Diagnose fault

bbK

bbK

Associate
Hi

I was playing The Division last night when my PC just instantly shut off, no BSOD or anything just instantly boom, turned off. I tried turning it back on and the fans would spin up, but the PC would again shut off within 1 second.

So far I've tried:
re-seating the CPU
Different RAM/different slots/1stick/no ram (still turns off)
Using on board graphics

I fired up the pc with no CPU in it and it doesn't instantly shut off but I dont know if thats a good test or not....

Specs:
Intel Core i5-4690K
MSI Z97M
G.Skill TridentX 8GB
GTX 970

Any help appreciated.

Last edited:

bbK

bbK

Associate
OP
CPU would go to max 50 during a session of the Division.

Specs:
Intel Core i5-4690K
MSI Z97M
G.Skill TridentX 8GB
GTX 970

Associate
PSU is faulty. I had exactly the same problem with the same game, after a random amount of time it would reboot itself. Got myself a new PSU and it hasn't happened since.

Associate
Actually I have a Corsair CX 500w in this spare PC - would that be sufficient to use/test?

It'll probably be okay to test, but it's almost certainly the PSU. Had the same thing when I first got my GTX 970, new PSU fixed the issue and also fixed an old issue I had with overclocking.

bbK

bbK

Associate
OP
There wasn't actually a boom sound i just added that for effect.

I just connected the 24 pin and 8 pin power supply cables from this machines PSU to the faulty system and I'm getting the same thing, fans spin up and the system just shuts off.

Associate
There wasn't actually a boom sound i just added that for effect.

I just connected the 24 pin and 8 pin power supply cables from this machines PSU to the faulty system and I'm getting the same thing, fans spin up and the system just shuts off.

Did you remove the GPU as well? If not you'll definitely want to add some power to the GPU before it wrecks the MoBo

Soldato
As above, I once had a PSU fault where it could deliver low amounts of power (like the PSU test) but not much more (would switch off after 15-60 seconds).

Good luck, these problems are tricky.

Associate
either its the temps or psu

my.jpg

bbK

bbK

Associate
OP
Quick update

Tried the new motherboard - same thing fans spin but turns off after 1 sec

changed the h100i back to my h100 - same thing

Tried the 500w PSU thats in the machine im on right now and it did the same thing.

at this point im out of ideas.

Back
Top Bottom