LCFS?

Soldato
At work we have a Pluralsight account and I want to try my hand at some Linux. I came across this certification: LCFS (Linux Foundation Certified System Administrator). Anyone here got one?

I was looking into starting the RHCSA first but then came across this, what's the difference? Are they the same thing but just have different governing bodies?

Associate
RHCSA is governed by Red Hat (much like Microsoft offers its own certificates.)

LCFS is via the Linux Foundation, a non profit organisation that advocates Linux among other things.

I'd imagine RHCSA will assume you are using Red Hat whereas the LCFS would be more vendor neutral, but I am assuming that.

Most people consider Red Hat certificates to be 'the standard' so I guess you'd have an easier time getting past HR with that. No one will look at the Red Hat certificate and think 'we don't use red hat' the distro differences can be figured out by any sysadmin tbh.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have done the RedHat RHCSA/RHCE and Linux Foundation LFCS/LFCE.

The Linux foundation certifications are quite similar to RedHat, based around working on a live VM so you need to know the material very well as you are not allowed any notes or use of the internet. Great thing is you can take the exam from home and with a proctor monitoring over webcam.

You need at least a couple of years experience working with Linux or time may be an issue, otherwise they are quite easy.

Soldato
Yeah for about 6 months, got a new job just before xmas. Prior to that my job was 100% windows, but I've been supporting Linux stuff on the side for about 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom