Well, here's my results.

Wi-Fi:

Wi-Fi:
1461418860362579755-mini.png

PHONE:
1890582237.png

LAN:

Wi-Fi:

Hmm, so for some reason, Ookla isn't giving me proper wireless speeds on my laptop, but it does on my phone.

Soldato
5271300947.png

Switched from Sky ADSL to Virgin's 200mbps 'service' a few weeks ago. Badly regretting it now.

This is about normal between 6pm and 11pm.

Are you using the new Super Hub 3? I had the same issue and I had to do a factory reset on the router and since then I get a constant 100MB even in the evenings even though the Virgin representatives had fobbed me off before by telling me there's over utilization in my area. I am using the 5 Ghz connection and have a ac wireless card.

Associate
Are you using the new Super Hub 3? I had the same issue and I had to do a factory reset on the router and since then I get a constant 100MB even in the evenings even though the Virgin representatives had fobbed me off before by telling me there's over utilization in my area. I am using the 5 Ghz connection and have a ac wireless card.

Create a think broadband monitor to see if it's a utilization issue in evenings only or poor power levels on your hub in general. I'm on 200mbs in a very busy student area and still get 160 most evenings so no complaints from me.

Associate
Urrrghhh, moving flat and BT couldn't transfer my fibre despite it being enabled in every other flat in the building. Decided to give VM a try as their boxes were already on the wall in the new place. Ordered online, chose an installation date of 28th of April, all seems good.

Today I get an email saying that the 28th of April has been cancelled and the next soonest they can do it is the 6th of July! Over 9 weeks without any phone or broadband service in my new flat is beyond poor. I called them up and the poor person on the service desk didn't seem to have anything they could do about it. Any strategies with VM to get some movement out of them? :mad:

Associate
Urrrghhh, moving flat and BT couldn't transfer my fibre despite it being enabled in every other flat in the building. Decided to give VM a try as their boxes were already on the wall in the new place. Ordered online, chose an installation date of 28th of April, all seems good.

Today I get an email saying that the 28th of April has been cancelled and the next soonest they can do it is the 6th of July! Over 9 weeks without any phone or broadband service in my new flat is beyond poor. I called them up and the poor person on the service desk didn't seem to have anything they could do about it. Any strategies with VM to get some movement out of them? :mad:

Ask for a Quick-start kit to be sent through the post, you can install it yourself!

Reminder for you all New customers who want to sign up on Mates Rate (I get staff discount as I work for VM), send me an email: dean_7188 at hotmail . co . uk or via trust

Associate
There was no option for that when I signed up. I assumed the old cable boxes in this flat were defunct hence the need for an engineer visit. I think they say cable and wireless on them, that's how old they are! :p

Still worth asking for a self install kit?

Associate
So I had a reply to a tweet I sent to VM about the long install time. A nice Alexandra is helping me out on web chat. No-one knows why the wait is so long, it's not construction related and the flat is already cabled. They are trying to convert my order to a self install as you suggested, currently waiting while they call through to the self install team on my behalf. :)

Edit; Just checked and despite being old cable and wireless boxes there is a bloody virgin media modem plugged into one that the last tenant left behind! I have a good feeling about getting a self install ;)

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Virgin Media Commits to Huge UK Rollout of Ultrafast FTTP Broadband

The move means that over 1 million of the extra premises will be able to connect to Virgin Media’s network via FTTP technology, which is about as close to future proof as you can currently get. This would also mean that Virgin “becomes the UK’s largest wholly fibre broadband network” and by “fibre” they actually mean pure fibre optic, for a change (BT has about 200,000+ premises passed with FTTP and Hyperoptic are believed to be at a similar level).

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...-big-uk-rollout-ultrafast-fttp-broadband.html

Soldato
It looks like it's connected at 2.4Ghz and possibly only supports a single stream.

My MacBook Pro is a 3x3 device and can get over 100Mb/s on 2.4GHz.

Is your laptop connected to the 5GHz network?

Yes. I installed a new dual band card recently. In fact, I even got ookla to show good speeds wirelessly just after installing it.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29347011&postcount=16

That's got nothing to do with Ookla and everything to do with how your laptop is connecting to the hub.

So why are my first two screenshots with the other two speed checkers showing good speeds but never ookla anymore?

Associate
Soldato
The best news to come out since before the announcement of the NTL/Telewest merger.
Maybe now (more?) VM BB customers will start getting a great BB service like Telewest were renowned for, before VM/NTL took over.

It depends if they invest in their backbone infrastructure. If VM just extend fibre from the cabs to the door, all they are doing is creating higher headline speeds for marketing purposes that just bottlenecks as you try to use it through the VM network.

There's already far too many people affected by over-subscription, but VM still sell higher speeds and put more customers on segments claiming speeds that can't be supported when people want to use it.

Associate
It depends if they invest in their backbone infrastructure. If VM just extend fibre from the cabs to the door, all they are doing is creating higher headline speeds for marketing purposes that just bottlenecks as you try to use it through the VM network.

There's already far too many people affected by over-subscription, but VM still sell higher speeds and put more customers on segments claiming speeds that can't be supported when people want to use it.
+1
However, they obviously have to upgrade those parts or else they will face by far an even more list of complaints. If they do not, then they will literally be known for worse than what they already are. And it that does become the case then whoever is in charge of these really will need to get the sack, I mean VM have always easily by far had the best potential of providing the best national BB network but as of yet have yet to show anything for it, all for the sake of trying to micro-manage their finances with a tooth-brush in order to reduce their company debt. Yet they're now investing £3billion into FTTP? a huge WTF is going on...

Back
Top Bottom