*** Official Nintendo Wii U thread ***

Associate
Just been playing it for a bit - finding the controls a pain tbh - will keep trying, finding im not looking at the tv at all tho initially concentrating on the pad to target stuff.

Associate
Theres a learning curve to them but the controls are great once they click, stick with it.

Using the gyro/motion isnt actually required to get past most parts(u can aim by moving the ship too), so focus on the TV and keep the gamepad mostly still at first, pressing Y to center the reticle when required.
Then as you get more comfortable with movement etc, start looking at the gamepad for the more skilled fine-tuned shooting.

Pleasantly surprised by Starfox myself, played for 5 hours straight tonight, good stuff.

Soldato
Typical, I go to pick up Xenoblade X after a short hiatus and now I can't use the Wii U as the Mrs can't stop playing Bayonetta! :o :D

Not my cup of tea but it does look awesome.

Associate

was just going to post this :)

humble_zpsiae0fqjm.jpg

Associate
...those controls might be the crack in the foundation...

I called it :( I just wanted a good Star Fox game in 2016... heck even a Virtual Console release of Star Fox Assault would be appreciated enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w2RMBrmTsk

Folks claim that Nintendo listens to fans, they didn't listen to then on this one. Desire to innovation got in the way of a good game. Have they forgotten about options? They could still include their 'innovative controls' if they also had the option to play with regular controls too. Options! Is it too much to ask? My WiiU is itching for a new title after being burnt out on Xenoblade, I guess I'll have to wait for Zelda WiiU for that. Thought the Nintendo Selects Donkey Kong game looks very appealing... can I pick it up physical from high street stores?

Associate
I called it :(

Options! Is it too much to ask? My WiiU is itching for a new title after being burnt out on Xenoblade, I guess I'll have to wait for Zelda WiiU for that.

Everyone called it. At no point did the game look good. Even Platinum couldn't save it and everything they touch turns to, ahem, Gold.

TMS#FE released in June is something I'm looking forward too. An Atlus JRPG on the Wii U is a god send.

Soldato
I have really enjoyed starfox. Got used to the controls fairly swiftly. I have not played any kind of flying game in a long time so that act of flying certainly brings a sense of thrill.

Associate
Not sure if the NX will be a more console, but its been confirmed Zelda will release March next year; simultaneously for the U and ZX. If it is a more powerful 'next gen' console, I'll deffo be buying it.

Edit: "it's been confirmed" no it hasn't haha. My bad. It's releasing the same time on both consoles next year. But presumably March with the ZX.

Last edited:

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Ugh are they doing that again... That would mean ZERO Zelda exclusive on the Wii U, which is a huge part of the reason I buy Nintendo. Predominantly for Zelda, then I usually get more value from the system with the other franchise games.

Soldato
Nice humble bundle on those for $9.75, worth it for Shantae and Freedom Planet alone i think :) just bought. I like Shantae because it's a lot like the old Wonderboy games, almost nothing like that these days.

Also i wonder what they will do with Zelda for the NX, if they don't bump the graphics up quite a lot i don't really see a point in waiting to release on both consoles at the same time? Oh well.

Associate
The quality improvements for Zelda are going to apply to both versions for the most part (gameplay content etc), so both versions will be finished around the same time.

RE Starfox, I think it would be a worse game without the gyro and second screen - They would have had to find another way to build on the previous games if controls were standard. The all range mode dogfights are especially immersive with the second screen and cinematic TV view.
The impression I get is that people are just not willing to learn and adapt to a new control method, but for me that is a big part of the fun/challenge and what makes it feel fresh. Its clear from some reviews that they are just taking the wrong approach to the controls, and probably don't understand the calibrate function. The controls are hard, but far from broken and allow for more strategic gameplay options. Flying shouldn't be easy!.
The game is not perfect, there's some performance issues in places and a couple more new campaign mission would have gone a long way.

The Easy Allies(ex GT guys) review was spot on

Soldato
I haven't tried it, but doubt reviewers just aren't putting the time in. If people are taking the wrong approach to the controls then the controls simply aren't that great. The same thing was said about Kid Icarus on the 3DS. And guess what, the controls weren't great on that too. It may well be a decent game and I'll likely pick it up at some point, but really don't view this as a proper Star Fox. Remember when the snes and N64 versions came out? My mind was BLOWN. There was no quibbles over controls and people not getting it - just collective minds being blown by everyone who saw or played them.

It would have made more sense to me to have a Wiimote and Nunchuck Star Fox and I'll never forgive Nintendo for not giving us Star Fox and Pilot Wings on the Wii! It's hard to think of bigger missed opportunities than that. The install base was there, Nintendo! You colossal ****wits!!!

Associate
I don't think its because they're not putting the time in, just taking the wrong approach and not making the most of the standard movement system in conjunction with motion, i.e. moving the ship in Zero will still move the cursor - 90% of the Arwing sections can be played like the original Starfox console games, assuming you keep the GamePad relatively still. You could spend all the time in the world trying to learn something but won't get far with the wrong perspective.

It's like how many feel like the controls in fighting games are too difficult, it's a similar thing here imo - it's not that the controls are bad, you just have to take a learning approach with them. Most are used to controls not being a part of the challenge in video-games these days, but why shouldn't they be?, as long as they are functionally sound the implementation makes sense in context and challenge.

I will say that I don't think the game does quite good enough a job teaching you how to play properly, so that's probably part of the problem. And I get why opinions are divisive on the controls, they're not the most intuitive due to dealing with 2 screens simultaneously and recalibration, but I think many people are missing out on a really good game due to at least some misconception.

Disagree on Kid Icarus too :p, one of the best 3DS games thanks to the controls, if you can deal with the hand aches...

Remember when the snes and N64 versions came out? My mind was BLOWN. There was no quibbles over controls and people not getting it - just collective minds being blown by everyone who saw or played them.

Yep I remember :D. 3D graphics were still quite a new thing back then. A new Starfox game with more 'next gen' graphics wouldn't have even close to the same impact as many N64 games had. Nintendo need to find ways to make the experience fresh, and they chose to try doing that with controls.

Last edited:
Soldato
just sold all my Wii U stuff for £320 on Cex, just wasn't getting used enough and couldn't get to grips with Star Fox and what with Zelda now delayed and out on their new system i though i would cash in now rather than wait and get even less.

Associate
just sold all my Wii U stuff for £320 on Cex, just wasn't getting used enough and couldn't get to grips with Star Fox and what with Zelda now delayed and out on their new system i though i would cash in now rather than wait and get even less.

I'd rather have the system than the money. The replay value on local multiplayer titles on the Wii U, you just can't get anywhere NEAR that anywhere else imo.

Back
Top Bottom