** NHL & Ice Hockey Discussion **

Associate
Caps v Flyers has been a bit of a joke to watch. Complete mismatch of quality there. But hey, despite playing the worst team in the playoffs, you have to give the Caps credit for not cracking and just coming out, playing good hockey and take the series comfortably.

Would that be the same flyers who made it 3-2 last night? So much for your "take the series comfortably" comment. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Yup I spoke to soon there. Caps have buckled a bit - and ditching Mason was a great move. My comment was completely valid at the time though ;)
Caps came out and dominated a lesser team...then they just...kind of stopped and allowed the Flyers to gain momentum with a goalie change.

For a neutral it's made it interesting though so credit to them for that. Proved me wrong - don't mind that at all.

Blues so unlucky to not take the series 4-1. Hopefully they can win 3rd in a row in Chicago tonight. But if not I still believe they can rally and win it in 7 at home.
But come on...having to beat the Blackhawks and Stars in Round 1/2...Likewise either of them having to beat the Blues and each other. Hardest part of the bracket by a mile. 3 best teams in the West - it's brutal...but very fun.

Associate
Yup I spoke to soon there. Caps have buckled a bit - and ditching Mason was a great move. My comment was completely valid at the time though ;)
Caps came out and dominated a lesser team...then they just...kind of stopped and allowed the Flyers to gain momentum with a goalie change.

For a neutral it's made it interesting though so credit to them for that. Proved me wrong - don't mind that at all.

Blues so unlucky to not take the series 4-1. Hopefully they can win 3rd in a row in Chicago tonight. But if not I still believe they can rally and win it in 7 at home.
But come on...having to beat the Blackhawks and Stars in Round 1/2...Likewise either of them having to beat the Blues and each other. Hardest part of the bracket by a mile. 3 best teams in the West - it's brutal...but very fun.
I was just playing ;) bro, but defo never assume anything in the playoffs lol. I think the flyers will push it to a game 7 on Weds. I think the caps won't make it through the the next round anyhow. The regular season is slow burn, when everything is on the line it's a mix of nerves, ability and sheer passion (the former is what the flyers are using at the mo, like every year).

Every year I see that the playoffs are a different animal. It's all about passion and less about skill. Which is why I never count the flyers out.

Soldato
I was just playing ;) bro, but defo never assume anything in the playoffs lol. I think the flyers will push it to a game 7 on Weds. I think the caps won't make it through the the next round anyhow. The regular season is slow burn, when everything is on the line it's a mix of nerves, ability and sheer passion (the former is what the flyers are using at the mo, like every year).

Every year I see that the playoffs are a different animal. It's all about passion and less about skill. Which is why I never count the flyers out.

Haha yeah this is why we love the playoffs so much. It really is a complete reset where any team can win. Everything picks up a few gears and 1 or 2 big games from certain players can really make the difference in a series.

I still think the Penguins are the best team in the east now - certainly playing the best hockey so i fancy them to go all the way but it'll be fun finding out.

I'm in the UK now so i'll miss the Caps / Flyers game flying back home but i'm interested to see how it pans out.

I'm gutted about the Blues game last night. 3-1 lead and then Penalties just killed us. It's really the only reason this series isn't over. If Blues staye out the box, they'd have beat the Blackhawks in 5 games :mad:

Game 7 is going to be intense. I'm not even sure I can bare to watch it :D
I was going crazy when it was 3-1....then my mood just got worse and worse which each Chicago goal. lol

But hey...like this series was ever going to end in less than 7. It's far too closely matched. So they can still bring it back home tomorrow night and win!!! I believe!!!!!!!!! Stay out the box, and they move to Round 2. They've had the upper hand 5 on 5 the whole series pretty much

Congrats to Lightning/Penguins/Sharks for advancing. (and also making sure my bracket prediction is all correct so far)
Who's next!!!

Associate
RIP In Pepperoni Flyers

Awesome series and I'm surprised we managed to take it to 6 games. Kind of felt like Giroux and Voracek didn't even lace up, they were no where to be seen really.

Soldato
Penguins v Capitals should be a cracking series!

I hope the Blues can knock out the Blackhawks. I'm getting fed up of their constant appearance in the final couple of rounds.

That's the matchup i'm looking forward to in the East for sure.
Penguins have been playing some great hockey lately so it should make for a very good series of games.
I still have a soft spot for the Penguins from my childhood.

I think we all knew Blues / Hawks would go to 7 this year. Blues are very much improved and better prepared but end of the day it's just so tough to knock the Hawks out.

But...they did go and win 2 in a row in Chicago which is very hard to do in the playoffs. So if they just come out and play like they did 2 games ago in St Louis they will win this game 7. I'm 100% certain of that. If they do not play like that...Elliot will be the key.
But despite my nerves...i'm quietly confident if we keep them to only 1 or 2 powerplays we'll be golden.
Blues PK is great but you can't give the Hawks offence constant powerplays. Hawks havne't been a great possession team this year so giving them a man advantage is playing into their hands because that's when the skill and talent will gain momentum.

Keep it clean and well drilled and beat them 5 on 5.

Associate
Well i'll be rooting for the Blues to win this series. If your playoff prediction is correct with a Blues vs Penguins final, do you really believe the Blues can contain the speed and skill throughout the Penguins line up?

