Gran Canary or Caribbean in May?

Soldato
I'm looking to get a holiday booked for my parents.

They want to get away into the sunshine for 7-10 days

possibly gran canary or the Caribbean (excluding cuba as they already been)

do you have any suggestions or tips?

Man of Honour
Well, depends on lots of things. How old are you folks, and why can't they book it themselves out of interest?

I think GC in May is beginning to get warm. It's probably warm enough. Caribbean is a long way to travel for a week, although I used to do it all the time before children came along.

Depends what they want to do, just sunshine or do they want some heritage?

Soldato
OP
they are about about 60 now

I normally find them a deal online they are not very competent with the web etc.

they love a bit of sunshine probably beach/relax and some occasional stuff to do during the day. I hold some concerns with gran canaria. not been there myself but is it not a place for younger people?

Soldato
My wife and I went here two years ago for our honeymoon (start May) and loved it. Great food, good AI drinks, nice rooms (sea views are lovely), infinity pool, good entertainments, close enough to the main resort center for a quick stroll, warm but not too hot, etc. Basically, my wife wants to go back every year.

Soldato
Only thing I hated on the Canary islands were the pushy sellers on the streets, trying to sell everything from jewellery to time-share. The AI hotels were great ~10 years ago.

Permabanned
Bermuda seems like a nice choice, I did a stop over on the way to the Bahamas and the islands and old colony that still shows it in it's roots. The Bahamas was also nice but the quirkiness of Bermuda might better suit the older gen.

Soldato
OP
yes Caribbean sounds better

I will check virgin holidays. I'd imagine 10 days is most desirable going there.

bermuda, bahamas mmmm but which one!?

Man of Honour
Isn't GC about the same climate all year round? Late 20s.

Possibly. Temperate all year round. I've been once, and I'm not sure I would want to go again, unless it was to a villa or a quiet area.

Caribbean definitely floats my boat. But a week is pushing it really. By the time you get there after a 9 hour flight + transfers, then dealing with the jet lag. It sort of loses its appeal somewhat.

Have they considered a nice med cruise?

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure they would like a cruise.

they get a bit tom and dick on the boats. I'm looking around for deals perhaps the Caribbean is the better option for them but for 10 nights.

Soldato
I bet they'd like Correlejo in Fuerteventura, it's quiet and has a nice beach. The weather in the Canaries in May should be low-mid 20's

Associate
Possibly. Temperate all year round. I've been once, and I'm not sure I would want to go again, unless it was to a villa or a quiet area.
Caribbean definitely floats my boat. But a week is pushing it really. By the time you get there after a 9 hour flight + transfers, then dealing with the jet lag. It sort of loses its appeal somewhat.
Have they considered a nice med cruise?
Having been to Puerto Rico in Gran Canaria (Biggest island) it is very nice, they're are some sellers for timeshares but they stop bugging you after you tell them to go away (It's like a group warning, they all get the message). As for the weather being the same all year round I can't comment as last year when I went it was sweltering and significantly hotter than may time (Not that it was cold in May :D)

Personally I liked it but I've also never been to the Caribbean but I also imagine that the Canary Islands will be cheaper than the Caribbean as well :)

Soldato
Slightly strange choices....one is a 4 hour flight to a fairly standard European island with freezing waters (20c in May!) the other is nearly ten hours to somewhere relatively exotic with better weather and 27-28c water....

Not even comparable to me! Like asking if you want to go to Greggs or a proper restaurant. I've been to the canarys a few times and never been blown away. Never been to to the Caribbean but imagine it to be more in line with the tropical islands in the east I have been to. On that note, have they considered going the other way? Parts of Thailand / Philippines have water temps around 30c in June and air temps into the 30s. I'm visiting Boracay again in June, so much better than the canarys I he to go again :)

Last edited:
Associate
I always like the Bahamas sorta charming and like sailing the inlets - rather safer than some of the Caribbean islands. Though places like Antigua English Harbour are breathtakingly very tempting - wonderful to sail into from the sea

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom