Exploded Sony Z3...

Soldato
So, I use a company mobile (iPhone 6S), I've left my Z3 unattended for months, checking it once in a blue moon. I've just gone to check it and the back was hanging off and cracked. The battery is swollen up like a little balloon.

I'm on the ol' webchat to Three now but I think they might try and wrangle out of it as my contract is up in several months...

Is this uncommon?

Note, the phone is 1 year and 6 months old.

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/QdqdR

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't know about uncommon, that sounds bloody dangerous. Lucky you didn't have a fire! I'd be giving them hell tbh. Phones don't tend to just explode.

Soldato
OP
Got a 'conference' call between Three and Sony tomorrow, the phone is under manufacturer warranty. So bloody lucky I don't use it! Only today had I stated in the S7 thread on my future phone choice lol.

Soldato
Just imagine if you had been using it. And a the battery actually exploded in your pocket or God forbid your ear/head. I've heard of phones doing this before. But not usually when they're switched off and sat in a cupboard. :eek:

Soldato
OP
Three are NOT being helpful, I'm going round in circles on the phones trying to get a resolution. All I'm being told is to contact Sony and Three can't do anything to get me up and running in the mean time.

I don't mind calling Sony, but the point is, I'm paying Three for a phone per month that has become a HUGE safety risk.

They have offered to do an early upgrade with 50% on the upfront cost. Which means I have to dish out £85 for an early upgrade. Not sure. If I don't get a new phone back from Sony, then I'm out of pocket. If I do, I'll sell it online.

Soldato
OP
Update, repair order placed with Sony, they will collect it tomorrow most likely. I will expect they will send back a new handset. If so, I'll sell.

I'm going to Three in Slough today at lunch to sort out a S7 Edge. I'll be taking in the broken Z3 for a laugh to see if I can use it to get a better deal.

Back
Top Bottom