NFL Draft 2016

Soldato
Less than 20 days to go now until the draft so I thought I would get the ball rolling and see who else is excited.
So guys who do you want your team to draft? Do you want your front office to pull off any trades? Who will be a bust?

Fanspeak has a draft simulator which is quite fun if you fancy trying.

I want the Cowboys to address their defence in a big way.
Ideally I would want-
Round 1 pick 4 Joey Bosa DE
Round 2 pick 34 William Jackson III CB
Round 3 Austin Johnson DT
Round 4 CJ Prosize RB
Round 4 Cardale Jones QB
Round 6 Tyler Matakevich ILB and two special Teamers

If Ramsey or Bosa aren't available I would trade back to take either Hargreaves or one of the two DEs out of Clemson.

In an ideal world we will address the secondary and add to our D-line with either interior pass rushers (yes we have Crawford and Thornton but I'm thinking they aren't particularly great) or an end.

I wouldn't say no to a trade down to take Elliott as well. I think if we pick up some more picks in the second round pulling the trigger on Michael Thomas or Connor Cook wouldn't be such a bad shout.

I doubt Jones will drop to the 5th but hope we sign him up as a developmental prospect.

Derrick Henry and the top two QB prospects reek of draft busts to me... I also wouldn't sign Jack due to his knee, whatever the prognosis. We took Lee and sure he's amazing when fit but too much time off for my liking.

So folks what are you hoping your teams do/don't do in the draft?

Last edited:
Soldato
well the rams need a fair few things , and we're not likely to get most of them :(, far too low in the list to get anyone of quality for a positon, and overall what is available isn't worth trying to trade for.

fisher has give keenum the go ahead, and foles is due money so we're stuck with them, we drafted mannion in the 3rd round last year so really hope we don't have a qb on the list.

first round i'd like to see us take a decent wr, again the pool this year is a bit meh from what i've seen , i'm favouring treadwell over coleman so we have something different to go with austin at wr.

unless they have something going on behind the scenes, seen mention of them talking to Donte Whitner, we need to do something about the secondary due to us losing ours to free agency, so 2nd/3rd round i'll take the best of whats left, depending of whats there compared to the offensive line, which we need to improve to keep the qb's we have at least half a chance.

and after the way a couple of games went last season a decent kicker would be nice :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
well the rams need a fair few things , and we're not likely to get most of them :(, far too low in the list to get anyone of quality for a positon, and overall what is available isn't worth trying to trade for.

fisher has give keenum the go ahead, and foles is due money so we're stuck with them, we drafted mannion in the 3rd round last year so really hope we don't have a qb on the list.

first round i'd like to see us take a decent wr, again the pool this year is a bit meh from what i've seen , i'm favouring treadwell over coleman so we have something different to go with austin at wr.

unless they have something going on behind the scenes, seen mention of them talking to Donte Whitner, we need to do something about the secondary due to us losing ours to free agency, so 2nd/3rd round i'll take the best of whats left, depending of whats there compared to the offensive line, which we need to improve to keep the qb's we have at least half a chance.

and after the way a couple of games went last season a decent kicker would be nice :D

If I were drafting for the Rams I would take Laquon Treadwell in the 1st round and then target someone like Miles Killebrew at Safety or if you're lucky and he drops to your spot in the 2nd Artie Burns would be good at Corner for you lot.

However I have a feeling that Fisher will try to trade and you'll end up ignoring WR yet again and Tavon won't get it done in my view. I reckon the Rams will end up taking a QB in the first round which would be a bit :( unless the Rams can manage to grab Thomas in the second in which case it'd not be so bad.

I think for Treadwell you may have to move up which would be sad as the WR crop this year aren't brilliant. I like the look of Thomas at WR however and think if you can get him by trading down in the first or up in the second he'd be a strong pick.

You glad to be rid of Bradford? I think I would want to see you try to get a franchise QB and WR in the next two years. Sadly due to crappy QBs I think you'll end up wasting Gurley's talent as he will get too many knocks (the O-line should be so much better at the Rams but struggles).

I have a feeling that there will be quite a few trades this year...

