Have you ever applied for a job where you don't meet some of the 'essential' parts in the person spe

Soldato
Hi all,

Whilst not actively looking for jobs, however there has been a job popup on my LinkedIn feed for a Commercial Manager Role at the local council.

My current role and role for a good few years has been Sales Manager...so basically do the opposite of what a Commercial Manager does.

Now in the role I maybe fit into 80% of the required person 'Specification' however some parts for example...require a proven track record in developing service products into new markets is one thing I do not have as I sell products rather than services.

I was wondering if people have actually gone for roles where you may not fit the Criteria but been successful in getting the job?

I think the role is quite senior with a salary of around £42k which as a basic is a big jump for me, although when you consider company car, projected bonuses for this year etc it will provide around £5k per annum wage increase for this year which is most welcome, however as a constantally growing market I would say 2017 would be on par if not slightly more than this role...but puts me in similar line of seniority/Pay Scale to the Council Job.

I feel I would be a good candidate but being on the opposite side of the job role it may be out of reach.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes.

If you meet 1/3 of the full spec, as a rule of thumb, go for it. The worst that can happen is they say no. The best is that the spec was 90% HR faff, and has nothing to do with what's actually required! I wouldn't lose sleep over one 'essential' requirement, unless it was something fundamental to the job; like knowing an X CRM system, which the company has used for everything they do, and you've never heard of.

Soldato
OP
Great thanks guys...like you say what is the worst that can happen!?

Will let you know how I get on.

Soldato
Great thanks guys...like you say what is the worst that can happen!?

Will let you know how I get on.

Np, mate. Just put your case to them as strongly as you can, and leave the ball in their court. Chase up if they are a bit quiet in a few days past the deadline. Otherwise, good luck!

Caporegime
Pretty much everyone in the professional world lol.

As above the majority of advertisements are put together by HR staff that have no idea what the job actually entails. They'll ask the manager of that department for what they want and will literally just list it all down as essential.

Soldato
I've applied for loads of jobs where I don't meet the full spec, never landed one but I have had a few interviews where the employer has still been interested in me, interviewed seemingly well, only to be told that "although we were impressed you have lost out to someone who does have the full experience required" or has "a bit more experience in a similar role".

So I'd say its worth a punt! You never know! If you can get an interview then you have a real chance!

Soldato
OP
Thanks All :)

Well may aswell give it a bash.

Believe it or not at 30 years old, if I even got the interview this would be my first ever formal interview! I will even have to create a CV as I think the only one I have ever done was back in college in one of the lessons!

Will let you all know how I get on :)

Soldato
OP
Well I didn't apply in the end due to lack of time to complete the application before it shut.

It has however been re-advertised so may be a sign!!

Funny enough went to visit a customer last week and was speaking to the guy who incidentally moved from Sales Manager to Commercial Director, he said I would be quite a perfect candidate as due to the sales side I would have empathy for the sales teams, as well as knowing the tricks of the trade used when people try and purchase.

May have to apply and see where it gets me.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
I've read somewhere that if you meet at least 70% of the criteria, you should at least try unless it's something critical to the role.

e.g. Not knowing a system or language in a role that specifically needs expertise in it, etc.

Caporegime
Now in the role I maybe fit into 80% of the required person 'Specification' however some parts for example...require a proven track record in developing service products into new markets is one thing I do not have as I sell products rather than services.

as long as you're not exaggerating the 80% as in when they mean they want experience of X, Y and Z they have a different standard in mind... like they want someone who did X regularly but you did X maybe once when covering for someone or for a single project etc..

since it isn't a technical position there probably isn't too much of an issue with simply picking up the rest as you go

Soldato
OP
Thanks Guys, going to go through the application with my wife as she is really good at things like that.

No harm in sticking the application in for the sake of an hour or so bit of work.

Another curve ball has also been thrown, local Police Authority have started to take on students....as a complete change of career and to follow in my dads footsteps this is also a consideration...although short term a big drop in wage, long term a potentially great career.

Soldato
When you write a job description, you put on the ideal candidate, so you have a huge wishlist of things you'd love them to be able to do. When the reality most people don't have all of that experience and as said above, if you can do 70% of it, it's normally more than enough to qualify you.

Soldato
OP
When you write a job description, you put on the ideal candidate, so you have a huge wishlist of things you'd love them to be able to do. When the reality most people don't have all of that experience and as said above, if you can do 70% of it, it's normally more than enough to qualify you.

Thanks for the input.

As mentioned it is almost the complete opposite...commercial rather than the sales role I am in now, however as mentioned when I went to go see a customer the guy had recently moved from Sales Manager to Commercial Director and said the sales side gives him a great insight on the commercial side, it is just all about developing and learning the new role.

Back
Top Bottom