What is your overseas camera bag?

Caporegime
Thanks guys...

I'm seriously contemplating the Thule Covert DSLR Rolltop Backpack, from the reviews I've read it seems to have the biggest normal day items section at the top but, I don't think the 100-400 will fit in the camera section. The price looks right at £120 too.

D.P I've looked at F-Stops website and everything seems to be out of stock with really long lead times :(

yeah, F-Stop seem to always have stock issue. i waited 6 months to get mine,t hey are just so damn good there is really nothing else out on the market that comes close to the quality and features if you are actually serious about your outdoor activities.

Still surprised they haven't managed to ramp up production. When I called them a few years a go to get my bag they said that they make 3-4 batches a year and every time they order a new production run they double or triple the quantity but they just don't keep up with demand. Its also a kind of startup so they don't have a large amount of capital to order more at one time, they have to wait for the previous batches to sell in order to finance the next batches. But I'm surprised they haven't sorted this out with more investment.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
OP
yeah, F-Stop seem to always have stock issue. i waited 6 months to get mine,t hey are just so damn good there is really nothing else out on the market that comes close to the quality and features if you are actually serious about your outdoor activities.

Still surprised they haven't managed to ramp up production. When I called them a few years a go to get my bag they said that they make 3-4 batches a year and every time they order a new production run they double or triple the quantity but they just don't keep up with demand. Its also a kind of startup so they don't have a large amount of capital to order more at one time, they have to wait for the previous batches to sell in order to finance the next batches. But I'm surprised they haven't sorted this out with more investment.

Thanks D.P, not sure if you missed my post further up, but do you mind posting up a pic please and how much left over room is there?

Associate
If struggling to find F-stop gear have a look at what I assume is the same stock at Paramo (also a very good clothing company).

Personally, I like Wotancraft gear, great quality and bag I've had came with optional waterproof inserts.

And as for airlines, Easyjet allow you to take your carry on bag up to 56x45x25cm, plus, if you're in the posh seats, (for what, an extra tenner or so?) a small under seat bag 45x36x20cm.

BA (and probably at least non-USA carriers and I've flown a lot) are more generous I find and as long as the extra bag in addition to your carry on is holding a laptop or camera gear, don't seem to get too fussed unless the flight is rammed. Then it's more of a lottery.

Of course, if you fly business, then take pretty much what you want!

Soldato
Either :

RX100

Or

Billingham Hadley
Leica M6
Leica 50 Summilux
Sirui CF tripod
Big pile of Fuji Acros 100 and a few Velvias.
Couple of spare batteries for the meter although I can shoot pretty well without it now.

Soldato
I have two camera bags which one I take depends on the trip and if I need/want anything over 100mm! if I need the 70-210mm or a rented 100-400mm then I use my backpack if not I have a crumple shoulder bag

Soldato
I've had no problems so far (although I've only used it on two airlines.. Easyjet & UIA)

I did check before I bought it and it was below Ryanair, Easyjets etc.. cabin restrictions, just need to be wary of the weight as mine loaded is 11ish kg's

That's great, that one might be the one for me, especially as it has a laptop compartment. My Lowepro AW400 has served me very well over the last few years but the lack of a laptop space means it needs to step down.

I have nine lenses that I want to take on a trip with me in the Summer. I know I'm going to have to shave that number down one way or another!

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
OP
After reading a few reviews about the F-Stop Loka the original seems to be better over the Ultra Light version but, can't seem to get it anywhere.

Would you still recommend the Loka UL?

Soldato
After reading a few reviews about the F-Stop Loka the original seems to be better over the Ultra Light version but, can't seem to get it anywhere.

Would you still recommend the Loka UL?

Sorry it was actually the Loka UL i have, i wasn't needing anything to rugged, and i heard great things about the build quality of the UL anyway.

The best thing is the weight, it really does warrant the ultra light heading. I managed a 14 hour day with it (probably 8-10 hours carrying it) in 40 degree heat, fully loaded and it was so comfy.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
OP
Sorry it was actually the Loka UL i have, i wasn't needing anything to rugged, and i heard great things about the build quality of the UL anyway.

The best thing is the weight, it really does warrant the ultra light heading. I managed a 14 hour day with it (probably 8-10 hours carrying it) in 40 degree heat, fully loaded and it was so comfy.

:D

Back
Top Bottom