Naz Shah suspended for anti-Semitism

Soldato
Well if that's what we consider anti-semitism, I'm astounded.

Yeah it's not overly anti Semitic but it is anti Semitic in that it says the Jews are not entitled to have a nation state by saying they should be 're-housed' in America. As an analogy, if we said Mecca should be moved to Florida, I'm sure them Muslims would be rioting in the streets and torching Embassy's. Dem religious types are always on a hair trigger when defending their imaginary friends. ;)

Soldato
Yeah it's not overly anti Semitic but it is anti Semitic in that it says the Jews are not entitled to have a nation state by saying they should be 're-housed' in America. As an analogy, if we said Mecca should be moved to Florida, I'm sure them Muslims would be rioting in the streets and torching Embassy's. Dem religious types are always on a hair trigger when defending their imaginary friends. ;)

Is it really OK to say that a religion should be entitled to a nation state? I'm not sure.

What you're saying does put a very different spin on things which I certainly didn't see in what she said. Fact is, if all the population of Israel were in America, we wouldn't have the situation that we have now.

Soldato
People should be free to attack the politics and defence policy of the state of Israel without being accused of attacking the Jewish religion and people. The Government of Israel is not the Jewish religion and cannot speak for all Jewish people around the world (the majority of which do not even live in Israel).

exactly - just because someone has a pop at the actions of the Israeli Government and security forces, doesn't automatically make it anti-semitic

Soldato
Is it really OK to say that a religion should be entitled to a nation state? I'm not sure.

What you're saying does put a very different spin on things which I certainly didn't see in what she said. Fact is, if all the population of Israel were in America, we wouldn't have the situation that we have now.

Israel is the place where the Jews believe the Messiah will come down to Earth. The Temple Mount is the holiest site in Judaism, and it's slap bang in the middle of Jerusalem. To say that the Jews should abandon it and relocate to America is offensive to them, hence the minor anti Semitism in the OP's opening post. As an atheist this is all hot air to me, but the Jews are very touchy on the matter and obviously they are playing the offense card on this.

Soldato
exactly - just because someone has a pop at the actions of the Israeli Government and security forces, doesn't automatically make it anti-semitic

Equally doesn't make her not a bad person, but the quoted incident with the map, well there are a few in europe who think the UK would be happier parked somewhere off rhode island, but I don't take offence at that - they have a point :p

Soldato
Israel is the place where the Jews believe the Messiah will come down to Earth. The Temple Mount is the holiest site in Judaism, and it's slap bang in the middle of Jerusalem. To say that the Jews should abandon it and relocate to America is offensive to them, hence the minor anti Semitism in the OP's opening post. As an atheist this is all hot air to me, but the Jews are very touchy on the matter and obviously they are playing the offense card on this.

I appreciate what you're saying - it's a sensitive situation, but it's very much a boy who cried wolf osrt of situation to me.

Soldato

Jerusalem is a holy place for all the Abrahamic religions to be fair

Associate
... but it is anti Semitic in that it says the Jews are not entitled to have a nation state by saying they should be 're-housed' in America.

Why should a religion be entitled to have a nation state?
Why should the rights of a religion to have a nation state trump the rights of the people living where said nation state is created?

Associate

Indeed but because of this prophecy from thousands of years ago should we hence allow them to build a country around this site which is also important to Muslims and Christians, displacing tens of thousands of people, and take full control over who can and can't access it?

Soldato
Why should a religion be entitled to have a nation state?
Why should the rights of a religion to have a nation state trump the rights of the people living where said nation state is created?

Well if we could answer that satisfactorily, then we'd solve the Israel Palestine conflict in one foul sweep. I don't want to get into the Israel Palestine thing, it's been done to death on these forums.

Associate
So she hasn't said anything anti-semetic...she said that Israel should be moved to America. It would certainly end the conflict, give Palestinians their homes back, and ensure that the Israel have the Americans even further up their arses.

Nor am I convinced that Zionism is much different from Al Qaeda...American funded again!

**** Israel.

This, in spades. Israel is exactly the same as Daesh, only the yanks are handing over the land they were promised by the imaginary man. :)

Associate
Well if we could answer that satisfactorily, then we'd solve the Israel Palestine conflict in one foul sweep. I don't want to get into the Israel Palestine thing, it's been done to death on these forums.

Would you agree then that considering how complicated the situation is that the best course of action would have been to have not created it in the first place?

Back
Top Bottom