HGV1/ HGV2 Course.

Associate
Can someone please explain what the different catogerys are all about. I've read information on the internet but its very contradicting.

I only have a normal Cat A + B on my driving license, whats the best way of getting Cat C.

I've just been made redudant from my job, and would like to make a career in driving, is this a good idea?

Caporegime
Can someone please explain what the different catogerys are all about. I've read information on the internet but its very contradicting.

I only have a normal Cat A + B on my driving license, whats the best way of getting Cat C.

I've just been made redudant from my job, and would like to make a career in driving, is this a good idea?

Medium sized goods vehicles

Category C1

A medium sized lorry with a maximum authorised mass (MAM) of at least 4 tonnes, at least 5 metres in length, capable of 80 km/h (50 mph) and with a closed box cargo compartment at least as wide and as high as the cab.

Category C1 + E

There are two types of test vehicle in the C1 + E category.

* A drawbar outfit made from a combination of a category C1 vehicle towing a trailer of at least 2 tonnes MAM with a combined length of at least 8 metres, capable of 80 km/h (50 mph) and with a closed box trailer at least as high and as wide as the towing vehicle. The trailer may be slightly less wide than the towing vehicle, but the view to the rear must be by use of external mirrors only.
* A medium sized articulated lorry with a MAM of at least six tonnes with a combined length of at least 8 metres, capable of 80 km/h (50 mph) and with a closed box trailer at least as high and as wide as the towing vehicle. The trailer may be slightly less wide than the towing vehicle, but the view to the rear must be by use of external mirrors only.

Large goods vehicles

Category C

A rigid goods vehicle with a MAM of at least 12 tonnes, at least eight metres in length and least 2.4 metres in width, capable of 80 km/h (50 mph). The vehicle should have at least eight forward ratios, a closed box cargo compartment at least as wide and as high as the cab.

Category C + E

There are two types of test vehicle in the C + E category.

* A drawbar outfit made from a combination of a category C vehicle and trailer with a MAM of 20 tonnes and a length of at least 7.5 metres from coupling eye to extreme rear and a combined length of at least 14 metres with a trailer at least 2.4 metres in width. The vehicle combination should be capable of 80 km/h (50 mph), with at least 8 forward ratios and a closed box cargo compartment at least as wide and as high as the cab.
* An articulated lorry with a MAM of at least 20 tonnes, with a minimum length of 14 metres and and minimum width of at least 2.4 metres. The maximum length of the vehicle is 16.5 metres (54 feet) or for a low-loader trailer manafactured on or after 1 April 1981 the maximum length is 18 metres (59 feet). The vehicle should be capable of 80 km/h (50 mph) and have with at least 8 forward ratios and a closed box cargo compartment at least as wide and as high as the cab

In a nutshell, a rigid vehicle is Class C, an atriculated one is Class C+E.

The best option is to phone around some local LGV / HGV training schools and ask for an assessment. Then you will see if driving such a vehicle actually appeals from the sharp end!

Assuming you then gain your licence, then the funs starts. You'd have to register with as many employment agencies as you could to build and gain experience, without experience, you won't get regular employment. You'll find this hard at the start so take any driving related job thats offered (even if its driving a Fiesta van) and make it known to the company concerned that you have an LGV licence, if they see you do a good job on the smaller vehicle, you'll often get a break on something bigger.

Its a lot of outlay for a job that certainly when your newly qualified, you'll find difficult to get on the bottom rung of the ladder.

And even when your near the top of the ladder, the money is not too great.

On the other hand, whilst the rules & regulations are slowly ruining the job, I enjoy it and can think of harder ways to earn a living.

I get paid to drive around in a flashy Scania is how I view it! :D

Associate
OP
Cheers for the reply mate.

Can I ask what you think is the best route, regarding what tests you took?

Have you got the full C+E? is it best to jump in at the deep end?

Man of Honour
This always seemed like quite a cool career until I found out you get paid like 7 quid an hour.

Which is about what you get paid in Tesco :confused:

Man of Honour
No, its nothing like ie. It's half that, but R124 can explain more as he's a proper trucker with a proper truck company.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;15373724 said:
he's a proper trucker
I wish.... ;) :D:D:D

[TW]Fox;15373724 said:
with a proper truck company.
They are that. http://www.stobartgroup.co.uk/Services/Corporate/General-Distribution-Division/

R420 can you please explain and give me some information regards wages.

I'm on £7.10 per hour before from 6am to 6PM and £8.10 per hour after - more at weekends - I get a £12 odd meal allowance every shift also. I take home circa £405 for an average week.....

Plenty of driving jobs pay a lot less than my employers, the plus side of my relatively low rate is I get to drive decent modern kit thats legal and well maintained and given the sort of work that I do, the rate suits the job.

Considering the outlay required (Gaining your Class C licence and then if you want to drive Artics, the C+E) the pay across the industry could be better!!!

I passed my Class C back in 1996 which I paid for myself (circa £650 back then) and then took my LGV1 in 2004 as the employer I worked for paid for it. This is the best route.

Gain your Class C, and assuming you like the job (many don't) go for the proper toys.... ;)

Im pretty sure its more like £15 an hour?

In some parts of the country, driving a hazzardous load, working weekends,agency rate - Possibly. But forget that rate of pay for a new starter.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thought I'd dig this old thread up again. I finally pulled my finger out. I've had my medical on Friday. Sent it off to DVLA today. So will crack on with the 4 modules as soon as it's back to get my CPC.

I'm based in Swindon, Wiltshire. There's appears to be a lot of work on indeed websites of £12 ish an hour. Plus Aldi distribution center down the road from me.

Do you think £12 is achievable?

Hope your still enjoying your work Scania.

I assume all info for modules 1 and 2 can be found online?

Thanks again.

Soldato
I always knew the pay wasn't great, but £7.10 per hour?? And at a proper company like Stobarts? That's just ridiculous.

I've just left a job which was incredibly easy, required no expenditure, qualifications, or even a commute, and I got a good bit more than that. And yet if I screw up, the worst thing that'd happen is I'd lose my job, if you screw up for even half a second you could end up killing a load of people. I just can't see how they can justify paying such a low wage. Especially when you think of what tube drivers get for what is essentially pressing a button occasionally.

Soldato
That does seem very low, I used to drive for a dairy doing 2-3 drops to cdc's on a night, I got £11.50 per hour in 2007 and 55hrs a week.

My little brother passed his rigid a year ago and drives for agencies, but never for less than £9 per hour an similar hours.

Back
Top Bottom