Cracks in BMW Alloys

Soldato
So frustrating!
About a year ago I took my 2007 BMW 330i touring in for MOT and found that both rear wheels had cracked. Got them both welded and put back on.

6 months later one of them had cracked again, so replaced it with a refurbished, never repaired BMW MV3 alloy.

3 months later, take it in for MOT again today and find that not only has the previously repaired wheel cracked, but the new one has cracked again!

Now I'm looking at having to spend £400 each for some new wheels from BMW, or £200 for refurbished ones which might do the same again :mad:

Not a happy bunny!

Man of Honour
Stop putting BMW wheels back on? Complain to BMW as that doesn't seem right? Stop driving a warp speed over potholes and small children?

Soldato
OP
Stop putting BMW wheels back on? Complain to BMW as that doesn't seem right? Stop driving a warp speed over potholes and small children?

Well unless I want to replace the fronts as well and have a car with aftermarket alloys which will make it difficult to sell then I have no choice.
And I live in the countryside so potholes are unavoidable.

Man of Honour
This is an incredibly well known issue and was a major thing on watchdog about 5 years ago. The reality is that on a 9 year old car BMW will not be interested. Avoid 19 inch wheels and runflats seems to be the right approach.

With the extra sidewall compliance of a non rft the MV3 should be ok but they are cheap on eBay now anyway.

Soldato
So far only one of my MV3s has cracked and this was prior to me owning it. The style 225 and 313 are horrendous for it. I run funflats on mine and just avoid potholes. I'll be ditching them when they need replacing though.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Does it not warn you when you have a puncture? I'm not sure, never owned a BMW.

Tyre pressure monitoring is done via the wheel speed sensor. So if a wheel is letting out air it will not be rotating at the same speed as the others and the TPM system will flag it up as such.

Soldato
Tyre pressure monitoring is done via the wheel speed sensor. So if a wheel is letting out air it will not be rotating at the same speed as the others and the TPM system will flag it up as such.

You sure? The past 2 vehicles I've had with TMPS are on the inside of the valves within the wheel

Man of Honour
You sure? The past 2 vehicles I've had with TMPS are on the inside of the valves within the wheel

There are two systems, most BMW's with flat tyre monitoring simply do that - monitor for a flat tyre. They do this in conjunction with the wheel speed sensors and as a result do not give you tyre pressure information - simply an indication that the pressures are either 'ok' or 'not ok' in each wheel.

Some BMW's do have the more complex system that gives you an actual pressure reading but it's often an expensive option. When fitted, this system uses special valves, but his E90 3 Series will be fitted with the simpler system.

Stick to Toyota's ;)

(Come on, I couldn't resist that :D)

Back
Top Bottom