New build PC won't post

Associate
Ok so I have just installed a Asus Maximus VIII Extreme Assembly motherboard in my system and i can't get it to post at all. When the power button is pushed it powers for a few seconds the fans spin, the H100i CPU cooler lights up then it all switches off and then a few seconds later it comes on again and just keeps repeating this. It continues this cycle unless I push and hold the power button or switch off the power switch on the PSU.

I have tried everything I can think off but so far no luck. I have unplugged all devices accept one stick of RAM the CPU and PSU. I have checked all power connections. I flashed the BIOS to the latest version from the Asus website. I tried resetting the CMOS. I took out the battery to reset it. I changed the battery for a new one. I made sure no wiring is touching the board anywhere at the back. I checked the CPU socket for bent pins but there are none. I have re-seated the CPU several times. I changed all the risers and screws and checked there was nothing under the board causing a short. I bread-boarded the motherboard on a non conductive surface. None of it has worked.

To make sure I didn't have any component failures I put my old Gigabyte Z170 G1 Gaming board in. It posted immediately and I checked the RAM which was working and the CPU was running normally. The PSU had no problems running that Gigabyte motherboard. So I think its fair to say the CPU PSU and RAM are all working properly. That just leaves the motherboard. This is actually my second board as the first one I received last week had problems and I had to RMA it. The board I have now is a brand new replacement. It seems to me to be very unlikely that I got 2 faulty boards in a row so i think the board is probably not faulty but it is some other issue instead.

I am at a loss to fix this. I am wondering if the RAM is having compatibility issues (although its on the Asus approved list). I wonder if its worth buying a couple of sticks to try instead. The other thought is that my PSU (Antec 1300 HCP) is for some reason not compatible. Its not listed on the approved devices list for this motherboard but it seems strange to me that it will power the Gigabyte board no problem but the Asus board won't post at all. Still I am wondering if buying a new power supply would be worth trying but its a lot of money to spend.

Anyway if somebody out there has any ideas I would appreciate them.

Soldato
I flashed the BIOS to the latest version from the Asus website
Curious how you managed that if not posting at all?

I can also see the board has quite a number of switches, LEDs & jumpers. Are they all set correctly, etc?

IMO if you've tried all that & still having problems, returning the board would be the viable option rather than spending more money on PSU, etc especially considering its working ok with other mobo.

Associate
OP
The board has a bios flash function. I downloaded the bios on my laptop then put it on a usb stick then you pop it in the correct usb slot on the board and hit the bios flash button and it installs it without needing to boot up at all.

As it turns out I had a brainwave and remembered I had my old Antec 850 PSU in storage. I wired that one in and lo and behold it posted ok. I don't know if that means my Antec 1300 HCP is faulty or if it simply isnt compatible but it seems that was the problem. Unfortunately 850w is not enough as I have SLI GPU so I need at least 1000w so it looks like I will have to buy a new PSU after all. A massive pain but at least I did solve the problem.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom