Man destroys his business with 1 line of code

Soldato
So it wasn't just his own business but others as well?

And is the story a hoax because the link in the OP says it is?
Or am I reading that like a 4 year old?

Don't know potentially could have destroyed others businesses. No idea who he was hosting.

I'd certainly hope it was a hoax.

Edit: Yeah actually looks like it was. Last time I looked they had taken the page down. Poor independent lol.

Last edited:
Associate
Probably a hoax but it did happen to Pixar during Toy Story 2 development where 90% of the films assets were lost by one person executing that command. They had bad backups and lost everything until one employee mentioned that they had a 2 week old version on a home computer. They managed to painfully restored most of it from that and developer workstations. Didn't matter in the end anyway as they scraped near all of it and started again.

Soldato
I've been tasked with fixing systems after this type of stupidity many times, and in most cases was able to recover all of the data.

The key thing is to power off the server as soon as possible (not shutdown) to prevent any new data from being written to the filesystem. Plug the drives into another system or use a live linux ISO and use a tool called extundelete. http://extundelete.sourceforge.net. You can also restore Logical Volumes with some trickery with /etc/lvm/archive etc.

If you are running an ext3/4 filesystem, doesnt mean all is lost.

Man of Honour
Unless you actually have experience with recovering files for a business like that it is probably best to kill power and bring in the professionals - known people messing about with undelete tools and no experience result in potentially recoverable data become largely too corrupted for much of it to be usefully salvaged :S

Don't know potentially could have destroyed others businesses. No idea who he was hosting.

I'd certainly hope it was a hoax.

Edit: Yeah actually looks like it was. Last time I looked they had taken the page down. Poor independent lol.

Seems to be a hoax in this case but it definitely has happened - as mentioned my old VPS provider did something very similar though most of their clients ditched them over the poor/lacking communication in the aftermath rather than the data loss itself destroying their business.

Last edited:
Associate
poor guy....

No. Not Poor Guy. Idiot, and I'm especially happy that his stupidity has caused him so much strife (if indeed this story is true) - anyone working with computers has it ingrained in them to always have backups of everything in a safe place to prevent just such an occurrence.

Trust me when I say I'm not the only one on this forum who believes that he got everything he deserved.

Lol so it was all marketing ploy to promote his company.

Would you use a guy that didn't back up his (and his clients) work?

Associate
We had a couple of mishaps with rm -rf and programmers with a few too many rights for their skill level.

They'd done an unzip without -j and wanted to get rid of the folders they created, except they put the leading / on the folder name so took the root folder rather than their sub folder.

Thankfully out backups are done at the SAN level so 100% isolated from the server and the programmer in question did this at about 9:30 so we only lost 6 hours of data from the last backup.

Since then aside from altering groups/permissions we also put an alias on rm to disable the use of rf.

Soldato
I friend of mine has a business creating/running websites for a huge number of clients, all those sites were hosted on 123, lets just saying he is slightly stressed at the moment.

I've a friend who does the same, but I think only registers the domains through 123, they are hosted elsewhere.

This probably (hopefully) won't affect him then

Back
Top Bottom