have been complaining a bit for the last few months so I've backed off the swimming, so this is something of personal interest :(

Usual disclaimer applies regarding me possibly not knowing what I'm talking about here, but the 'catch' is about getting ready for the pull. I think the theory is that if you too much power during the catch you'll be pushing down on the water, lifting your front half up, making your legs sink and the extra drag is counterproductive.

yeah, I did some more research and there is more of a consensus in not entering the water thumb first but still plenty of resources stating the opposite.

Similar, I read once that you should rotate your body so started doing that, then read that you should keep your body as flat as possible so started doing that. Now reading around there are more sources saying to rotate your body to reduce shoulder injury, increase power and lengthen the stroke.

Very confusing with all this conflicting advice out there.

Man of Honour
I recently got the Garmin swim but it seems very inaccurate, given random lengths all over the place. Might return it TBH.

Mine used to be until I tweaked my turn a little. So I grab on end wall with watch hand then turn round let go and give a big breaststroke kick (or kick off from wall)

It never misses a length now (you can tell from graphs)

Also if you get held up in traffic don't stop moving arm or it thinks you have reached end of length

Wonko has one also and it looks accurate also

Associate

Mine behaves pretty well TBH - better at counting than I am, anyway. It can get a bit confused and 'split' a length into two if you hit traffic and have to stop or change stroke mid-length, but it's fairly easy to see what's happened on the graphs.
On the garmin forum I've seen a few posts suggesting it needs a decent push and glide off the wall to properly detect a new length - it might be worth experimenting a bit before giving up?

yeah, I did some more research and there is more of a consensus in not entering the water thumb first but still plenty of resources stating the opposite.

Similar, I read once that you should rotate your body so started doing that, then read that you should keep your body as flat as possible so started doing that. Now reading around there are more sources saying to rotate your body to reduce shoulder injury, increase power and lengthen the stroke.

Very confusing with all this conflicting advice out there.

Doesn't swimming 'flat' result in your arm and shoulder being rotated in the same direction as going in thumb first...? In other words if your hand entering thumb first is bad, then swimming flat as well would be worse.

Apart from which I don't think it would be comfortable turning my neck further to breathe if my shoulders weren't rotating :).

Soldato
Not posted in here for a while but had an interesting couple of months.

I had a kidney/bladder infection which caused havoc with training and stopped me swimming for a little while. I think I needed the rest anyway, something like 3 weeks without a swim. Started swimming again after joining Derby Triathlon Club as I figured I needed some coaching and drills to help build swimming fitness and technique in the right way.

I've learned quite a bit in the weeks since joining including bilateral breathing, proper kick technique and catch and pull. It's all very much work in progress and it feels harder now than it ever has done, it sort of feels like I'm starting all over again, but I know that ultimately I will benefit.

On top of the coaching sessions I've started swimming locally more regularly again. Not long swims, shorter swims to focus on technique and I feel there is progress, albeit slow. Using a pull buoy quite a bit has helped me a lot though I am having to wean myself off it :D

The Tri Club's open water swim sessions start in a few weeks which I'm dreading and looking forward to in equal measure. I've been getting used to getting in and out of my wetsuit in the house and yesterday went to look at the place the open water swim sessions take place. It didn't make me feel any less anxious! :p

Barton Marina
DSC_0270.JPG

Caporegime
Flukster & Wonko: Yeah, i probably don't have a consistent enough strong push off form the side for it to work well. I used to grab on to the side for a few seconds to get a big breath. i'm much better now and do try to swim continuously but sometimes if I arrive slightly out of sync I faff around a few seconds before pushing off. I also don't push off too hard because occasionally I end up with bad cramps if I do, plus i am really wanting to improve at open water swimming and kind of see a strong push off as cheating myself.

It wouldn't be an issue if it was just occasionally wrong but I have used it 8 or 9 times now and not one session has it recorded the correct length count.

What is also annoying is on garmin connect i can't seem to correct the length count or distance, I always get this error "Your xxxx value is not within permissible limits." I sometimes have to correct my gamin 610 running watch as it tends to under read and it dead simple to correct it (based on using a map). This keeps all the totals and paces in check so I can look for patterns and improvements. With the garmin swim i have wildly varying length counts which makes it really hard to compare. At the moment its just an expensive stop watch sadly.

anyway, had my fastest swim ever, 90x25=2250yd in 59:20 including all breaks. Kind of pathetic really but I did hit my goal of soundly break 1hr for 90 lengths. I think I might need to start working on some drills and forget about just regular swimming for a while.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1131179498

Back
Top Bottom