*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
Just gone for the Sky Q Silver with one mini box and I'm a bit concerned about the wireless connection between the boxes!

Do we know for definite that there is an Ethernet port on the mini boxes to enable connection via my own powerline adapters?

Soldato
Just gone for the Sky Q Silver with one mini box and I'm a bit concerned about the wireless connection between the boxes!

Do we know for definite that there is an Ethernet port on the mini boxes to enable connection via my own powerline adapters?

They have their own powerline adapters built in don't they? I don't believe they're enabled yet though strangely!?

Soldato

They certainly show an Ethernet port on the back of the box, Give me a couple of hours or so and I'll confirm what works. Sky due between 10:30 and 12:30 today.

http://www.satbuyer.co.uk/sky-q-mini-p249.html

I managed to catch up on my saved programs yesterday. Which was tough going as I usually wait until I have at least 2 episodes saved as I hate 2 parters!

20160414_185103.jpg

Andi.

Soldato
A friend of mine says he's spoken to an engineer friend of his who works for Sky and he says that the WiFi connection is strictly between the main Q box and the mini - ie. NOT through your own WiFi!?!?

Does this sound right? I'd have thought you would have to run it through your own router!?!? (in my case a Netgear Nighthawk)

A friend of mine says he's spoken to an engineer friend of his who works for Sky and he says that the WiFi connection is strictly between the main Q box and the mini - ie. NOT through your own WiFi!?!?

Does this sound right? I'd have thought you would have to run it through your own router!?!? (in my case a Netgear Nighthawk)

Can confirm the Silver box links to your router and the silver box and mini have a private wifi connection.

Soldato
a new one on me has been happening today, every now an then my silver box is losing all spoken words the background music and sound are still there but all the spoken words are gone it's like watching the Channel on mute and the only way to fix it is to rewind and fast forward a few times. Has anyone else had this happen

Associate
Had it installed Wednesday. Silver plus 3 mini boxes. So far so good. Concerned about wifi connection between them all would be fine but all is good. Engineer took longer than he thought as this was only day two of non-sky broadband install. He said if there's an issue with wifi then just plug the Ethernet connections in instead.

Associate
I personally had a Silver box installed and 2 minis, I had to go mid way through install, but came back to a fully functional set up. I have him my SSID and he seems to have set it all up wirelessly (non-sky broadband customer). All the boxes I have have a cover on the ethernet port which tells you to go to sky.com/ethernet.

Got powerline adaptors all over the house for roku/android tv/Amazon tv plex usage so I can use that if I start to get problems but although i was concerned about the very back room its getting signal, is quick AND the picture looks better than it ever did on the 2TB box that was in there before. Ill see how that route goes for other people first. Ive no real need to both atm since its all working well.

Got the guy to install a new dish though as we had 4 sets of wires which can now be used for freesat if necessary. Installer was a good guy. Did me a set of cables from my wall plate in white, a set in black AND gave me some spare cable of each.

Little nitpick. Silver... More like chrome. Looks silver from a distance though.

BONUS: Looks like there is an easy open hatch on the bottom to replace the hdd too.

Question. Anyone else get an extra remote? Ive got the new one and the newer mini style remote for my silver box and 2 of the latter again, 1 for each mini box. Just wanted to know if that was standard or a fortunate mistake...

Last edited:
Caporegime
Had it installed Wednesday. Silver plus 3 mini boxes. So far so good. Concerned about wifi connection between them all would be fine but all is good. Engineer took longer than he thought as this was only day two of non-sky broadband install. He said if there's an issue with wifi then just plug the Ethernet connections in instead.

Word of warning. If you have three Mini boxes you can only view content on two of them (and your SkyQ Silver) at the same time.

With the Silver box you'll get a standard button one and a Touch Remote as standard.

Soldato
Can confirm the Silver box links to your router and the silver box and mini have a private wifi connection.

Got powerline adaptors all over the house for roku/android tv/Amazon tv plex usage so I can use that if I start to get problems...

Sorry if I'm being thick but how can you use powerline adaptors if the connection between the Silver and mini boxes is a "private" (WiFi) connection!?!?

My router is right next to where my main Silver box is going to sit so as far as connection to the internet for on demand stuff is concerned, I'd imagine it can be hard-wired via ethernet, no?

Trouble is then, if the WiFi connection between the boxes turns out to be less than perfect, how do you pipe that "private" connection (ie. outside your usual internet connection) through a homeplug/powerline adaptors?

Sorry if I'm being thick but how can you use powerline adaptors if the connection between the Silver and mini boxes is a "private" (WiFi) connection!?!?

My router is right next to where my main Silver box is going to sit so as far as connection to the internet for on demand stuff is concerned, I'd imagine it can be hard-wired via ethernet, no?

Trouble is then, if the WiFi connection between the boxes turns out to be less than perfect, how do you pipe that "private" connection (ie. outside your usual internet connection) through a homeplug/powerline adaptors?

My understanding from the installer is that a setting is available to choose the standard private wifi connection between silver and mini or to choose a wired connection between the two if the private wifi connection is poor. But, it seems the installers are reluctant to use the wired connections if private wifi is working, they'd rather spend 3 hours working on improving this private connection than simply connecting by wire.

Permabanned
Wow, just came into the thread as I thought Sky Q was still for Sky internet customers only. Pleasantly surprised to see all can have it. Just gone on the sky site and ordered it. Coming on Thursday :D

Sky Q silver
Sky Mini
£149

Man of Honour
OP
Wow, just came into the thread as I thought Sky Q was still for Sky internet customers only. Pleasantly surprised to see all can have it. Just gone on the sky site and ordered it. Coming on Thursday :D

Sky Q silver
Sky Mini
£149

That was quick! Can't have many takers in your area.

V F

V F

Soldato
Word of warning. If you have three Mini boxes you can only view content on two of them (and your SkyQ Silver) at the same time.

With the Silver box you'll get a standard button one and a Touch Remote as standard.

Hmm, Sky Q sounds like a downgrade if I was to go down that path. Not only would it be limited to 2GB for all boxes but then only being able to view on 2.

Back
Top Bottom