Soldato
After my Team (Oakland) wasted their last top pick on JaMarcus Russell a few years back I'm not confident they will pick well anymore. Another Tim Brown style pick would be nice, but its not going to happen with Reggie as GM.

Soldato
If I were drafting for the Rams I would take Laquon Treadwell in the 1st round and then target someone like Miles Killebrew at Safety or if you're lucky and he drops to your spot in the 2nd Artie Burns would be good at Corner for you lot.

However I have a feeling that Fisher will try to trade and you'll end up ignoring WR yet again and Tavon won't get it done in my view. I reckon the Rams will end up taking a QB in the first round which would be a bit :( unless the Rams can manage to grab Thomas in the second in which case it'd not be so bad.

I think for Treadwell you may have to move up which would be sad as the WR crop this year aren't brilliant. I like the look of Thomas at WR however and think if you can get him by trading down in the first or up in the second he'd be a strong pick.

You glad to be rid of Bradford? I think I would want to see you try to get a franchise QB and WR in the next two years. Sadly due to crappy QBs I think you'll end up wasting Gurley's talent as he will get too many knocks (the O-line should be so much better at the Rams but struggles).

I have a feeling that there will be quite a few trades this year...

yeah from what i've seen treadwell is the best of a poorish bunch, and i think we're lucky that the teams above seem to have more important concerns than a wr.

against other teams not really looking at wr's a fair few seem to have their eyes on the secondary, still not quite sure how we got into the state we have with this, not like coming into it there was a real group of talent that we'd be able to go with :confused:

i don't see much chance, due to our position and the talent around that anyone will want to trade up with us, but stranger things have been known to happen.

if we do miss out on treadwell, i'd be ok with us going for a safety/cb as i think theres more talent there than wr.

we've got 2 mid table'ish 2nd round picks so we need the secondary sorted, and if we miss on a decent wr we need to toughen up the offensive line.

qb wise we'll just suck it up and have make do, because i think we have more important issues versus talent available.

yeah, unfortunately bradford just didn't improve enough for me over the few seasons he was with us, mind you i had hopes for foles and we all saw out that turned out.

out of all of this unless fisher pulls something out of thin air trade wise i think this could be his last season, he's lucky with the move happening when it did and maybe the front office wanting to keep him for continuity during it or he should be gone.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
After my Team (Oakland) wasted their last top pick on JaMarcus Russell a few years back I'm not confident they will pick well anymore. Another Tim Brown style pick would be nice, but its not going to happen with Reggie as GM.

JaMarcus was ages ago! Oakland have been on the money lately with their drafting to be fair to them (Mack, Cooper and Carr spring to mind).

It's quite hard to call what Oakland will do with their pick to be honest and I've got no idea what they will go for. Secondary springs to mind given the retirement you had and the void to fill there.

Soldato
OP
yeah from what i've seen treadwell is the best of a poorish bunch, and i think we're lucky that the teams above seem to have more important concerns than a wr.

against other teams not really looking at wr's a fair few seem to have their eyes on the secondary, still not quite sure how we got into the state we have with this, not like coming into it there was a real group of talent that we'd be able to go with :confused:

i don't see much chance, due to our position and the talent around that anyone will want to trade up with us, but stranger things have been known to happen.

if we do miss out on treadwell, i'd be ok with us going for a safety/cb as i think theres more talent there than wr.

we've got 2 mid table'ish 2nd round picks so we need the secondary sorted, and if we miss on a decent wr we need to toughen up the offensive line.

qb wise we'll just suck it up and have make do, because i think we have more important issues versus talent available.

yeah, unfortunately bradford just didn't improve enough for me over the few seasons he was with us, mind you i had hopes for foles and we all saw out that turned out.

out of all of this unless fisher pulls something out of thin air trade wise i think this could be his last season, he's lucky with the move happening when it did and maybe the front office wanting to keep him for continuity during it or he should be gone.

The Giants may well address wr at 10.

Those two high second rounders are going to be very intriguing as they can both translate into instant starters or form a package to trade up and grab another "premier" talent.
If Fisher whiffs on this draft he should be fired (how he is still there I do no know but that's a whole different story). He has some pieces to build on and can and should bring in at least three quality starters. He can quite easily address WR and secondary there. I still think there's a chance you take a QB either by trade up or by trading those second rounders to go back into the 1st round.

Associate
I want the Cowboys to address their defence in a big way.
Ideally I would want-
Round 1 pick 4 Joey Bosa DE
Round 2 pick 34 William Jackson III CB
Round 3 Austin Johnson DT
Round 4 CJ Prosize RB
Round 4 Cardale Jones QB
Round 6 Tyler Matakevich ILB and two special Teamers

Jackson might not be there at 34 as the Steelers need an outside CB (at 25) and I reckon this might actually be the year that the Steelers draft one in the 1st round :eek:

The 2 obvious picks for the Steelers are either Eli Apple or William Jackson III, and I would probably be ok with either. The only other CB with a mid to late 1st round grade is Mackenzie Alexander but he isn't really tall enough to play outside (5'10").

Other early rounders the Steelers also need (as starters or potential starters):
SS - to replace Polamalu (we had Will Allen there last season but he's 33 and not starter material.
NT/DE - we need a nose tackle to replace Steve McLendon who joined the jets. But we also need depth at DE so I think we'll sign a NT/DE hybrid rather than a pure NT (especially as the NT gets pulled in the nickel).
LT - to replace Kelvin Beachum who joined the Jags

For later rounds just depth signings:
More cornerbacks!!

We could also do with signing a replacement for Jarvis Jones as he hasn't really worked out (and James Harrison is 38), but we've spent so many high draft picks on linebackers in recent years I don't think it will happen.

Soldato
The Giants may well address wr at 10.

Those two high second rounders are going to be very intriguing as they can both translate into instant starters or form a package to trade up and grab another "premier" talent.
If Fisher whiffs on this draft he should be fired (how he is still there I do no know but that's a whole different story). He has some pieces to build on and can and should bring in at least three quality starters. He can quite easily address WR and secondary there. I still think there's a chance you take a QB either by trade up or by trading those second rounders to go back into the 1st round.

yeah possibly, our issue has been complicated by losing 2 secondary's that have been solid for us for a few seasons, not missed many games and to lose both of them is just nuts as far as i'm concerned.

our defence is pretty solid so they weren't troubled to much, and i think if we'd have kept them our draft could have gone a fair bit better.

no idea how fisher is still there, as i mentioned because of the move MAYBE the front office kept him for a bit of stability, but that is really stretching it, draft wise things haven't gone to bad but the way we play sometimes i have to put that at fishers door.

i don't think there's the talent around to use to much on trades, if we miss out on a wr first round then cb/s for that slot and one of the 2nd rounds might be ok.

if we don't come out of this with a decent wr then we are going to struggle again.

Soldato
OP
Jackson might not be there at 34 as the Steelers need an outside CB (at 25) and I reckon this might actually be the year that the Steelers draft one in the 1st round :eek:

The 2 obvious picks for the Steelers are either Eli Apple or William Jackson III, and I would probably be ok with either. The only other CB with a mid to late 1st round grade is Mackenzie Alexander but he isn't really tall enough to play outside (5'10").

Other early rounders the Steelers also need (as starters or potential starters):
SS - to replace Polamalu (we had Will Allen there last season but he's 33 and not starter material.
NT/DE - we need a nose tackle to replace Steve McLendon who joined the jets. But we also need depth at DE so I think we'll sign a NT/DE hybrid rather than a pure NT (especially as the NT gets pulled in the nickel).
LT - to replace Kelvin Beachum who joined the Jags

For later rounds just depth signings:
More cornerbacks!!

We could also do with signing a replacement for Jarvis Jones as he hasn't really worked out (and James Harrison is 38), but we've spent so many high draft picks on linebackers in recent years I don't think it will happen.

I had Steelers taking Apple in the 1st. Although I get the feeling that Apple may be long gone before then. I also agree Jackson III will most likely be gone before the 2nd round but there's always hope :p

What would you think if the Steelers took someone like Reggie Ragland?

yeah possibly, our issue has been complicated by losing 2 secondary's that have been solid for us for a few seasons, not missed many games and to lose both of them is just nuts as far as i'm concerned.

our defence is pretty solid so they weren't troubled to much, and i think if we'd have kept them our draft could have gone a fair bit better.

no idea how fisher is still there, as i mentioned because of the move MAYBE the front office kept him for a bit of stability, but that is really stretching it, draft wise things haven't gone to bad but the way we play sometimes i have to put that at fishers door.

i don't think there's the talent around to use to much on trades, if we miss out on a wr first round then cb/s for that slot and one of the 2nd rounds might be ok.

if we don't come out of this with a decent wr then we are going to struggle again.