Soldato
I think it would have similarities to the Blues v Hawks. Penguins are faster and more skillful but the Blues can win the battles up the ice and cause turnovers and they have some skillful shooters themselves. The Penguins are playing great right now and it'll be tough for anyone to contain them at the minute. I think a team like the Blues could suffocate the offence though and pick them off....but that could just be wishful fan thinking.

They need to get to Round 2 first...then somehow contend with the Stars offensive skill. Stars leak goals though so I think Blues or Hawks will take them out.

If Blues can't make it, i'm just happy with anyone who hasn't competed lately from both sides. With no LA or Boston, a Hawks exit would be great so we can see someone else come through. Even though Pens were the last before that group!

Soldato
Wow...That was intense!!

I woke up to a Whatsapp message from my friend in Canada and the only part I seen without opening it before my brain shut it out was 'I'm so glad the Hawks...'
And when I went to visit her a couple of weeks ago she said since there are no Canadian teams left she wouldn't mind the Hawks winning it again so naturally I was stressed the entire game watching it

Even at 3-2 I was convinced they would leak a late goal and lose in OT.

Turns out it was 'I'm so glad the Hawks are out' so she must have had a change of heart and come around to my constant badgering to show support for the Blues

I was jumping around my apartment like a madman and I ended up mega late for work and now I'm too happy to even function anyway

Dallas next...doesn't get any easier!

Soldato
Round 2 has some pretty exciting matchups. I think all of them are looking really good.

I'm still pegging NYI as my dark horse.
Most underestimate them but I've seen a few of their better games this year and when they are hot they could beat anyone. Their problem is consistency so they can certainly surprise some people.

Lightning have performed better in the playoffs though so they will still be tough to knock.

Obviously Blues/Stars is my series, but Pens/Caps in the East is one I'll be very interested in as if the Blues go all the way 1 of those is the most likely opponent.

Sharks will give either the Ducks or Preds a good series.

In fact...this year has seen a lot of teams overcoming their playoff woes.
Blues finally progress again, Preds finally force a game 7 to give themselves a chance, NYI make it to Round 2 for first time in over 20 years. Sharks beat the Kings (quite easily).

I'm neutral on it but I kind of want the Preds to win to make Round 2 as different from 2015 as possible. :)

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
I think isles are a good shout. Tav has been a beast all season.the guy has hands like you rarely see. Only thing I would counter argue against is their scoring capabilities. Do they really have that ability to get pucks deep and create opportunities. I watch the isles as often as I can and I'm more confident in the Caps and Pens in that respect.

I think now the hawks are golfing that that sharks are the real threat. pav and Burns have real presence in terms of puck movement and play development. You watch the next SJ game and look at their blue line defensive play. It really is some of the best coached hockey in the league. Their scoring isn't up where it should be but they have that trap sussed.

Time will tell. Honestly I'm rooting caps now. Reason one is they knocked us out so respectful fans back the team that eliminated your team. (Unless the Rangers knock you out)

That and they are facing the pens. And I want to see Ovi, oshie and backstrom give that pens rookie goalie a damn good hiding.

Soldato
Well last night Islanders relied on their goaltending which would't have been expected from Greiss but he's playing quite well. Bishop had a shocker though so that's a free win really. But they have plenty talent so always will be in with a chance.

I agree on the Sharks. I actually seen them live a few weeks back. It was only against Vancouver but they just suffocated them easily then countered with quick passing plays.

Sharks and Islanders are both the teams on each side getting less attention but who could find themselves progressing.

If the Blues get knocked out I'd just support whoever has wen the longest without winning the cup. I like to see new teams winning. Behind the Blues, I'd be happy with any current team in it to go on and win.

Murray has really stepped up since coming in so it'll be interesting to see if he starts getting scored on whether he buckles or whether he bounces back. No doubt at all the Caps will answer that question at some point in this series.

Soldato
Another cracking battle from the Blues after letting Dallas come back in P3.
Yet again it's a very tight, close series and it's going to take another all around team effort to progress.
I'll be devastated with anything less than the cup obviously as a fan but honestly even if they get knocked out i'm very happy with how this team has performed this time around compared to recent years.

Well done Blues. No let's try and come away with 2 home wins!!

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
This Blues Dallas game is going off.

Love watching hockey like this. Absolutely brilliant. End to end, fantastic pace.

Soldato
I can't hide my excitement at the minute.

1 more win at Scotstrade on Tuesday...come on!

One thing i'm proud of from this Blues team is despite losing 5 playoff games, all of them have been very tight, narrow losses. 2 of the best teams in the NHL haven't dominated them once out of 12 games. That's what it takes to be a cup winning team - consistency. Even the 2nd Dallas win was gifted to them by a rookie mistake then the Captain taking a terrible tripping minor seconds later...and it still took OT.

Hitch has a terrible knack for turtling up when we have a 2 goal lead but he let them keep playing in game 3 and look what happened...we scored 3 more! Hopefully he has learnt from that...if you have a good momentum and a lead you keep pushing it...

4-1 in game 5 was a bit flattering for us but it was a fun game and a good win away from home. Please don't make me sit through another nervous game 7....haha

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
That last blues Dallas game was hilarious to watch. Such a strong team in Dallas and they just crumbled.

Blues for West finalists in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom