bluetooth project R&D

Associate
I'm working on a R&D project and really not sure where to start. I have a concept that requires small bluetooth transmitters that are either self powered or can be charged. This device then needs to be able to communicate with a smart phone via an app. Our company is looking at bringing in outside sources where needed to provide a proof of concept. I'm struggling with the devices tbh, the app I know I can do or source. any ideas?

Associate
OP
we're probably looking at paying for services and advice tbh, proof of concept may come to nothing. Based on what is achieved further investment/development can be negotiated

Soldato
didn't realise this was a spelling test on user names. Any sensible comments are welcome

how about reading the FAQ then?

No promotion of business interests
You may not promote any website or business you have a financial or other interest in, or use the popularity of this community to help build one of your own. The forums are here to allow people to freely share knowledge, not provide them with personal financial gain, or free advertising.
:rolleyes:

Soldato
I'm working on a R&D project and really not sure where to start. I have a concept that requires small bluetooth transmitters that are either self powered or can be charged. This device then needs to be able to communicate with a smart phone via an app. Our company is looking at bringing in outside sources where needed to provide a proof of concept. I'm struggling with the devices tbh, the app I know I can do or source. any ideas?

Get in touch with a local University, it is MSc project season - free labour!

Associate
What OS are you wanting to support?

iOS and Android both support LE (Android depending on handset). iOS can do classic Bluetooth - but if you want serial comms, you need MFi Android phones can do serial over classic BT no problem.

What type of Bluetooth? Classic or LE?

What kind of data?

All Bluetooth stuff is chip level, and thus small. Power on the LE is by nature very very low power.

Yeah Technical stuff is full of Acronyms.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
As far as I know you can do serial over BTLE on iOS now (or as good as), I've not really played with it so I don't know - I can't stand iOS development; xcode, objective-c and swift are all horrendous.

We (the company I work for) use classic bluetooth and serial comms and are MFI certified for that reason. It was an absolute nightmare - they wanted us to ship a 25kg, £800+ piece of hardware over to Cupertino so they could test it and wouldn't return it. We built them a simulator which they eventually accepted instead :p.

Last edited:
Associate
As far as I know you can do serial over BTLE on iOS now (or as good as), I've not really played with it so I don't know - I can't stand iOS development; xcode, objective-c and swift are all horrendous.

We (the company I work for) use classic bluetooth and serial comms and are MFI certified for that reason. It was an absolute nightmare - they wanted us to ship a 25kg, £800+ piece of hardware over to Cupertino so they could test it and wouldn't return it. We built them a simulator which they eventually accepted instead :p.

I got caught up in an MFi issue too. They wanted me to send something that didn't communicate with the iPhone in a normal way (it was sneaky) - but I was MFi registered. After loads of back and fourth with the reviewer, I escalated it and got the app in without sending anything :)

Yes you can do serial like comms over BTLE, but only short messages. The issue with that is you are targeting just iPhone 5 and onwards, and a whole world of pain with Android and compatibility.

Back
Top Bottom