The Rams need to sort their remaining skill positions out ASAP. The upshot is that you may well be able to nab two solid secondary prospects with your second round picks, although I feel that there will be a real run on those prospects in the first and top of the 2nd. It will mean that a lot of the solid DT prospects will be available come the 3rd and 4th round which will be nice.

I'm really curious to see what will happen now!!

Do you lot think 4 QBs will go in the 1st?
Or more than 1 RB?

Will there be a TE drafted before the 3rd?

Associate
What would you think if the Steelers took someone like Reggie Ragland?

My mind would expolde! :D

Seriously though we do actually need to draft an ILB as Sean Spence left, but only as a later depth pick. We already have 2 1st round picks at ILB with Shazier and Timmons.

Timmons is 29 now and declined a bit last season and is also in the final year of his contract, but even so I think it would be a waste of a pick. Having said that Steelers do make a big deal out of drafting the best player available rather than position of need, so if Ragland was the highest player on their draft board - stranger things have happend.

Or more than 1 RB?

I think Wentz, Goff and Lynch will all go 1st round, though I'm not particularly excited by any of them. Put money on the Browns destroying the career of whichever one they draft (kudos to Manziel for destroying himself before the Browns could).

I suppose it's possible that if the first 3 go early and the Broncos are desperate for a QB (they don't sign Kap from the 49'ers) then they might be tempted to draft the 4th QB but who that would be I don't know.

I agree only 1 RB will go in the 1st, people seem to be downgrading Derrick Henry.

As for TE, I think Hunter Henry will go early 2nd. He was quite heavily linked with the Steelers before we sign Green from the Chargers.

Soldato
I've got my days off to watch this. Bears made some decent pickups at ILB in free agency with Danny Trevathan and Jerrell Freeman so I think the bright Idea would be Get a solid DLineman.

Then pick up a guard or tackle perhaps and maybe take a punt on a young QB. Then perhaps sure up the secondary with a CB.

Kevin White should be back this year, so hopefully a WR shouldn't be needed and although Forte has gone, Carey and Langford looked good, so hopefully covered there also.

Soldato
OP
My mind would expolde! :D

Seriously though we do actually need to draft an ILB as Sean Spence left, but only as a later depth pick. We already have 2 1st round picks at ILB with Shazier and Timmons.

Timmons is 29 now and declined a bit last season and is also in the final year of his contract, but even so I think it would be a waste of a pick. Having said that Steelers do make a big deal out of drafting the best player available rather than position of need, so if Ragland was the highest player on their draft board - stranger things have happend.

I think Wentz, Goff and Lynch will all go 1st round, though I'm not particularly excited by any of them. Put money on the Browns destroying the career of whichever one they draft (kudos to Manziel for destroying himself before the Browns could).

I suppose it's possible that if the first 3 go early and the Broncos are desperate for a QB (they don't sign Kap from the 49'ers) then they might be tempted to draft the 4th QB but who that would be I don't know.

I agree only 1 RB will go in the 1st, people seem to be downgrading Derrick Henry.

As for TE, I think Hunter Henry will go early 2nd. He was quite heavily linked with the Steelers before we sign Green from the Chargers.

That Green signing was very good in my view. I would have been delighted with that...

I think taking Ragland wouldn't be dreadful if he actually drops that far given Timmons' contract is up. I am a bit unsure about the downgrading of Alexander as I think he's a solid pick for a CB. I'd say if Apple isn't there I would be a happy camper with Alexander. But that's just me (and our secondary is dreadful so that influences me). Are there any prospects out there you like the look of for your first few picks?

Where've you got those two big boys from Alabama going? Robinson and Reed are two guys I really like but for some reason draftniks have gone cold on them.

In respect of QBs I think we will see Connor Cook going to the Broncos, which if I were a Broncos fan I'd be fairly happy with.

What I really hope is that the Cowboys don't draft Dak Prescott. He's cack and overhyped. I watched him playing a few times and I wanted my time back. I really think we'd be shooting ourselves in the foot by taking a QB in the first two rounds (unless perhaps Cook is there still at 34).
Also everyone's banging on about us taking a future QB but they aren't talking about Eli's future or Brees's future or Phil Rivers's future or old man Palmer's future. What about Luck's backup? Things do get a little irritating with Cowboys related media.

Soldato
The Rams need to sort their remaining skill positions out ASAP. The upshot is that you may well be able to nab two solid secondary prospects with your second round picks, although I feel that there will be a real run on those prospects in the first and top of the 2nd. It will mean that a lot of the solid DT prospects will be available come the 3rd and 4th round which will be nice.

I'm really curious to see what will happen now!!

Or more than 1 RB?

yeah we do, although i'd prefer us to get a wr first round, we have 15th and 2 earlyish 2nd round picks so i'm hoping that any which way they want to do it we get a wr then cover the secondary.

i think the qb side of things will depend on how early wentz/goff/paxton go and what decisions the likes of the eagles/49'ers make.

can't see more than 1 rb going as i don't think there is enough there.

TE's i can see Henry going 2nd round but outside of that i haven't seen much else.

Soldato
OP
I've got my days off to watch this. Bears made some decent pickups at ILB in free agency with Danny Trevathan and Jerrell Freeman so I think the bright Idea would be Get a solid DLineman.

Then pick up a guard or tackle perhaps and maybe take a punt on a young QB. Then perhaps sure up the secondary with a CB.

Kevin White should be back this year, so hopefully a WR shouldn't be needed and although Forte has gone, Carey and Langford looked good, so hopefully covered there also.

I was impressed with the Goldman pickup last year by you lot.. He was a guy I rated really highly and had hoped we would take. I reckon I would be looking at someone like Leonard Floyd or A'Shawn Robinson to help. You might even want to go for Ronnie Stanley (although I think he will be gone before 11th pick) or potentially trade down and grab Conklin.

Associate
That Green signing was very good in my view. I would have been delighted with that...

Yeah I'm very happy with Green, seems much more mobile than Heath Miller was in the last few years, which should help up the middle.

Are there any prospects out there you like the look of for your first few picks?

I've only really looked at the 1st 3 rounds as I'd get brain overload trying to figure out all 7.

I like Keanu Neal (Florida) in the 2nd round at safety, looks like he wants to hit everything that moves.

3rd round I'd go NT and either Austin Johnson (Penn State) or Kenny Clark (UCLA) if he drops that far. Though the lack of college team playing 3-4 schemes makes this pick awkward.

Where've you got those two big boys from Alabama going? Robinson and Reed are two guys I really like but for some reason draftniks have gone cold on them.

I think they'll both go 1st round (probably 2nd half of the 1st round). I think because there are so many defensive linemen this year that they are getting drowned out by numbers. But as it gets closer to the draft they will rise back up as teams will play it safe and go with the known quantity. i.e. Alabama had a great record last year (as usual) and they usually make the switch to the NFL quickly.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I'm very happy with Green, seems much more mobile than Heath Miller was in the last few years, which should help up the middle.

I've only really looked at the 1st 3 rounds as I'd get brain overload trying to figure out all 7.

I like Keanu Neal (Florida) in the 2nd round at safety, looks like he wants to hit everything that moves.

3rd round I'd go NT and either Austin Johnson (Penn State) or Kenny Clark (UCLA) if he drops that far. Though the lack of college team playing 3-4 schemes makes this pick awkward.

I think they'll both go 1st round (probably 2nd half of the 1st round). I think because there are so many defensive linemen this year that they are getting drowned out by numbers. But as it gets closer to the draft they will rise back up as teams will play it safe and go with the known quantity. i.e. Alabama had a great record last year (as usual) and they usually make the switch to the NFL quickly.

Neal at S looks good and I think Johnson and Clark are great value in the third and will last that long too which is great.

I'm very excited for the draft to put us out of our misery.

Bet the Colts still manage to put together a draft that doesn't address any of their needs lol :p

Back
Top Bottom