Ever considered just packing up and moving elsewhere?

Soldato
I do almost every day. I would miss London but I'm tired of feeling like a skint person. I guess I'm just scared to do it in case I lose everything and now because I'd have to either convince my gf to go (which she wouldn't due to her job) or leave her behind which I wouldn't do.

Go for it OP! Try it for a bit and if it works then great. If not come home.

Soldato
If your gut tells you it's a good idea, then do it.

I've done it twice and currently the happiest I have ever been. Change is better than a holiday ;) Even if it doesn't work out, it will quickly highlight the things that are important to you, and that, is an incredibly valuable lesson in life.

Caporegime
Yes, do it. Berlin is a great city, the locals will speak better English than you do (this is not a joke), and what's the worst that could happen?

you could be murdered by a drug cartel and your body hung on a pole as a warning to others

Go for it!

Associate
It's not really a risk is it? I mean, with European healthcare and welfare you won't be homeless nor left to die in an alley. Try going to Nigeria or Indonesia for an out of your comfort zone experience. If it doesn't kill you, or put you in prison for an extended period, it'll make you stronger.

Soldato
OP
I'm going to do it guys.

i'm going to study the language more at home to touch up (can already speak German relatively well) and no, no they can't talk English better than I can. I am aware they speak it very well though, very well indeed!

I have been unemployed for over 6 months now but only signed on the dole a couple of weeks ago. I'm going to wait until the first payment (cheeky I know but I've paid my fair share in TAX over the years), sell a few items and book a flight ticket.

I have had a look on airbnb and I can rent a room for £13 a night :)

I want to thank you all for your feedback, it's really appreciated.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey guys,

So with regards to myself, I'm considering Berlin.

I'm currently out of employment and love the city. I'm not in the best financial situation but would happily do some bar work over there providing they employ me.

I'm 26, single and speak German okay but would need to improve it for sure.

I'd book a one-way ticket, cheap accommodation and do my best with going into bars and trying my luck.

Stupid or worth the risk?

I did when I was younger (22 at the time). I lived in Holland for a year and in Germany for a couple of months then came home. I did agency work for a Dutch agency ran by an English and Dutch couple, working on flower bulb farms, lettuce farms and labouring on building sites. Had a great time although the work was quite hard going at times.

Its worth doing if only just to realise that Britain is a fantastic place and that the grass always seems greener but more often than not, it isn't, its just different which sometimes is enough to make you feel better about life.

Man of Honour
I'm going to do it guys.

i'm going to study the language more at home to touch up (can already speak German relatively well) and no, no they can't talk English better than I can. I am aware they speak it very well though, very well indeed!

I have been unemployed for over 6 months now but only signed on the dole a couple of weeks ago. I'm going to wait until the first payment (cheeky I know but I've paid my fair share in TAX over the years), sell a few items and book a flight ticket.

I have had a look on airbnb and I can rent a room for £13 a night :)

I want to thank you all for your feedback, it's really appreciated.

Good luck and keep us posted. :)

Man of Honour
Also, really, I wasn't joking with the language barrier - I'd probably move there with no German if that floated my boat. You can always pick it up there. It's not a case of rudeness, just the reality - people willingly speak English there everyday, so I understand! I'm aware this doesn't apply to elsewhere in Germany though.

jkb

jkb

Associate
I have a Spanish friend who did this. She just went to London with no accomodation, no job, nothing. She did a variety of jobs, ended up living in shared accomodation with 5 others and had a wild time. Stayed for two years then went back to Madrid. Sure it wasn't all roses but overall when she talks about it it makes me wish I had done something similar in my 20s.

Caporegime
Absolutely, I was head hunted for a role in Brisbane and was going down the route of a sponsored visa. House was on the market and I was making plans to jump ship.

Visa process was taking forever, got cold feet and I withdrew. Definitely a nagging feeling ever since that I made the wrong decision.

Not sure i'd do it without a job lined up, but good luck!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Spanner thrown in the works.

Just had a company ask me to come interview at the end of the month.

Big company, in London, decent pay.

Going to probably give this my all. If I get it, I'll save and re-asses when to move / If it's worth staying.

If I don't get it, I'll be off.

Back
Top Bottom