IPS Backlight bleed... how bad is too bad?

Associate
I'd already had an ASUS PG279Q which I'm happy with, but wanted a 4K one for watching films/occasional gaming where pixels are more important than frames... so I got the PG27AQ

When I checked the backlight bleed the PG27AQ looked worse than the PG279Q, but it's not so bad that it's noticable when watching a film (watched Crimson Peak and didn't notice and that's got a lot of dark bits...)...

And setting both screens to the sRGB preset colour settings the PG27AQ looks a little yellow-er...

So, given all the problems with RMA/Returns, how much back-light-bleed is too much? how much is fine?

Aaaaand... I get that the panels will be different - so maybe identical settings wont make the same colour... so I don't know if the colour is something I need to adjust manually, or if the difference means I should return it for a replacement...

Incidently - 4k is so beutiful... I get why people were stoked for it when it came out now :)

Soldato
I don't know where this myth comes from, that icc profiles will help with backlight bleed.

The only thing that makes any difference is the physical brightness setting of a monitor which effectively controls the output of the panels backlighting. That's why it's called bleed, it's actually light leaking from badly built/ ill fitting chassis. Turn the brightness down, and the backlight bleed is reduced by obvious returns, but you'll never get rid of it, it's just lessened.

Icc Profiles can adjust the gamma of a monitor, but this has little effect for backlight bleed for the reasons above.

Associate
OP
I think he was suggesting it to see if the colour profiles of the two screens could be matched...

It occured to me that it might be an idea to take a picture so...

20160428_225830.jpg

I'm convinced that this is worse than it looks to the human (or at least mine) eye... this is set at on the sRGB default setting, so there's no brightness adjustment (it's greyed out)

Associate
So, given all the problems with RMA/Returns, how much back-light-bleed is too much? how much is fine?

When its bad enough to have caused you to make a forum post about it.

I had a similar decision with my AOC 21:9 monitor. When you are testing it you can't stop looking at the problem area. You have to rationalise whether that will always continue to be the case months down the line.

A year in and it has to be a near 100% dark game in the middle of the night for me to remember the bottom right corner has a bleed issue. But after original delivery of it I simply was having a problem looking past that corner at all.

But you need to know when to bail and send it back under 7 day (or 14?) returns. Because as you said, having a rational discussion with a manufacturer over bleed is a no go.

Soldato
Backlight bleed isn't a panel or IPS thing, it's a construction thing. It depends on how well the panel is fitted to the frame. The ultra wide screens and curved screens seem to suffer the most as getting a uniform fit is harder.

IPS panels do suffer from IPS glow due to the shape of the elements of the screen, but this is normally an even glow across the whole panel, and is mostly only really noticable in a very dark room.

Back
Top Bottom